Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Stave

Potato del Grande
When I did Cutter's Cry as Dragoon, the tank and healer actually died, and the Bard kited him around the room dpsing, while I chased him dpsing, and we duoed him from like 70% to 0%. It was pretty epic.

axeman_sl

shitlord
I really do feel like half the challenge in most mmos is how terrible the playerbase is. I've seen so many awful players in DF that it blows my mind they manage to get past the story dungeons at all.
Other online games are far worse. The only reason it feels bad in MMORPGs is because you have to interact with people in so many ways. If you had to deal with and depend on other players so directly in games such as CoD, it would be unbearable. That's to say nothing of games like LoL where the general playerbase is so inept and impossible to have any form of reasonable interaction with whatsoever that Riot have had to make mature player retention their #1 priority for the last year or more just to staunch an overwhelming exodus of players aged 25+ (i.e. the ones who pay money) because the environment of that game is impossible for mentally balanced adults to endure. You're just not exposed to hundreds of players at any given time like you are in MMOs, which makes it feel worse even though MMO-players are on average probably the most mature, sociable and capable gamers of any demographic.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
But I got to tell you , I don't know If ive been lucky or what, most dungeon runs are pretty good in this game, that was the only bad experience I had so far. But It helps that Im the tank so kind of controlling shit.
Out of the 3 pubs dungeons I did on my MRD, 2 of them had terrible healers but it worked out(as in, I had to fucking sprint away from shit so he'd have time to start fucking healing me), third had some guy, well, I don't know if it was a guy, I'd say some thing, that would only heal once in a while, and then he'd heal me for less than I would probably heal myself with fucking Cure I. Had his lvl 1 weapon still. I assume chinese bot of some sort I don't know. Just left because whatever. It's nice being the tank but only when the healer is like, casting heals on you, otherwise you're as powerless as everyone else.

Mind you it's at every level. Earlier people shouting for a healer for titan, guild group just one spot left etc, I'm on Titan on my WHM because I've literally played the class twice in the past 3 days, once for hydra+ifrit and once to pub garuda(and killed it on first try yay) so I haven't bothered making a guild group or what not, motherfucking crafting yo. Anyway I ask to join the group, then begin the screening process, how is your gear, do you know the fight, have you been past the heart etc. I think oh serious people, nice, so I'm like, yo dawg I got scholar relic, I r gud healz, I avoid hurty stones. Get in the group, instantly "get on TS" etc. Buff everyone, start the fight, at about 2nd jump or something, BLM gets hit by landslide and die in the lava. I'm like eh whatever, happens sometimes maybe he's tired(it was 3am). Keep going, wipe cause not enough DPS on heart. With LB2 still ready. I'm like ok let's use LB next time and no death. Bard dies to bombs. Not last phase bombs, just the normal circle shit bombs that drop the very first time. Ok... 3wipes later I told them it was too late for me and I had to go, then I sat in grid and resumed crafting. It's funny they were so serious about killing it and not recruiting an inexperienced ungeared healer and yet they couldn't do even the most basic parts of the fight.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
so its been about 20 days but the game is saying i need to subscribe now. anyone else get a msg like that? didnt they say they are extending time before subbing?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
so its been about 20 days but the game is saying i need to subscribe now. anyone else get a msg like that? didnt they say they are extending time before subbing?
If you're using a 1.0 account, you had 15 free days, then 1week more for the shenanigans with the server downs, so I believe 1.0 accounts ran out of free time now. I don't remember them saying they extended anything.

Tol_sl

shitlord
but of course you'll notice the bad ones more than you will when playing FIFA or Counter-Strike or some shit.
I don't think I agree with you. I don't think I've ever seen the level of ineptitude in counterstrike or most other games I play online as I've seen in the dungeon finder in this one. It's one thing to be less skilled or learning. But in this game I've literally seen entire groups just sit in the fire constantly without even trying to move, and I feel like that takes some sort of incredible level of not-even-trying. Remember the turtle guildhest? I literally had three groups in a fucking row kill the turtle, while I was frantically typing into the chat box "STOP KILLING THE TURTLE, IT SAYS NOT TO KILL THE TURTLE, THIS IS WHAT WE DO INSTEAD." and trying to do it the right way by myself before they managed to kill it.

MMO gameplay (especially at low levels like I'm describing) is probably the easiest type of gaming I can imagine. It just pretty much shocks me how they manage to screw it up sometimes. At least when you type "Rush B" on counterstrike, the lemmings will follow.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think I agree with you. I don't think I've ever seen the level of ineptitude in counterstrike or most other games I play online as I've seen in the dungeon finder in this one. It's one thing to be less skilled or learning. But in this game I've literally seen entire groups just sit in the fire constantly without even trying to move, and I feel like that takes some sort of incredible level of not-even-trying. Remember the turtle guildhest? I literally had three groups in a fucking row kill the turtle, while I was frantically typing into the chat box "STOP KILLING THE TURTLE, IT SAYS NOT TO KILL THE TURTLE, THIS IS WHAT WE DO INSTEAD." and trying to do it the right way by myself before they managed to kill it.

MMO gameplay (especially at low levels like I'm describing) is probably the easiest type of gaming I can imagine. It just pretty much shocks me how they manage to screw it up sometimes. At least when you type "Rush B" on counterstrike, the lemmings will follow.
Really? you're comparing the only and first real "casual friendly" console MMO, in it's first month of release, to the type of gamer that would play a 13 year old PC title?

