Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
LOL. Square Enix customer service at its finest. Lenwen's account was suspended for 9 days on suspicion of RMT. He called them to ask about it and was told:

1. We won't tell you why we suspect you,
2. If we find you haven't done anything wrong, you'll get your account back in 9 days, if not, we'll just ban you,
3. If you aren't guilty, you won't get your time credited back that we've stolen from you.

FFXIV loses another subscriber. Shock.

Killoran_sl

shitlord
Been searching for people in ISIS for the past week and have yet to see any of you guys on. Is there a way to search through Free Companies in game? Name is Killoran in game, casually leveling up a lancer while trying to resist class hopping too much.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
LOL. Square Enix customer service at its finest. Lenwen's account was suspended for 9 days on suspicion of RMT. He called them to ask about it and was told:

1. We won't tell you why we suspect you,
2. If we find you haven't done anything wrong, you'll get your account back in 9 days, if not, we'll just ban you,
3. If you aren't guilty, you won't get your time credited back that we've stolen from you.

FFXIV loses another subscriber. Shock.
This is pretty much the norm for mmos nowadays. I don't know of any company that tells people why they suspect them and doesn't take this route generally. I don't think they'll miss him much though.

They recently said they have 500k players daily.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone looking for an fc to hit endgame with?
My (small) fc is looking to create a third group. We've been clearing twintania for months. Some of us have gotten so bored we've rolled separate toons to run coil with. Planned raidtimes are Tuesday-Thursday starting at 6pm est, going until whenever.
No real experience needed just an ability to get on consistently or atleast communicate if and when you can't make it. As an added bonus you'll be grouping with people who've been clearing coil for months.
Recruiting all classes, on adamantoise, message se?ora kazora if interested

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Been searching for people in ISIS for the past week and have yet to see any of you guys on. Is there a way to search through Free Companies in game? Name is Killoran in game, casually leveling up a lancer while trying to resist class hopping too much.
Yeah, sorry, the majority of us have basically gone on break or left the game at this point. Losing our bard to some bullshit suspension was the last straw for me.

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
@Jackdaddio
Didn't want to fudge up the ESO thread so addressing you here.
The content they are releasing just doesn't warrant the $16 bucks a month between the lockouts, and timers, and caps, you might get a solid 8 hours of game play a month. So not knocking you just my personal opinion. If its worth it to you by all means enjoy.
Content updates every 4 to 5 months x$16 = I could buy a whole other game with more content.

I personally hate to much instanced content and FFXIV goes over the line IMO.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
FFXIV is all instance. everything that you will be doing will be instanced if you do not want to craft or deal with AH. Your tomes are instanced (plus maybe dailies which are...dailies). Your raids are instanced. Even your leveling (alt class) will be all instanced (and fates while you wait for dungeon ques). It is the ultimate theme park MMO. If you like this, enjoy.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
@Jackdaddio
Didn't want to fudge up the ESO thread so addressing you here.
The content they are releasing just doesn't warrant the $16 bucks a month between the lockouts, and timers, and caps, you might get a solid 8 hours of game play a month. So not knocking you just my personal opinion. If its worth it to you by all means enjoy.
Content updates every 4 to 5 months x$16 = I could buy a whole other game with more content.

I personally hate to much instanced content and FFXIV goes over the line IMO.
Water under the bridge man. I'm not defending the game after being an abused 1.0 player; just hoping to bring facts whenever I can to a discussion without it getting all medieval and shit. Whatever skepticism or grudge people hold over SE after that is well justified.

But yeah, it's opinion about the amount of content and what's in there. A lot of the people who I know left FFXIV and looked at this patch are impressed by what's shown. Looks like a lot of stuff to me (no way I'm running down the full list). Remember that's just the video, not necessarily all the points and notes you were looking at. Plus what they released last patch was meaty. Have you seen the notes/comments for what's planned for 2.2, not just the video reveals? I honestly didn't think you were being that serious though because you mainly picked on points that didn't matter like hairstyles and there isn't anything wrong with goofing on a game for fun.

But for $13/month, it's hard to find a game that really keeps it's main base of at least 500k subs happy and without trying to sneak in a cash shop on top of it. I know I have seven mounts and idk how many minions. Any other game would have been either charging me for those mounts, or saying "Buy our expansion pack and get a chance to get a new mount" or some other scheme. That alone is worth the $13/month for me.

