Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
So my SQL server move/upgrade went way smoother than I expected , actually working with competent software support on the app end is always a nice thing , and I'm done for the day. Wife has the youngest out for the day shopping and so on , other one's in school.

Chances of me going home and just sitting down and logging in to play with no 3102/9000/1017 issues at all after this big "fix" ?
Lots of people playing with no issues. 60 online in FC on Gilgamesh at the moment on a weekday which seems pretty healthy.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Chances of me going home and just sitting down and logging in to play with no 3102/9000/1017 issues at all after this big "fix" ?
Logging in seems pretty simple. If you get DC"d at any point, you're pretty much stuck in 3102 hell though.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
If you get 3102, just walk away for an hour. spamming login trying to get back isn't going to make it fix itself any faster

Mofist

Trakanon Raider
mothershit! First time to get 3102'd after playing for about 30 mins this morning. Guess I'll try back in an hour or 2.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
WTF are you taking about? Only one post on this page and one other bitch post the previous one.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They increased the server caps from 5000 to 7500-7800 and there are still people trying to get in, at noon on a fucking weekday. What happened to school and work?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Who is inviting to the FC? I need an invite. Character name is Vtai Arrowsong.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They can't increase the concurrent player cap much more - they have no open world instancing technology and Coerthas and Mor Dhona are already FATE rape fests of 200 man zergs.

Until it's time to sub
Exactly - every new MMO launch makes the same mistake - Launch a bunch of new servers to meet demand, then they become ghost towns after 30 free days are up and the population dips - then you have to merge servers which is bad press.

Square is trying to avoid it by only opening new servers when they absolutely have to. Also Yoshi-P's bosses probably won't let them have the money to do more.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
We have a subforum with posts for both servers with the names of who invites and such. Anyone posting their name in here might be waiting forever for that invite.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They can't increase the concurrent player cap much more - they have no open world instancing technology and Coerthas and Mor Dhona are already FATE rape fests of 200 man zergs.

Exactly - every new MMO launch makes the same mistake - Launch a bunch of new servers to meet demand, then they become ghost towns after 30 free days are up and the population dips - then you have to merge servers which is bad press.

Square is trying to avoid it by only opening new servers when they absolutely have to. Also Yoshi-P's bosses probably won't let them have the money to do more.
The problem for them is how many potential subscribers will they lose because they didn't resolve the issues, versus how much it costs to fix the issues to retain them. Right now it seems like a lot of people are getting pretty frustrated with it. It's almost 2 weeks since early access started and they haven't really made any progress.

In fact, the only way they actually fixed anything was to limit concurrent connections, and that's not a viable solution. With the old errors popping back up again, it actually seems like they're worse off than when they started.

Reddit has some people talking about concurrent connections and it sounds like WoW capped a server at 6500. FFXIV was at 5000 and just raised it to 7500. So right now I'd say their issue is they don't have even remotely enough servers. If they have a queue at 9am on a Wednesday for their 7500 concurrent connections, they probably need to double the number of servers. You've also got to keep in mind that they've completely stopped selling boxes, so the influx of players is gone. This is all based on pre-orders and like 2 days of box sales.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also, apparently the new servers are already locked to new players. Once again, during working/school hours on a Wednesday. I'm pretty sure they have no fucking clue how many people are trying to access their game.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure they have no fucking clue how many people are trying to access their game.
Which itself is fucked, dont they track the amount of keys the sold? Even if its a rough estimate? I mean WTF? Sad thing is that this is not their first mmo, I could see some growing pains when its your first, but this?

This is definitely not the way to go. I would let the floodgates open and let people play and then deal with merges later, like every other mmo does, its jut the way shit goes in mmos. Mad rush with mad numbers inte he beginning and then a slow dieoff until a equilibrium is reached.

They way they are handling shit just pisses everyone off so they dont have the mad rush.