Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did they relax the transfer restrictions on Legacy servers? I've been on Excalibur for years since transferring there with old FFXI friends but they've long since quit and the FC went the way of the dodo. Could do with being able to transfer to an EU server now but don't want to start the whole grind again.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Did they relax the transfer restrictions on Legacy servers? I've been on Excalibur for years since transferring there with old FFXI friends but they've long since quit and the FC went the way of the dodo. Could do with being able to transfer to an EU server now but don't want to start the whole grind again.
They removed legacy transfer restrictions during vanilla, so like 5-6years ago. Other than that, all normal restrictions apply, you cannot transfer to a congested server, you're limited in how much gold you can bring(but if you haven't played since launch I doubt you'll hit the restrictions there, iirc they were increased to 10m and 1m per retainer) and a bunch of other stuff like making sure you leave your FC, not have items for sale on the market and so on. You can check the transfer website to see the rules.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Just started. Going gladiator to paladin. What do I need to know about this game??
Always do the meteor icon quests and blue quests(although at 50 and every 10levels you'll get a shit ton of blue quests for dungeons that were part of endgame, so these you can ignore).

The meteor are pretty obvious, they're the MSQ, main story quests, and they're 100% required for progress, they'll also provide most of the xp you need.

The blue quest denote quests that unlock "something". In some rare cases they're only pets and crap, but for the most part they unlock important features like banking(retainers in this game), mounts, glamours(transmogs), dyes, combat chocobo, dungeons unlocks and so on. They also include your class quests, which is 100% necessary to progress past a certain point, but also in general since they give you most of your skills past 30, as well as cool gear eventually.

If you don't have a server preference, selecting a preferred world is also good for the initial bonuses it provides, you get 90days of double xp up to the current expansion(that works on every classes you play, including crafting/gathering), as well as 15 days of free sub at lvl 30(can get it later if you play another server, it's a one time per account kind of thing but can be done on any char).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
The combat is very slow to start with, and the global cooldown is going to seem quite long compared to other games. As you level up you’ll get off global abilities that you can weave between GCD abilities that’ll make combat flow better.

Virtually everything in the game is locked behind the main scenario quests, so you’ll want to stay focused on that and your job quests every five levels.

You can do any job with your one character, just have to unlock jobs through quests and then switch your weapon to switch your job.

I’m sure pyros will be along sometime today to give you a much more in depth answer, but I think that’s the basics.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
ShB spoilers
I think the concept works fine, it's a theme that's been done before especially in anime. Yeah Solus/Emet-Selch did some good, but the goal was purely to serve their own ambitions, they don't even consider "humans"(in the world) to be entities worth respecting, he was basically raising cattle or I guess more accurately raising a pack of hunting dogs. The scale seems crazy but not really when you consider the lifespan of Ascians(well the true ones at least). And by raising the Empire he didn't really do just benevolent things, he raised in with the entire purpose of waging war, so even from that angle it's not really like he did just great things.

I think it's great they revealed a lot more about them because it explains why they act the way they act and why they've been behind every calamity and so on. It also makes them relatable to an extent. Villains are better imo when you can understand what drives them to be evil.

Zenos on the other hand... pretty trash and wish they didn't keep resurecting him.

Although you have the crazy minority fringe who say Hades Did Nothing Wrong, I think most people appreciate him as a villain an antagonist because they can relate with him, not necessarily because they felt he was justified in everything he did.

You do feel bad for the guy, because at the end of the day, he legitimately does just want Amaurot back without any ulterior motives other than missing his friends (unlike Hahabread and Elidibus). And he is more morally conflicted than he lets on; if you read Tales from the Shadows, as Solus, he was basically ready to say "fuck it" and desert the Ascians before his son/Varis's father died.

Simultaneously, the game demonstrates that he does need to be put down, as he's given several opportunities at redemption and passes on all of them:

• After his son died, he could have put his hope in Varis, who very obviously craved his approval and love, but instead he turned cold and abusive
  • He could have let G'raha sacrifice himself to save the WoL, but the only way the WoL is worth anything in his eyes is if they can shoulder an entire continent's umbral aether by themselves.
  • When Ardbert merges with the WoL, and Hades briefly sees the WoL as the Amaurotine that they were before the Sundering, he chooses to ignore it and pass it off as an illusion, despite the fact that he was probably the second-most talented Amaurotine that ever lived (behind Hythlodaeus) at being able to see souls and aether.

