Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Is there anything I should be doing with my poetics while leveling up? Currently capped on them, so not sure if there's something I could be putting them to use on.
Yeah if you ever plan on going back and doing ARR and HW relic weapons you'll need a shit ton of poetics to buy mats. I'm currently working on my Pld one. The final version "Lux" I must have it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I got Alchemist and Goldsmith from 51-52 to 61 yesterday. I still have about 30 or so leves so might try to get Blacksmith from 52 to 60 today. Not sure I want to craft that much though. Only leave Armorer and Learherworker at 51 or so. What I dislike about those 3 is that they have tons or sub crafting stuff to make to get anything done which is very time consuming.

I was surprised at the xp from the 50-60 leves, I think it took like 4-6 if you can get only HQ turn ins. I do turn in regular quality though since some of the stuff is hard to HQ sometimes, especially if you don’t have HQ mats.

I’m still surprised by the quality of the crafting quest, some of them are really interesting. I enjoyed the Goldsmith one from 50-60 with the music box. The Alchemist one from 50-60 was also kinda fun investigating Alchemy related murders.

Well let’s see if I have in me to craft today or not. :)
Alchemy 60-70 is easily one of the best class quest, lore-wise. I'd say it's in the top3 of SB class quests, along with DRK(as usual).

Take it easy though, there's still plenty of time to go even if you don't craft every day or just craft a little bit.

Zhro

Silver Knight of the Realm
This is the only game that I’ve had the music on at all times and I’ve never felt like I had to turn it off as it never gets annoying like the music from fucking Gnomeregan.

I just got caught up with all the class changes and DNC looks fun to play/try out and I love the DRG changes as that’s my main job I like to play. I know DRG it probably by far the most simplistic melee jobs to learn how to play, but it’s very satisfying stringing along your actions to complete combos for the rotation. All they did was add another action/combo (both ST and AoE) to the list and shortened up how fast we get into life of the dragon and tightened up the jump animations.

Also Stardiver looks really badass.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I did some crafting, got the Blacksmith from 52 to 56. I really dislike Blacksmith, Armorer and Leatherworker there are so much sub crafting to make anything it's annoying, still have 30 leves. It's not bad when you're making a specific item you want, but it's annoying when mass producing for leves.

Botanist and Miner retainers are now 70. I need to gear them up though, it's a bit expensive. :)

Paladin went from 62 to 64, so that's nice too.

Nice day all around...fun and productive. :)

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Is there anything I should be doing with my poetics while leveling up? Currently capped on them, so not sure if there's something I could be putting them to use on.

Poetics are for level 50 gear (ilvl 130) and level 60 gear (ilvl 270).

After you have those, you can buy backup gears for your retainers, for future alt jobs, or for glamor.

Alternatively, you can use poetics for relic weapons (these will take in excess of 20,000 poetics each, plus a bunch of other grindy steps), or for making gil (last I played, the seeds from Idyllshire were the best gil-per-poetic).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also Stardiver looks really badass.
I still think it's a missed opportunity for them not to use Dragonspeak for some of the Dragoon abilities. Stardiver should have been named something like "Scorh Ahm" (Song of Punishment, or "Punishing Song", more literally). :(

Malkav

French Madman
Stardiver should have been named Final Chorus, because it is Final Chorus from the Nidhogg fight.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I played quite a bit this weekend (when I wasn't in EQ working on my monk). I got my pugulist to 16, tharmaturgist (spelling?) to 10, and gladiator to 8. Dang fun game honestly.

So, I'm curious about something. Is it intended that you pick a single class and play it up before going back and doing the other classes, or do people do multiple classes at the same time like I am attempting right now?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think people do both. Some people get bored grinding a single class to max level, some people need to be focused on that single class.

I think the beauty of the FFXI/FFXIV job systems is if you ever get bored or tired of your class, switching is extremely simple. I know I've levelled other classes with friends when they come on, even though technically I could play my main with them because of sync.

From what I've heard, once you're current the game kind of slows down.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Just finished building my new computer... is this worth re-checking out? I think I got most of the way through stormblood.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Is the consensus that this is worth playing over WoW atm?
Ever since I started I havent looked back at WoW. This game has kept me so busy and has so much to do. I never have gotten bored with the game so far. Arguably has the best crafting system in any MMO but the PvP is meh. Raids are fun and challenging especially high end raids.