And then complaining when people don't follow strategy for their first time doing that guildhest, versus likely their 500th run of dust?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you're using a 1.0 account, you had 15 free days, then 1week more for the shenanigans with the server downs, so I believe 1.0 accounts ran out of free time now. I don't remember them saying they extended anything.
Ah 1 week, thought itwas 1 month, ok

Tol_sl

shitlord
Really? you're comparing the only and first real "casual friendly" console MMO, in it's first month of release, to the type of gamer that would play a 13 year old PC title?

And then complaining when people don't follow strategy for their first time doing that guildhest, versus likely their 500th run of dust?
No? All I really had to say that a huge component of the challenge in MMOs to me feels like how a lot of other players tend to be pretty bad, as per Kreugans screenshot, and that you have to rely on them to progress. In FFXIV, I would bet that a lot of these people are either first time MMO players, or even more terrifying, first time MMO players learning on a console. Someone else brought up other genres and counterstrike -specifically and by name- I was just saying I disagreed with him. My original post had nothing to do with that whatsoever.

Calroon_sl

shitlord
I really do feel like half the challenge in most mmos is how terrible the playerbase is. I've seen so many awful players in DF that it blows my mind they manage to get past the story dungeons at all.
... and on top of that you get all the console people.
It's like aids spreading into MMOs.
Needs seperate servers.

ps. If you are a vet on this board (or FoH while we're at it), playing this on a console, go fuck yourself and feel bad about it.

axeman_sl

shitlord
You can play most other games without even trying to stay with your team. Like you can literally ignore them and go solo. It takes nothing to play an fps or moba game. How far are you going to get in an mmo if you completely ignore the existence of your party?

Playing an mmorpg with any kind of seriousness REQUIRES that you work with others, know vaguely what you're doing, and don't just dick around for lulz. Most other genres don't demand that until the higher levels of play. Plenty of people play stuff like CoD for a long time without ever even trying to be part of any kind of cooperative effort.

Bain

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Pugged my Relic weapon on Midgardsormr with my DRG finally last night. It was rough to sit through so many HM Titan wipes because people couldn't figure out which bombs appeared on their screen first or that the strange effect under their feet wasn't going to heal them, but it was worth it(I think).

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I did Aman Vale (spelling, whatever) last night for the first time... joined a group in progress on the pull before the last boss. It's a 48 bard, 49 warrior, 48 scholar, and me (48 bard). I don't know how, but I'm crushing this other bard. He's doing literally nothing beyond tossing up the two dots. We wipe and I ask him "Why aren't you using rain of death on the adds?", he doesn't say anything, but the next pull he uses it and we clear the boss easily. At the end of the fight I ask "Why didn't you play a single song during the entire fight? Throw up the TP song or MP song for the Scholar. Anything." and the only response back was "Because I'm terrible at this game.".

I was just dumbfounded with the complete honesty.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pugged my Relic weapon on Midgardsormr with my DRG finally last night. It was rough to sit through so many HM Titan wipes because people couldn't figure out which bombs appeared on their screen first or that the strange effect under their feet wasn't going to heal them, but it was worth it(I think).
I think the hard part about Titan is just the layers of mechanics. Your bomb example for instance. The 3 line bomb sequence isn't hard to figure out. My first time, I wiped to it cause I didn't know exactly what I was doing. Ok, cool. So we run it again and get to that same part. I learn and this time I get through that part. But fuck, I didn't realize he'd do a landslide in the middle of that bomb sequence, so I'm stuck between the first bomb line and the safe one. I have no choice but to eat a landslide or bomb. So that's another wipe. So now it's like 20 minutes later just to get through that one little sequence.

Once you've seen the entire fight, it's no problem. But little things like that where the smallest error can cause you to die (and therefore make it almost impossible for the group to win without you) make it a tough fight. The entire group has to pretty much know the fight inside and out and be on their game.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah getting this running on linux is entirely not worth it, will switch back to Windows on that box. Was trying to stay on Linux so I play less games so I would concentrate on work and school but those are both going really well so why not.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I did Aman Vale (spelling, whatever) last night for the first time... joined a group in progress on the pull before the last boss. It's a 48 bard, 49 warrior, 48 scholar, and me (48 bard). I don't know how, but I'm crushing this other bard. He's doing literally nothing beyond tossing up the two dots. We wipe and I ask him "Why aren't you using rain of death on the adds?", he doesn't say anything, but the next pull he uses it and we clear the boss easily. At the end of the fight I ask "Why didn't you play a single song during the entire fight? Throw up the TP song or MP song for the Scholar. Anything." and the only response back was "Because I'm terrible at this game.".

I was just dumbfounded with the complete honesty.
heh so honest.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
For the corehound guildhest I get a tank that killed seven or eight mobs early and some "you fail" boss guy spawned and the game is screaming YOU HAVE TO KILL THEM ALL AT THE SAME TIME DUMBASS and everyone in the group is telling him to stop and finally he goes "nobody said anything!"

I can't forgive shit like that. The game pops up a window telling you exactly what to do. People in group said what to do before, and during. The game flashes text across the screen when you fuck up. But what really hurts is you can't blacklist these people and you could very possibly get them again.

To be fair, I have died twice in dungeons where it was my fault. Stone Vigil final boss, I was boxed in and had no time to run around the ice patches to get out of the strafe. So I tried to run across the ice. Mistakes were made. I then watched the rest of the group blunder into almost every strafe and learned the right choice. And my very first (normal) Titan, I found out that the red ring is a lie and you can't get quite that close to the edge.

Oh, and I died in the world for the first time the other day. It was a lv49 boss FATE and the mob wasn't visible on my screen until about .0001 seconds before his buttfart attack went off and one shot me.

Hopefully those things didn't cause me to lose my B-team status.