Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I run Japanese voice and I always get out of cutscenes well earlier than anyone else most of the time. Except the very last fight of Prae, I’m always slow to get out of that one and folks are already fighting.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The US knockoffs were in ARR. HW and onward they use a VA talent agency in England, which let them score a bunch of Game of Thrones actors.
Being in GOT makes someone a better VA? I mean, yeah, the ARR VAs were shit tier, but the current crop are barely shit tier +1.

• 2Like
  • 1Moron
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Cybsled

I mean, you're welcome to your opinion, but I'd rather varied and more regional accents, getting people like the dude who played Roose Bolton vs a dude who voices the Jojo anime. Especially since the English script and the Japanese scripts aren't even the same.

If you're watching it with JP voices but English text, the Japanese VA isn't even saying what is in the text exactly. Ditto for all the other Euro translations - they work off the JP script. English script is written separately.

JP Hauchefant keeps trying to fuck you, for example lol

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I mean, you're welcome to your opinion, but I'd rather varied and more regional accents, getting people like the dude who played Roose Bolton vs a dude who voices the Jojo anime. Especially since the English script and the Japanese scripts aren't even the same.

If you're watching it with JP voices but English text, the Japanese VA isn't even saying what is in the text exactly. Ditto for all the other Euro translations - they work off the JP script. English script is written separately.

JP Hauchefant keeps trying to fuck you, for example lol
I enjoy accents in general, but the acting part of voice acting is still missing for the most part.

Malkav

French Madman
Speaking of VAs, it reminds me the french VA for Nanamo used to frequent the same bar I did (mind you that was 10+ years ago) and people used to tease her about her height (she's in fact quite small).

The day I saw her name in the credits it got a good chuckle out of me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I enjoy accents in general, but the acting part of voice acting is still missing for the most part.

Maybe for some I would agree. A certain ghost in ShB does an awesome job. Alisae’s VA really dials it up in ShB as well for the better in some scenes (the one where she gets upset someone is making a promise to you they can’t keep stands out). I also heard Vaughtry’s VA had never done VA work before and he does an awesome job.

Malkav

French Madman
Maybe for some I would agree. A certain ghost in ShB does an awesome job. Alisae’s VA really dials it up in ShB as well for the better in some scenes (the one where she gets upset someone is making a promise to you they can’t keep stands out). I also heard Vaughtry’s VA had never done VA work before and he does an awesome job.

To me one of the most notable moment of voice acting in ShB is
Lyna's breakdown after the attack on Lakeland.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
The post ARR English VAs are fine. Some of them I actually prefer. I just run the JP VAs to try to absorb some extra vocabulary and I can pick out some differences between the JP VA and the English script while watching, which is a fun exercise for me.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Emet and the Crystal Exarch are both really good in Shadowbringers.

Cid during the fucking Praetorium is shockingly awful.

Cybsled

Joe Dempsie was Gendry Baratheon on GoT. Michael McElhatton was Roose Bolton.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
The only jp voice I can get behind is the deep lalafel in the crystal braves

• 1Like