Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Seems a bit weird since there wasn't really any actual buff to damage though. RoF iirc was pretty much even as a change(some people on balance were even saying it might be a slight loss due to double weaving issues) and everything else's just the same.

It's quite possible BLMs are parsing lower than expected cause it's only the first few days, and they need to optimize movement with the mechanics, while MNK is just, punch the things, same old same old. I could see BLMs parsing a bit higher next week for example.

The Riddle of Earth buff is pretty big though, you can basically ignore positionals for over a minute if you do True North > Riddle of Earth proc > True North > True North. Which means you can never get fucked by stacking mechanics and what not, as long as you can proc riddle at some point before it off raid wide aoes(which honestly isn't super hard). Granted they also reduced the impact of missed positionals in 4.5 or whatever, but it's mostly a big deal for Bootshine, which is super bad if you miss the positional for due to being an auto crit with like the highest non cooldown potency by a large margin.

I played mine in an expert run to check the changes and honestly it's night and day how much smoother the experience in dungeons is. The tank was a retard doing single pulls and going for chests and not sprinting, and yet I never dropped GL4 the entire run with form shift change, and not having to spam meditation constantly between pulls is pretty nice too.

If they could find a niche for Tornado Kick that's better than the current one(only use if you can anatman for 9+ seconds after) I think it'd be perfect.

Poor SAMs are in the shitter though, even with the buffs. Even going by personnal DPS they're not doing well, possibly because a lot of the better players are playing something else but still.
Maybe cause it's damn near impossible to lose greased lightning buff? That's a dps buff with a 100% uptime. You may have mechanics that can cause you to lose the buff but you can keep it up with form switching. Like a boss transition phase or some form animation which you're not attacking. I dunno I'm just guessing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Maybe cause it's damn near impossible to lose greased lightning buff? That's a dps buff with a 100% uptime. You may have mechanics that can cause you to lose the buff but you can keep it up with form switching. Like a boss transition phase or some form animation which you're not attacking. I dunno I'm just guessing.
It was impossible to drop it before in combat too, because the 78 skill made it impossible already. The form switch is for when you're out of combat, or if you used anatman already somehow, and you still had riddle of earth too. Like the only fight you can drop it on is Eden, and the buff didn't change that, you drop it cause the cutscene is 20years long and you can't do shit during it anyway.

The change is really nice QoL, and there might be some fringe cases where it's useful in combat, but you need to have forced movement for a LONG time for it to be useful, and if you're running around that much, your DPS would dip stupidly low cause uptime is still the main thing you want. I don't think any of the fights currently involve breaking from the boss for more than a couple GCDs if that, which was never an issue for MNK.

Looking at logs though BLMs have lower amounts of parses, and I think it's likely a bunch of the BLMs who parsed did so in pubs and shit versus MNKs in statics. As I said, week 2 or 3 we should see kinda different numbers already. A lot of the "good" BLMs probably used SMN to clear the first week.

Might also be why PLD is like 600DPS higher than GNB somehow. Basically, not enough parses just yet for the real figures to come out.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
It was impossible to drop it before in combat too, because the 78 skill made it impossible already. The form switch is for when you're out of combat, or if you used anatman already somehow, and you still had riddle of earth too. Like the only fight you can drop it on is Eden, and the buff didn't change that, you drop it cause the cutscene is 20years long and you can't do shit during it anyway.

The change is really nice QoL, and there might be some fringe cases where it's useful in combat, but you need to have forced movement for a LONG time for it to be useful, and if you're running around that much, your DPS would dip stupidly low cause uptime is still the main thing you want. I don't think any of the fights currently involve breaking from the boss for more than a couple GCDs if that, which was never an issue for MNK.

Looking at logs though BLMs have lower amounts of parses, and I think it's likely a bunch of the BLMs who parsed did so in pubs and shit versus MNKs in statics. As I said, week 2 or 3 we should see kinda different numbers already. A lot of the "good" BLMs probably used SMN to clear the first week.