One thing you also have to factor in, is that unlike those other games you are talking about, FFXIV is a game designed to not just max to 50 with your toon and wait for content.

A lot of the people like to level multiple classes so that their mains are stronger and that takes a LOT of time to redo that. I think initially SE was allowing people to do just that after launch because if they release everything too fast without people ready with the proper jobs, then you have people not able to do Coil and the like and now, there's all this new shit they still have to catch up on if they put something else out.

That makes the problem of what you mentioned in the TESO thread bigger.. "minimalizing the old content with new stuff", because then someone will say"Shit, I still need to level my Arcanist to 45 to get X skill... screw it. I'm not doing the old zone again since new stuff is coming in six weeks I can level it in."

edit: Also I think they went the heavily instanced route because 1.0 was very little instances at all, the world was extremely copypasta and you could run forever, even in the towns. I think the instancing was a result of them not having the same kind of time to put 2.0 together that they had with 1.0 because they were hemorrhaging money. Remember, they didn't charge anyone for over a year to play 1.0 while they built 2.0 behind it.. extremely fast. That doesn't give anyone time to make a seamless world without a lot of zoning involved.

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
I played 1.0 as well the only reason I even F'ed with it was because it was free for so long.Yeah they do have a lot of content on 2.2 but I think the path they are going is just not for me. It is just to instanced and the community pretty much blows as well. Folks cant get a grp if they don't know the fight, and they can't know the fight if they cant get a grp. It is not newb friendly which means it will not get new players and it will and is bleeding established players with no influx of new folks= Dead game soon.

I had a buncha guildees roll out, and Last week I was trying to run some Dungeons off the duty finder and party finder, It was a lesson in futility. That kinda sealed things for me. I was going to transfer but I wasn't going to spend an additional $18 for that as well. I might wait for server merges (they will come) and re sub. I'm pretty much maxed out on everything since I played back in 2010. It is much better than the initial launch but I just hate the instanced everything and the sad community instances promote.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think server mergers are definitely needed. There's just not enough variety of players to make pf work at the moment. You have your casuals and newbies learning fights. And you have your hardcores that just want to farm. Right now there's not enough of each and they end up intermingling on shit like the primal extremes and it ends up being no fun for anyone.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I played 1.0 as well the only reason I even F'ed with it was because it was free for so long.Yeah they do have a lot of content on 2.2 but I think the path they are going is just not for me. It is just to instanced and the community pretty much blows as well. Folks cant get a grp if they don't know the fight, and they can't know the fight if they cant get a grp. It is not newb friendly which means it will not get new players and it will and is bleeding established players with no influx of new folks= Dead game soon.

I had a buncha guildees roll out, and Last week I was trying to run some Dungeons off the duty finder and party finder, It was a lesson in futility. That kinda sealed things for me. I was going to transfer but I wasn't going to spend an additional $18 for that as well. I might wait for server merges (they will come) and re sub. I'm pretty much maxed out on everything since I played back in 2010. It is much better than the initial launch but I just hate the instanced everything and the sad community instances promote.
SE said they had 500k daily playing the game, but indicated they had more people subbed but not actually logging in 'daily' (1.8 mil or something). I wouldn't doubt a few servers need to be trimmed in order to compensate for Launch Day Madness, but based on how SE did things with FFXI I wouldn't hold my breath on that for a LONG time. I forget which server I started on back then but it was a ghost town for the longest before they merged us with Asura I think. They were pretty happy with the numbers they saw so they let things go on. That's the time when having a good linkshell was a blessing for me.

The game won't really be dead soon, even without an influx of new players. Even when they weren't charging people for 1.0 and it's badness, you had plenty of diehards hanging around and actually grinding off efts and deer which was insane, right up until the time they pushed 2.0 out. Their community is one of the hardest baked around, so I wouldn't worry about two things happening ever: 1) game dying or 2) game going F2P. Not gonna happen.

As for dungeons I agree and disagree. It's very true that the community is snobbish when it comes to numbers and gear rating, a little like WoW with GearCheck or w/e that shit is. The FFXIV community early on was quite obsessive when SE put numbers on gear like that and drank the KoolAid. I see things eased up a bit now because so many people are geared you don't need everyone that way.

Now as to not being able to know the dungeons, that's flat wrong.