He's a good character in that he is probably the most relatable, human Final Fantasy antagonist that Square has ever put in a mainline FF game. The tension (your feelings for his plight versus the knowledge that you can't let him go on with his plan) was what made him so enjoyable. He's probably not my favorite--that honor probably still goes to Kefka--but he's damn close.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
I haven't had much time to play this year, but I'm now in the middle of taking 3 weeks off re: Coronavirus and I finally got to try some solo deep dungeon stuff:

ffxiv_11052020_005622_925.png

This was really fun and especially with 5.3 being delayed until mid July I'd recommend it to bored vets looking for something to do - was like a 30 hour time investment (E8S was 15-20h comparatively). I wiped 3x at floor 70+ (and disconnected once), and during the clear I finished the 90 boss in superbolide with sub 5 seconds left. Very intense and requires a decent amount of valuation.

In the meantime the game has been pretty slow for me - I missed the first 2 weeks of this patch but pugged some and ended up building a little static, cleared Shiva a while ago, and since then have been keeping up weekly reclears, slowly leveling all my stuff (I do leveling/trials most days), maintaining submarines, but not much else - basically 6-8h a week of play.

Anyone else been up to much in game, and/or have recommendations for content I should look into in the next couple of weeks while I'm off work? The only stuff I have lined up is finishing up a few jobquests I should have prob done a while back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah this is one thing I want to do eventually but never find the time/will to bother, congrats. Especially since potd one means playing rdm, which really sucks, I wish they'd nerf it a bit to allow for more classes to be able to do it(without shenanigans spinning). HoH is a lot easier to solo so I should probably start with that but eh.

Oh and if you want to waste 100+hours for pointless shit, I can recommend getting fishing achievements, especially the big fishes one. For "real" stuff it's a lot harder though, mounts from all EX if you don't have them, BLU achievements, doing Baldesion Arsenal in Eureka(can still find groups but first need to do all the relic questline and armor upgrades).

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
I did BA when current, that was great content. And helped wife get ex mounts, but haven't bothered myself. Big fish seem like they might be fun? Or BLU (haven't touched either).

I have a buddy who's really into the HoH/PotD stuff (he helped me out when I was trying HoH) and he's pretty convinced MCH is better than RDM in PotD if that makes you any more interested. Not sure I can cope with the extra 100 floors though, HoH 1-60 was already pushing it a bit.

Cybsled

BLU can be some interesting side content, but you need help to get lots of the abilities since you can’t use the duty finder.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
We finished our last Verse clear a few week's back and converted to a BLU raid group for the Morbol mount. It has been a blast relearning all these old fights. 100% recommend it. The people in our group who didn't want to touch BLU are having a blast now.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm

You need to do an all BLU raid and clear T5, T9, T13, A4S, A8S, and A12S (All of the ARR and HW final raid bosses for each tier). Have to disable echo and sync.

It is pretty fun though because it has a totally different feel. I am playing healer and the tank dmg intake is pretty insane. You get to skip some of the harder mechanics with diamondback, but on the flip side since everyone is technically a DPS boss there is no way to control who gets what mechanics during fights. For example, A8S gavel is completely random and DPS/Healers can end up with the tank mechanics.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
Haven't been playing much lately, buta few friends from my FC wanted to do something for my birthday. We settled on an all FC alliance raid.

I proceeded to drag them through Weeping City set at minimum ilvl. Was a lot of fun and a few wipes the time to remember the freaking mechanics.

Having 24 people on vocal with quite a few drunks was also something to behold.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The one bad thing about how they implement their free week system is it doesn't even count as a normal subscription with leftover time. So you only have access to your default two retainers, can't even check your listed items/sales/whatever on any others. Their system already prorates so it could easily let us pay a buck for a couple days of access.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Got to 20 this weekend as part of the free week on my first attempt to get into this again since I think a year or so after launch. Got to 35 on a Ranger/bard then. Going Gladiator/Paladin and with a month of leave coming up in June hoping to get a bit further.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I cannot get past First Beast in Amaurot. Tried a few times today on Whm and once the second wave of aerial AoEs start with the ground chaining AoEs it's game over. Making me feel my age.