Might also be why PLD is like 600DPS higher than GNB somehow. Basically, not enough parses just yet for the real figures to come out.
Gotcha. I do agree it's really a nice QoL change cause I see monks now stance dancing between trash packs to keep their buff up. I'm currently leveling a drg and I cant wait until I get the talent that ups the timer to 30 secs for Blood/Life of the Dragon. Nothing worst losing your dps buff and having to wait until for it to refresh while your dps is sinking tremendously.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Blood of the Dragon is way easier to maintain, but yeah when the tank is really slow, oops buff dropped. That's why I often activated Life for 1-2 nastrond at the end of a pack, just because I didn't know if I'd be able to keep it until next pack anyway. The 30secs buff does make it a lot easier, and it's great to get life out right away on a boss without having to make sure you hit the 4th and 5th combo moves to get high enough duration to fit the 3 nastronds.

MNK buff was 16secs at best though, so it basically dropped every pack and it sucked ass, especially since they nerfed perfect balance in ShB to have a really shitty cooldown again so you couldn't just get back to GL3/4 quickly, had to go through all the rotation slowly, terrible ramp up time.

Granted, I still do expert on BLM, just took the monk out for a test but nothing beats BLM for carrying shitty healers/tanks/DPS and get a decent clear time. Spiking 30k aoe DPS on trash is pretty cool, and there's definitely something pleasing about triple casting flares then getting a bunch of thunder procs off each other and dumping 2 Fouls on top of that.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Blood of the Dragon is way easier to maintain, but yeah when the tank is really slow, oops buff dropped. That's why I often activated Life for 1-2 nastrond at the end of a pack, just because I didn't know if I'd be able to keep it until next pack anyway. The 30secs buff does make it a lot easier, and it's great to get life out right away on a boss without having to make sure you hit the 4th and 5th combo moves to get high enough duration to fit the 3 nastronds.

MNK buff was 16secs at best though, so it basically dropped every pack and it sucked ass, especially since they nerfed perfect balance in ShB to have a really shitty cooldown again so you couldn't just get back to GL3/4 quickly, had to go through all the rotation slowly, terrible ramp up time.

Granted, I still do expert on BLM, just took the monk out for a test but nothing beats BLM for carrying shitty healers/tanks/DPS and get a decent clear time. Spiking 30k aoe DPS on trash is pretty cool, and there's definitely something pleasing about triple casting flares then getting a bunch of thunder procs off each other and dumping 2 Fouls on top of that.
BLM is probably going to be my next dps class I'll level after DRG. What's a good guide or video to learn the job? Cause I saw a guide with openers and rotation. I'm guessing you do the opener first then when finishing it do the rotation over and over again till boss is dead?

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
BLM is probably going to be my next dps class I'll level after DRG. What's a good guide or video to learn the job? Cause I saw a guide with openers and rotation. I'm guessing you do the opener first then when finishing it do the rotation over and over again till boss is dead?
That's how every class works yeah. BLM can kinda work just starting the rotation right away, the opener is good for squeezing more dmg out but the current opener only works at higher levels anyway.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Each piece of gear has stats on it, as shown at the bottom of the melding screen. Something like Critical 30/160. If the materia will give more stat bonus than the gear has left, you will get only that amount, or none if the gear is already at capacity for the stat. Had trouble with that myself for a bit...years.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah you can see the stats caps. Also old main stat materias don't do anything anymore. Basically every item has a stat cap based on the ilvl. Say the stat cap is 100, the main stat on the item which is crit will be 100, and the offstat which is direct hit will be 60. You can meld 40 direct hit, 0 crit and 100 of the other stats(det and skill/spellspeed, or piety/tenacity if healer/tank).

That means for any item that has the stat you want as a main stat, you can never meld more, it's already capped. That's why every guide recommend 2 stats, because you often just have to meld the 2nd. And sometimes depending on the materia and the tier of the item(like currently), you'd have to meld a 3rd stat on some items. Like say you want crit/dhit, the Dhit might be close enough to current cap that VIII materias will be too much, so you'd be better off getting Det on that 2nd meld. Depends on the slot though.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well took me about 2 hours but I managed to buy all the Master 7 books.

Crafting just got hard after having it easy so far, expensive too. Mats aren't cheap. Going to wait tomorrow to see what I'm going to do. :)
After burning myself out hardcore doing crafting just before HW hit (got all to 50, yadda yadda yadda) I was reticent to start in again. After I got my RDM to 80 and gathering to 80 I decided to just say fuck it, and got them all to 15, and now my WVR is 53. Now that I have Ixal and Moogle quests on farm I am just going to keep it casual. These dailies are just awesome and easy. Like daily roulettes for the other classes. Looks like it will take a couple weeks each to get them to 50, but my WVR should be 80 after the first few have gotten done. Assuming the namazu quests cap at 3 a day like moogles, anyways. My gatherers should be done with weekly deliveries in another month, so that will open up another big xp path.