In this age of YouTube videos, guides, boss telegraphs, etc.. there's no WAY someone can use the excuse that they haven't been in the dungeon so they can't know the fight. That's a cop out. Personally I hate reviewing someone's guide on How To Win Dungeons and Influence Raid Bosses, but I will at least LOOK at the videos to get an idea of what's going to happen or read some text written about it so that I'm not a complete hindrance to the party. Those nostalgic days of yore are over for that totally greenhorn-type play unless you want to scrape around in a PUG where people have no clue, and most just don't want to know.

Groups with those a-holes yelling "Must know the fight/must be geared" are trying to protect the people that already know the fight in the group already and don't want a four hour marathon. I don't like the arrogance of it sometimes but I fully understand why they do it. It's like PvP; I don't like leaving my mic on to listen to Junior yelling into it "I said LEFT SIDE. LEFT LEFT LEFT DAMMIT! MOVE OUT!", but I understand why they make everyone who wants to join that shit listen to it; so they can dominate the side where everyone is running around like chickens.

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
I think server mergers are definitely needed. There's just not enough variety of players to make pf work at the moment. You have your casuals and newbies learning fights. And you have your hardcores that just want to farm. Right now there's not enough of each and they end up intermingling on shit like the primal extremes and it ends up being no fun for anyone.
Exactly!

BUT once you get to merging it's already to late for a game to usually recover.It is a game mechanic they boxed themselves in with. They assume by seceding content to less experienced players as they create new actually helps. In fact it does the opposite it trivializes the prior content angering those who worked hard and makes the less experienced less likely to even want to do it due to it being less challenging.Not to mention no one there to do it with anymore.

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
"Now as to not being able to know the dungeons, that's flat wrong."

No actually it isn't. I'm one of those players who likes to help people and chat alot with people in general. When I ask people about dungeons or primals I get the same response "No one will do them with me because I have never done them". I have even had people tell me they have watched the videos and explained that to the grps but have still been booted. My point is this game is not newb or casual friendly at all. Therefore you will not keep new folks in fluxing into the game.

The only reason you have a die hard grp of folks is almost entirely due to the Brand itself. I must admit I played the very first FF and fall into that category. If this was not FF I would have dropped this game at 1.0 and never looked back.

This game is indeed filled with elitist snobs and on the Legacy server is far worse I'm sure than non Legacy. Thats why I was thinking of transferring.

I will keep an eye on 2.2 and if it moves me I will throw another $15 at it. Dark Souls II will eat up my time in April though. Have been playing Banished lately finally hit 900 population. Now thats a pretty hard game.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
The game is as casual and noob friendly as most MMOs. People in general, however, aren't, and have the power to vote to remove you from a group if you're a casual. SE can't fix this without removing that power, however, there were other, good reasons for adding votekick in the first place.

If you don't mention that you don't know what you're doing, and either: a) read up on/watch the fights, or b) find a group of people that aren't a bunch of assholes, you are good to go. I prefer b) myself. The only reason I'm not playing anymore is because my group of people that aren't a bunch of assholes is on break, and I'm not touching PF/DF. Screw that.

Conkuur_sl

shitlord
Yeah but if you are sitting at end game with just dungeons to do and timers and lockouts and tome caps do you really wanna pay a monthly for 8 hours of gameplay a month? If you do thats great for you but my choice is no.

I try to look at the game over all, is it thriving? No ......Why isn't it? to much instanced content,poor community attitude (due to instances),timers,lockouts,tome caps, etc...

"The game is as casual and noob friendly as most MMO's." Yeah and thats why folks don't stick around most MMO's these days. You remember (or maybe you don't) when there was more persistent world content people and communities had to come together. It pretty much forced you to help others just to help yourself it was a "win win". A matter a fact your friendships lasted longer then the content usually.

Now everything is instanced and if you don't come into the game guilded up good Fkn luck with these A-hole PUG grps. I could probably spend all day here explaining the horrible PUGs I had the past 2 weeks I have been in since my guildees have flown the coop.I didn't get how Fkd the game was until I had to make shit happen on my own. So Alkorin I'm right with you and you pretty much prove my point. I'm gone because I don't have the time nor energy to pay to look for non assholes as most people must find themselves in.

Draynar_sl

shitlord
The raid content in this game is very hard and one person can generally wipe a group if they play wrong so can understand why they don't want them but how is this different then raiding in any game? Currently the raid game will get easier in next patch for those people to pub it but until then they're trying to the hardest of hard content in pugs. If that was easily possible the game would be ripped on for being way to easy.

Basically if you want to raid get a group. If you want WoW's LFR type difficulty to beat on do CT.