Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
TBN doesn't cost any resources either... there's never a reason to go below 3000 MP on DRK so you always have enough to use TBN.
It costs a lot of potency if it doesn't pop. Granted it pops on any relevant content for the most part, just not on like, dungeon bosses and shit. On dungeon trash I think it's a bit worse than some of the other cooldowns too if you got a large enough pull, because 15-20% of all incoming damage for ~6sec tends to be better than 25% of your health with enough shit hitting you, although TBN does scale much better in combination with another cd(the 25% health becomes extended if you have rampart up more or less, while rampart+heart/intuition stack multiplicatively make them worse). But dungeon trash is just that, trash, so it kinda doesn't matter all that much.

I'd say the biggest concern is how late DRK get TBN compared to other tanks side cooldowns. WAR get Thrill at 30 and Raw Intuition at 56, PLD get Sheltron at 35 now although the trait to make it much better only comes at 74 but they still have passive blocks too at all times and GNB while they get Heart only at 68 so almost the same as TBN, they get Camouflage at low lvl as an additional cooldown which actually works on everything, unlike Dark Mind. It's not a concern for max lvl play, but lvling a DRK you're very lacking in defensive options before 70, since you basically only have Rampart/Shadow Wall until then, and Dark Mind sometimes.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah DRK definitely feels like shit when synced below 70.

TBN getting popped is so damn satisfying. And it's damn hard not to have it pop in relevant content except if you use it at the wrong time.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
TBN doesn't cost any resources either... there's never a reason to go below 3000 MP on DRK so you always have enough to use TBN.

That's kind of my point - do other tanks have to balance a resource for tankbusters? Nope.

I get it - balancing MP on a DRK is their shtick. What i'm saying is that other tanks don't have the same sort of shtick, or any shtick for that matter in order for their defensives to function as they should. PLD may have to watch their Oath Gauge for Shelltron's but it's not like they have anything else they are gonna blow Oath on.

Think about it from outside of a tankbuster perspective too - with a 15 second CD you should use TBN as a gap filler during phases to cover other damage too. But it's a gamble - will you take enough damage to proc that Dark Arts so you can Edge OR does it wear off before the barrier is absorbed, giving no Dark Arts proc, and just like that you've hurt your DPS by absorbing minimal damage when you could have just used Edge from the start. Or a situation where you're trying to maintain that 3k mana you got left, saving it just in case you need that TBN, and fail to realize that you could have Edged and gotten back up to 3k mana for your TBN before the tankbuster came.

Other tanks don't have to deal with that kinda stuff. Sure you can just call DRK the more difficult tank to play, but it just seems like the shtick is harder to play just for the sake of being harder. Couple that with a shit CD like Dark Mind, the worst invuln in the game Living Dead, mediocre mana regen, and you got a job that's ripe for some changes.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Some of the situations you're listing just don't work like that. If you hold 3k mp, you don't have to think about "what if you used it on edge and then got it back in time". Because max mp is 10k, so if that's the case, you'll just hit 6k, and hit Edge, and then still have 3k for TBN. The only time it matters is if there's a break long enough for you to overcap mp(unlikely besides E1N during the 25mins cutscene) and if you hit that last edge at ~1% so you finish the fight with under 3k so it's not wasted. In every other case, you're not wasting any mp holding 3k. It's the same concept with charge stuff, you don't have to use them all, as long as you don't overcap. Now obviously, you do lose a bit of potency if you dump the last edge at 1% out of a buff window versus using it a bit earlier in a buff window, but we're talking ridiculously small loss here, and if the last buff window is close enough to the end, you can dump it there and risk not having TBN.

That said, it is a fairly pointless mechanic, there's no real skill involved in holding 3k mp, and it punishes you heavily if for whatever weird reason, it doesn't pop. I guess if you cooldown too much for the buster or something, although this shouldn't happen realistically.

Malkav

French Madman
Ultimately you'd never want to Edge randomly outside of raids buffs, except when you are going to overcap on mana. So you'd more probably stay around 6k mana more than 3k.

After that, it's all a matter of learning the encounter, when you can use TBN for raid wides, how to time it with autoattacks (I read somewhere that time just right, 3 Titania's auto attack can make TBN pop in 7sec, but you have to activate TBN just before an auto).