My original goal for all this was to be able to make HQ gear and overmeld. Turns out I still have OCD and will let this devour my life again most likely.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
After burning myself out hardcore doing crafting just before HW hit (got all to 50, yadda yadda yadda) I was reticent to start in again. After I got my RDM to 80 and gathering to 80 I decided to just say fuck it, and got them all to 15, and now my WVR is 53. Now that I have Ixal and Moogle quests on farm I am just going to keep it casual. These dailies are just awesome and easy. Like daily roulettes for the other classes. Looks like it will take a couple weeks each to get them to 50, but my WVR should be 80 after the first few have gotten done. Assuming the namazu quests cap at 3 a day like moogles, anyways. My gatherers should be done with weekly deliveries in another month, so that will open up another big xp path.

My original goal for all this was to be able to make HQ gear and overmeld. Turns out I still have OCD and will let this devour my life again most likely.

the Namazu are also 3 a day and are just as easy if not easier than moogle quests. Crafting at the top end has gotten easier since HW, too. A big thing that can help is to make a retainer or two (or more, if you do that) into gathering classes than can get you materials once you've leveled them using ventures.

I still find it odd they made such a big deal about HQ mats allowing you to start a craft with 75% quality this expansion when the previous cap was 50%...but even the 2 star stuff that just came out as long as you're melded (and not even max melded) decently you can HQ the crafts with all NQ mats with NQ crafting food. Getting the high end materia is even easier now than last expansion, too.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man so many full clears already
Not sure if this means the titan savage is too easy or people are just gettin too good. I’m still struggling thru e2s in pf

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I ran in to my first asshole in FFXIV yesterday while tanking a dungeon on my 31 Paladin.

First and foremost, I would like to point out that the community in FFXIV has been insanely better then all other MMORPGs I have ever played. The vast majority of people I run in to are not assholes. I knew I would run in to one eventually.

So, here I was tanking low level dungeons trying my best to not be a noob tank. I certainly wasn't the best tank ever, but I was far from sucking. I managed to keep the mobs on me 99% of the time which I feel like was my job.

Then I get in to a dungeon with a little prick named Mc Cane. He was a healer of course because you know 90% of assholes in MMORPGs play healers, so they can wave their dicks around daring people to say anything to them since they are needed for anything.

I'm pulling everything like a champ, clearing every room, and keeping everything on me. We get to the last area right before the boss mob, and Mc Cane decides I am not going fast enough for him, so he races over to the barrier to the next fight, opens it, and races in. At this point, he has six or more mobs on him beating the shit out of him. He runs back to me as I am frantically trying to pull agro off of him. I manage to pull everything on to me with him at just a sliver of life left. We burn them all down, kill the last mini-boss, and prepare to go fight the main dungeon boss.

And, then Mc Cane says to the party, "Our tank sucks".

I was thinking "fuck you", but I didn't say anything at all. I just acted like I didn't see it. I go in, tank the boss, and finish the dungeon run. I told him that next time he is rude, try to remember to put /fc before it instead of saying it in party. I put him on my blacklist (hopefully to not get paired with him ever again in a dungeon), and left the dungeon.

Now here's the thing. Like I said before, 99.9999% of everybody I have ran in to in FFXIV has been nice. So, the first thought that came to me is, "I wonder if this is a new person from some other MMORPG". I went out and checked on lodestone for his character, and low and behold I was right. He is a level 27 Conjurer and that's it. Nothing else. No harvesting, crafting, or other classes at all. He's some fucktard from another game like WoW that has obviously jumped on the FFXIV bandwagon because it's the new hot thing right now, and he has brought his toxic nature with him.

I hope that FFXIV's popularity as of late don't pull a shit ton of these toxic players to the game.

As a healer ( i am not max level or anything but leveling all the healing classes at the same time as I get bored of the MSQ) If it is a dungeon I know every well like the low levels ones I get a feel of the tank and if I think they can handle it I will chuck a bio on the pack ahead if I know we can handle it just to pull ahead. For me that is part of the job of a healer help clear the dungeon faster, if I can pull mobs to the group easy enough why not? If it goes wrong though then it on me.