But be warned two things you need to know. Many people are turned off how everything is gated/locked behind the MSQ(main story quest) or blue side quests like dungeons, abilities, raids ect. You can power level to max level but you still need have to do quests to unlock shit. So you have to go through the storyline no matter what in order to progress unless you buy a jump potion with real life currency. Also the combat is slow as fuck in the lower levels due to the long GCD on abilities and lack of of other skills. I think the GCD is 2.5 seconds but once you get higher in levels it feels much better cause you have off CDS to weave in. Best advice is to stick with leveling until max level. It's a huge difference at level 70 than level 50 or 60.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Been grinding Eureka for my epic, Then a friend wants to do her epic so I drove her around in my car for a weekend while we did the NM train lo and behold I have enough light to get another Pagos relic. Almost done Pyros just a couple more levels than Hydratos.

I kinda enjoy it very EQ, very grindy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Been grinding Eureka for my epic, Then a friend wants to do her epic so I drove her around in my car for a weekend while we did the NM train lo and behold I have enough light to get another Pagos relic. Almost done Pyros just a couple more levels than Hydratos.

I kinda enjoy it very EQ, very grindy.

I really hope they expand Eureka's game design to the broader world in the future or make a similar zone available in parallel. The regular overworld and roulette spamming is just discouragingly boring after Eureka/BA.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I really hope they expand Eureka's game design to the broader world in the future or make a similar zone available in parallel. The regular overworld and roulette spamming is just discouragingly boring after Eureka/BA.

didn't they say they are messing with FATES/Zones in the xpac to lvl sync them?

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Honestly, the reason I decided to give FFXIV a second chance (I tried it long, long ago before the remake) is becuase after 20 years, I have given up hope that the industry will ever make a true EverQuest clone with up-to-date graphics and UI.

I had given up on an EverQuest-like MMO ever being made, so I started looking at "multiplayer" console games to see if there was anything EverQuest-like to play with my friends. All I found was sci-fi stuff like Destiny1/2 and Anthem and then the wild wild west style in Red Dead Redemption 2.

I was just about to give up on there being an EverQuest-like game with modern graphics out there when it occurred to me that FFXIV is close to modern graphics, cross platform, and has a heavy fantasy theme. I watched some videos and twitch streams, and was like, "this can work. It's not western fantasy like EverQuest, but it's damn close to being a modern EverQuest with an Asian theme." So, I bought the $19.99 starter pack on Playstation 4, and here I am.

I'd give anything for it to be western-fantasy themed like EverQuest, but asside from that, I really love the game so far. Now that being said, my highest level class so far is level 16, and I just finished the main story quest where I can travel between the three cities. There's a ton I have not seen of this game, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I'm in no real hurry to rush through the content because I look at where I am right now as if I had started EverQuest today, and was just now looking at level 15 in the Unrest zone. If I rushed to level 110, I would miss so much great content in that game, and I assume the same can be said for FFXIV.

So, to the person asking if it's worth it to play FFXIV today, my personal opinion is yes... if you are looking for a story driven MMORPG with a deep class system and a more slow strategical combat system. From my experiencer, this is not a button mashing twitch game. I could be wrong because I have just scratched the surface of the game so far, but that's the opinion I get of the game.

I see FFXIV as the perfect game for EverQuest gamers to retire to after they have finally accepted that DBG is never going to revitalize the IP and is just milking it for what they can before selling it off to the next investment company who will do the same.... and so on until there isn't enough people left playing the game to warrant the servers being online.

Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
didn't they say they are messing with FATES/Zones in the xpac to lvl sync them?
They specifically said side quests would sync so that could mean the whole zone or could just mean the experience and anything spawned scales like beast tribe dailies.

Also as far as 2nd and further relics in Eureka the bottlenecks are the 31 pagos light and Hydatos crystals only dropping 5-10 per NM. Most people check the tracker for the rare weather and pop in to see if they can mooch Paz, Penny, Skoll, and King Anthro for the belt chance.