Aand Dark Mind? Sure it's shit in most content. But when it's not though? All of Titania busters are magical. Most of Innocence attacks are magical, including the auto-attacks.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
If you remove the MP cost from TBN, you also have to remove the free EoS if it pops, otherwise it just becomes another offensive DPS boost to hit on CD, which would be really cancerous for the spirit of the class.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Watching Xeno's progress stream and keep hearing Arthars's annoying loud obnoxious voice. Wish he would just shut the fuck up.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Literally the day of savage patch drop and you already got the "well when will the content that I like get expanded on? I don't do Savage, EX, crafting, or maps"

Exactly which game were they playing before that magically had 4 week AAA turn around on the only activities they enjoy, which is likely only a niche percentage of gamers who share their tastes and why would no one be surprised it's already out of business cause it had no mass appeal and they came here.

Entitled babies these days.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Haven't seen that, I think a lot of casuals are happy with the new map shit, and there wasn't going to be new real content until 5.1 so ppl might have been super clueless I don't know.

Trying to sell one of the new stupid crafted top thing before it drops too far in price but so far besides the undercutting war, haven't gotten anywhere. It's still at ~19m after hours of undercutting though, even though it cost me 6m to make, so for now I'm not too worried and worst case I'll just use it myself it looks nice, I just figure I can wait a couple of weeks and make another for 2-3m instead.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
LOL that leaves what, exactly? PVP?
You forget the best side content, BLU. Although I did see some retard posting on reddit how he'd rather do old relics than savage. And it's like, well, do that then motherfucker, no one's preventing you. I don't do savage anymore cause I can't be bothered with all the wiping and finding a static but I'm not gonna complain when savage or ultimate content drops, it's great for a large majority of players, and I enjoy seeing the clears actually.

Also MNK is godlike to play in dungeons now, finally doesn't feel like total garbage. Well, at 52+ I guess, before that it's still shit. Hopefully in 6.0 they move Form Shift to a low lvl quest like lvl 15 or some shit, the skill just feels too core to try and do synced monk content.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
so how can i get better weapons when leveling other classes? Just took me 15 mintues to kill level 52 scholar quest mob becuase I am still using a level 30 weapon. I found some npcs who would take my poteiec token things but they would only sell me armor weapons where all greyed out on the npc next to the one selling the armor

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
You use the poetics to buy currency that is turned in to the person with the weapons. For your weapon it would be ten of rowena's scriptures and one tomestone or something like that. Just double check with the weapon vendor on the exact items. Go to Rowena and select The "Other" catagory. There will be the items you need to buy. Grab those and go back to the weapon vender and trade them for the weapon. You do the same thing at 60 and 70. Just different locations. You can also buy the items from Rowena that augment the weapons/armor you buy there ten ilevels.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You use the poetics to buy currency that is turned in to the person with the weapons. For your weapon it would be ten of rowena's scriptures and one tomestone or something like that. Just double check with the weapon vendor on the exact items. Go to Rowena and select The "Other" catagory. There will be the items you need to buy. Grab those and go back to the weapon vender and trade them for the weapon. You do the same thing at 60 and 70. Just different locations. You can also buy the items from Rowena that augment the weapons/armor you buy there ten ilevels.
Not Rowena herself, she just organizes this racket, vendors are like Auriana and I forgot the other girl next to her.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Not Rowena herself, she just organizes this racket, vendors are like Auriana and I forgot the other girl next to her.
Sorry, I always just called her Rowena haha. But yah you'll find the paired vendors in Don Megh for lvl 50 stuff. Idyllshire for 60 and Rhalgar's reach for 70.

edit: Just getting in to crafting for the first time. Its kind of neat but kind of overwhelming since I'm omnicrafting them all up at once. I've seen various ways of going about it. Seems people think its best to do all to 15 but then it differs with one group saying get WVR to fifty next for Careful Synthesis 2 and the other group saying just level them all in blocks together so 15-30 all then 30-50 all etc. Anybody know which one is better or rather faster? I'll be gathering mats myself so its more a cross time investment then a gil investment.

khorum

Murder Apologist
so how can i get better weapons when leveling other classes? Just took me 15 mintues to kill level 52 scholar quest mob becuase I am still using a level 30 weapon. I found some npcs who would take my poteiec token things but they would only sell me armor weapons where all greyed out on the npc next to the one selling the armor

You can get a current weapon off the market board for fairly cheap.