Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Noahx

N00b
So what is the verdict so far?
My better half and I will be playing. Probably going to ignore a lot of the non-storyline quests since I don't really enjoy fedexing or gather/kill X. Doing Hunt Logs was a little more interesting since you had to find the mobs without much guidance sometimes. Mixing leveling with crafting/gathering and going at a slower pace has been fun. FATEs and Dungeons seem decent enough.

Few side questions for those with more experience.
a. How / When can I start using a retainer/broker?
b. Does the world open much past what we are seeing in the 30s areas?
c. I found gil hard to come by unless I was doing quests... FATEs give very little and shop selling items is pitiful... is there a better way?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You get a retainer I think it was around lvl 20, from the main storyquest. Pretty much every feature in the game is unlocked this way so just going through the story quests will get you all the things and kinda explain them. Like you get inn/leves at 12, airpass at 15, materias at 17-18, retainer right after that, grand companies at the end of the current chain(and grand companies get you the chocobo mount).

I don't think the world is going to open that much, there's already a bunch of higher level areas in the already available zones, but not sure about the content from 1.0. World is fairly big already if you explore the zones, but you can easily cross the entirety in minutes if you just follow the roads across.

Gil I don't know I did quests so didn't have an issue, leves seem good though. That and crafting would probably be your repeatable sources of income, as quests only work once anyway.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
c. I found gil hard to come by unless I was doing quests... FATEs give very little and shop selling items is pitiful... is there a better way?
I've been confused about this the entire Beta process. Keep in mind that I do not tradeskill and obviously the AH / server market doesn't exist yet, but I didn't spend a single gil outside of a teleport and occasion repair (approx 900 gil at 34). Never sold a single tin, bronze, whatever loot piece I found in a dungeon, didn't vendor a single equipment drop (because the armory inventory system really pisses me off honestly), and didn't buy any potions because quests gave me like 50 mana, 50 hp, and various orange juices, pumpkin pies, etc...

But as you point out, maybe it was because I was primarily questing. At the end of last round I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 60k gil, no clue if that is a lot or not because there was never any reason to spend it.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Any idea if this is going to be released on steam? I'm thinking of just snagging it on amazon for $26, but I really like having all my downloads in one place because I'm OCD like that.
I'd be shocked if they didn't. They have FF XI on Steam. I would say be patient atm.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was the same. Outside repairs and teleport, nothing to spend money on. I did carpenter to like level 6, but buying vendor crap was cheap as hell. I finally ended up selling all those tin peices from loot and got about a extra 9kish from them. I think I finished with like 45k or something.

I've heard a few complaints while in game about money and it seemed a lot of people were buying full sets of gear from vendor when ever they could. THough it could also be if people were tradeskilling like mad and vendor cost when up, I dunno. I thought money issues were not existent until I saw multiple people asking how to make money cause they were broke.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you die a lot I guess repairs pile up. Or if you repair even though you're gonna replace the gear 20mins later from a new quest reward. And yeah if you update your gear everytime you can from vendors, instead of just doing the quests that reward the same gear for free anyway. I can see these few ways to run out of money but other than that costs are pretty low currently, and I was spamming teleports everytime I wanted to move anywhere.

Fine with me, I don't like moneysinks during lvling. I understand the point at max level, from repairs and consumables and what not, but I never saw a point in having mandatory shit you have to buy while leveling like mounts and spell upgrades, it just creates situations where some people who decided to spend all their money on secondary stuff like crafting get fucked out of features the game is balanced around for virtually no reason. Reduce your gold drops and remove the costs on this shit, same result but less frustration.

Oh also they do have gold sinks already, kinda, you can buy pets for I think it was 5k? Mini bomb, mini robot and mini knight or something like that, you need to find the right vendor in town, it's the same vendor that sells gysahl greens to summon your combat chocobo. That and dyes, plus repairs/teleports should be decent enough as money sinks.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The one person I did run in to that complained about gil said they spent it all on teleports (spell check, really?). Which starts to make sense as they can cost anywhere from 100 gil - 500 gil, and if you're stupid and use that as your only means of travel every 15 minutes, then yeah you'll be broke.

Slacker242

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure what it is about the game. Maybe it's just nice to see people out killing stuff. I forgot how much I missed that. I guess I am kinda sad at the same time. Who would have thought that after all these years that an mmo is not synonymous with being around other people in the open world.

I don't play enough to stay ahead of the curve but just enough to stay with people around. 3-6 months is all I ask. It's a fair price and the game is enjoyable.

I am with a lot of others here. Hoping this works out until EQN. I would love a giant clusterfuck of mmo social interaction in a packed area of newbs chain pulling their hearts out.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Thanks, I'm guessing I can't register until the open up the weekend test? Code registration for FF14 is closed on the SE account page. Unless there is a beta link somewhere?

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got an acceptance email way back in April, but whenever I tried to use the link they provided to register the key, it said the site was down for maintenance. I was checking it everyday for like 2 weeks before I forgot about it. I just checked back in and it works now, and I registered the key....but I can't seem to find the download link for the game. FFXIV is listed in my Active Service Accounts, and there's an Options button, but that leads to a page saying all option services are currently unavailable. I guess I'm missing something super obvious?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I got an acceptance email way back in April, but whenever I tried to use the link they provided to register the key, it said the site was down for maintenance. I was checking it everyday for like 2 weeks before I forgot about it. I just checked back in and it works now, and I registered the key....but I can't seem to find the download link for the game. FFXIV is listed in my Active Service Accounts, and there's an Options button, but that leads to a page saying all option services are currently unavailable. I guess I'm missing something super obvious?
http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Tes...-%28Windows%29
Direct linkhttp://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/dow...ffxivsetup.exe

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Tes...-%28Windows%29

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure what it is about the game. Maybe it's just nice to see people out killing stuff. I forgot how much I missed that. I guess I am kinda sad at the same time. Who would have thought that after all these years that an mmo is not synonymous with being around other people in the open world.

I don't play enough to stay ahead of the curve but just enough to stay with people around. 3-6 months is all I ask. It's a fair price and the game is enjoyable.

I am with a lot of others here. Hoping this works out until EQN. I would love a giant clusterfuck of mmo social interaction in a packed area of newbs chain pulling their hearts out.
Shit seems legit. Going to definitely give it the go in august, for realz. I'm personally hoping it works out in spite of EQ:N.