Honestly cannot say I come across any toxic players yet, even when i was sucking hard on a dungeon i never done before (one with lots of big green plant things as bosses) I was failing so hard on the first boss as a scholar, kinda my fault I had not done my class quest so missing a few key skills that i think would have helped, tank was very low hp as well only a few hundred above me, but there was just so much damage going out to the whole group that I could not keep the tank and them alive we wiped about 4 times but group just kept cool and gave me some ideas. If that was WoW I would have been gone by the 2nd wipe

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
the Namazu are also 3 a day and are just as easy if not easier than moogle quests. Crafting at the top end has gotten easier since HW, too. A big thing that can help is to make a retainer or two (or more, if you do that) into gathering classes than can get you materials once you've leveled them using ventures.

I still find it odd they made such a big deal about HQ mats allowing you to start a craft with 75% quality this expansion when the previous cap was 50%...but even the 2 star stuff that just came out as long as you're melded (and not even max melded) decently you can HQ the crafts with all NQ mats with NQ crafting food. Getting the high end materia is even easier now than last expansion, too.
What do I need to turn them into gathering classes? I was able to turn one into a SMN, and has been doing exploration for a while, but is only 40 currently. Other I never bothered with. I am getting a shit ton of ventures now, though, so no point in waiting anymore.

Cybsled

You need a gathering class of your own. You should get an option to make them a botanist/miner as a job.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
As a healer ( i am not max level or anything but leveling all the healing classes at the same time as I get bored of the MSQ) If it is a dungeon I know every well like the low levels ones I get a feel of the tank and if I think they can handle it I will chuck a bio on the pack ahead if I know we can handle it just to pull ahead. For me that is part of the job of a healer help clear the dungeon faster, if I can pull mobs to the group easy enough why not? If it goes wrong though then it on me.

Honestly cannot say I come across any toxic players yet, even when i was sucking hard on a dungeon i never done before (one with lots of big green plant things as bosses) I was failing so hard on the first boss as a scholar, kinda my fault I had not done my class quest so missing a few key skills that i think would have helped, tank was very low hp as well only a few hundred above me, but there was just so much damage going out to the whole group that I could not keep the tank and them alive we wiped about 4 times but group just kept cool and gave me some ideas. If that was WoW I would have been gone by the 2nd wipe
Yeah that's one of the things I really like about FFXIV.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Even at 80 running expert roulette people are nice. I failed to heal a group and we wiped 3 times (wall to wall is a fuckton of dmg and cant missclick once). Everyone was chill and I even got some commendations in the end. I have encountered one toxic player and I have 3 jobs at 80 and 3 at 70.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hit Titan at level 34 last night. Entered the instance, held my own, got punted off a ledge, died.

Now, in WoW, my mom would have been insulted 56 different ways and I would have found out my dad was gay. But here, they laughed, explained what I did wrong and said we commend you for not googling it. Complete random people. The community here in this game so far is absolutely 100000% better than other games. Now, I am sure it has it's fair share of idiots but I am sure my old formula of idiots to good people ratio is 305 of total gaming population and because WoW has higher numbers you see them more in that game.

I also joined an FC, and the people there are just pure awesome. So helpful - and all I did was get an invite in a tell, joined up - some guy even showed up to give me 300kgil to purchase my own apartment in the FC house. Albeit, when I tried, I can't until I am level 50 and a few other restrictions I am assuming is tied to FC rank - so I gave the money back. But still, awesome guy.

Really impressed. Only draw back now is that I know I will be purchasing the expansions - however I will be plunking down $39.99 x 2 so I can tie them to both my PC and PS4.

I am getting used to the keyboard on the couch. I bought a K400 Logitech and it has it's own touch pad - works fantastic in the game. Makes a huge difference when being able to navigate changing the UI.

I was told to level my THM to 80 before starting on my BLM. Is that good advice?

I also need to start getting into the systems more now that I know I will be playing a lot. There is SO much to learn. I finally melded a +4 crit hit on my staff and started playing around with dyes. I need to start some crafting at some point - possibly gold smith. That's an entire game by itself the crafting is deep and awesome it seems.

Absolutely impressed by the sheer amount of things to do in this game but for now, I am strictly adhereing to the MSQ's.