Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
And just one more quote fromhttp://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Tes...playing-badly:

did you buy my game? do you pay for my subscription?

Unless you have, shut the hell up, you have no right whatsoever to tell me how to play my game. If you don't like my playstyle, to bad for you.
I think this game might have more terrible (and proud of it) players than even WoW did. Holy shit.

edit: Two more:

@ OP- How dare you attempt to force your method of playing onto someone else?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Typical FFXI mindset from those guys. I played a CNJ in phase 2 and with the exception of some bad pulls I was able to heal our group and dps.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
You would think given that they have a large population of people with multiple level 50s that they won't go to release with no end game content but I've seen very little to lead me to believe that isn't exactly what will happen.
Pretty sure they will just re-purpose the endgame content they already had in 1.0 for launch.

Sidhe

<Banned>
I think some CNJs in your thread need to go back and re-do their class quests. Specifically the one with the two NPC tanks who will take more damage than you can cure forever, unless you help DPS down some of the adds.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it got pretty ridiculous last night. Had three different tanks (all legacy players with level 50 scaled gear / jobs) tell me, "WHM plz don't dps we are okay just cure." There are just some hilariously bad players. Hey, maybe it isn't their fault. Maybe the WHM/CNJ in Legacy really were that bad and they have no clue what can actually be done to run a dungeon. At least one of them was a completely competent tank. The Duty Finder really opened my eyes though.

*edit: lol your post got deleted? Maybe I'll make another

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Fuck legacy players. Hope they keep them off the server permanently. They're all terrible, entitled assholes. Everytime they are mentioned on the forum there's a huge backlash and the thread is deleted. Square Enix is listening and they aren't wanted on new servers.

Edit: Except Xianthe, that dude is chill

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
There are probably a decent amount of people who are into FF rather than being standard MMO players who are worried about efficiency. Or something, I dunno.

As for the game, I spent more time playing this beta (probably 10 hours) knowing my character will be erased than almost any MMO since I pissed away a bunch of hours w/ Rift's release. More hours than any game this year except Path of Exile.

No clue how long I'll stick with it, but I'm genuinely having fun. The world and story are great imo, and really emphasize just how poorly GW2 did in these areas. The music is remarkably good, especially in certain areas which I never usually think about. I really like being able to change classes w/o making new characters, I think the crafting system looks interesting. The graphics are fucking fabulous, and probably the best I've seen (I've admittedly skipped out on most of the Asian MMOs). Thus far, I also haven't had to play whack-a-mole with 2934823 different abilities like EQ2 which is nice as well. I like that they totally ripped off Rifts (now called Fates) from Rift. I REALLY FUCKING LIKE that there are no fucking factions.

Right now, combat feels a bit simple but its also very low level. I was playing a CNJ which is also probably contributing.

So yeah, this will probably be the first time I might pay a monthly sub since.... I can't really remember tbh (eve doesn't count since that's essentially free... over 1000 months of game time in isk atm). I guess I had an EQ2 stint back in like 2008 or something. No clue if it will be a long term game for me and there are concerns about end game, but if I even make it to the point where concerns about end game are relevant that will be the first time in a while.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There are probably a decent amount of people who are into FF rather than being standard MMO players who are worried about efficiency. Or something, I dunno.
It makes sense where you're going, but if it were about efficiency it should be glaringly obvious that having any party members stand around with full MP / TP waiting for something to happen is not efficient. It's what I had to explain to one of the tanks in Brayflox (not saying you need it explained, just using the opportunity): I know how many HP you have, know how much burst DPS these mobs can do, and know how much burst healing I can do. Anything in between those limits is me wasting your time and mine by standing around doing nothing. This concept was lost on so many people, we were cracking up in FC. Now there are exceptions to this rule, but it is my job as a good healer to know them: 1) I cannot DPS more MP away that would leave us in bad situation is an emergency happens, and 2) I can't burn all my MP and waste your time sitting around waiting for me to med. This should be an understood agreement between all members in the party going in to any dungeon.

Why didn't this problem exist the past two weekends w/o Duty Finder?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well I had people last week that were awful if that's what you're asking. Legacy players though might be a special kind of awful. There's probably some good guilds in them that were doing all the hard content first and what not but most of them are you average shitty player. In fact considering how shitty the game was, if they played it up to 50 and for an extended period of time after that, it's safe to assume that they had mental health issues. Not surprising they're still dumb as shit now.

I guess it'd be nice if Legacy had to queue with their own servers, or at least we had the choice. There's a few threads about it already, all of which have legacy players crying about segregation, racism and whatever fucking stupid reason for it to be shared. To be honest I'm even surprised they kept legacy players at all. I would have wiped everything clean. Keep titles, mounts and other random shit like that, but wipe the chars, wipe the economy. Wouldn't be an issue then. It's even worse because at launch they won't really have to do low lvl content right, they'll just start at 50. Only that other than the ones who played the beta extensively, most of them won't have a clue about how their classes work. I'd be interested to see the first raids on legacy servers when the servers go up, should be quite hilarious to watch, maybe I'll catch a stream.

Anyway mostly not an issue really, at launch there will be people to group with, and you can join a guild and group with friends so you don't really have to use the LFG tool. Considering dungeons are pretty much the best xp it seems, I assume every guild will have dungeon groups going non stop and shit.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
What's a bard like in this game? If I end up playing at release, that is something I might shoot for.

edit:
Outside the obvious where it just buffs/debuffs shit with songs.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
What's a bard like in this game? If I end up playing at release, that is something I might shoot for.

edit:
Outside the obvious where it just buffs/debuffs shit with songs.
Last I checked they are basically Archers but with 3 songs. MP regen, TP regen and elemental resist. Songs have a large radius but quickly drain MP and add a -20% dps debuff.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Maybe because I was tanking...but I ran the dungeons about 4x each (up to 20), and never had a single death. Granted they are easy as fuck, and I assume they get harder.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Maybe because I was tanking...but I ran the dungeons about 4x each (up to 20), and never had a single death. Granted they are easy as fuck, and I assume they get harder.
Yeah, people need to remember, this is mostly 30 and below content. Even in Vanilla WoW, up to 30, what did we have? Wailing Caverns, Shadowfang Keep, and 2 wings of Scarlet Monastery? Not like these were ever the epitome of hard either. And combat wasn't extremely engaging below 30 in WoW either. Most classes didn't even have half their defining abilities at 30. We are dealing with low level content here. I'd really be surprised if difficulty wasn't noticeably more difficult at max level in FFXIV, and combat wasn't more engaging at higher levels too. I'm also pretty sure Yoshi said they are going to add heroic difficulty dungeons and whatnot too.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Fuck. They deleted my thread. At least I saved some of the good quotes
frown.png

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I feel the same way about Legacy players as the Japanese felt about NA players in FFXI.

In fact considering how shitty the game was, if they played it up to 50 and for an extended period of time after that, it's safe to assume that they had mental health issues. Not surprising they're still dumb as shit now.
fucking spot on

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
I feel the same way about Legacy players as the Japanese felt about NA players in FFXI.

fucking spot on
In retrospect, letting Legacy players keep their characters on Legacy-only servers was a huge favor to the rest of the player base. It's win-win. They get to keep their character, and new players don't have to deal with people brain damaged enough to have played the original FFXIV.

Erie_sl

shitlord
Been thinking for about a month now, get ps3 version since it's on the same floor as my captain/coke or just play the pc version. /sigh, tough decision

edit: is there at least voice chat?