Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
It's an entire game of that as far as the main story goes and it only gets worse.

Did you get as far the 2 hours of "teleport to Horizon then manually walk to me so I can explain the plot you just saw to you again" or the 3 hours of "teleport back to Camp Drybone because this is the only zone in the game we can add phased content to for some reason" or the hour of "teleport to one of the main cities, if you are lucky this is subtle direction to a side quest be probably not."?

End game you get points towards gear for repeating the easy anti climatic story dungeons and then finally you can auto skip cutscenes.

The actual GAME is good, but the STORY is one of the worst in gaming history.
You can skip cutscenes and dialog. The only ones you can't skip are the ones when you make a new character.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've actually been having fun with the hunt system. There is a small element of old school EQ identifying and racing to mobs before the other guy to it; and if you are doing it at off hours with a small group, and not alerting God, Corp and Country when they spawn, it isn't too bad. Hell, this morning in 30 minutes we whacked 4 or 5 B mobs, not a bad return on time investment; they were just sitting there. Also a chance to BS with folks, just like back in the day, instead of constant button mashing.

Doing it at peak hours, though? Especially on Gilgamesh with the Steak Theory horde? That's a goddamn nightmare. Unless you have a badass group within the horde and are getting credit on every kill. Then it is something else entirely. I stick with the small groups though, more my speed, I tried the horde and it was more of a pain in the ass than it was worth.

Just my opinion on it from a much more casual perspective.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You call them "story mechanics" to try and make it sound less terrible? How sad
Sandy Much?
The actual GAME is good, but the STORY is one of the worst in gaming history.
Really, everyone has varying opinions. I liked the Story, and I liked the stories in SWTOR also. You had to walk your ass through 5 different zones altogether in SWTOR just to get some shitty quest done almost every level all the way up to 50. For fuck sakes, those empty Hangars..... At least ARR you can port to or almost to the spot where the quest is. Im not saying that these story quests make me fucking excited to do them and honestly, you should be able to skip any cut scene or tutorial if you want to skip it - but a quick search shows quite a few news articles of journalist that enjoyed the story line of ARR.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I've actually been having fun with the hunt system. There is a small element of old school EQ identifying and racing to mobs before the other guy to it; and if you are doing it at off hours with a small group, and not alerting God, Corp and Country when they spawn, it isn't too bad. Hell, this morning in 30 minutes we whacked 4 or 5 B mobs, not a bad return on time investment; they were just sitting there. Also a chance to BS with folks, just like back in the day, instead of constant button mashing.

Doing it at peak hours, though? Especially on Gilgamesh with the Steak Theory horde? That's a goddamn nightmare. Unless you have a badass group within the horde and are getting credit on every kill. Then it is something else entirely. I stick with the small groups though, more my speed, I tried the horde and it was more of a pain in the ass than it was worth.

Just my opinion on it from a much more casual perspective.
Yup, I am super casual and pretty much addicted to Hunts at this point, but I can see it getting old in the very near future.

I finally got my first job to 50 over the weekend and decided to try a hunt or two last night as my gear was a wimpy ilvl 46. Five hours later and I am decked out in ilvl 90 and feeling ready to start running some of the harder content. I'm sure I just got lucky and happened upon a great party (all in different LS's non stop calling out hunts) but I had a blast shooting the shit and racing from hunt to hunt. Didn't feel like a grind at all.

HAVING SAID THAT, upgrading to weathered gear and beyond is sure to be a different story. Must of ran at least 50 hunts, a good amount rank A (one S) and didnt get a single log. At least now I have the option of running some of the harder, more lucrative dungeons to stave off the monotony.

Been awhile since I have enjoyed am mmo this much, I just might stick around for a bit this time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can buy logs with hmm soldiery I think it was? Something anyway, in Mor dhona I'm fairly sure where the high level gear vendors are. Log drops are like just to add a bit of RNG to it but mostly you buy the logs with one of the things you get from hunts. Might be allied seals instead, like 300 of them I wanna say but not sure, only read about it.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't played an MMO since like eons and I am quite enjoying this. Really like the non-cartoon stylized character proportions, so refreshing not seeing Disneyesque arms, legs and faces. Yeah that midget race is creepy and some of the hair cuts are lame but everything else is easy on the eyes. The story is really awful, not surprised from reading the comments on here that others feel the same. The way they present the story grates fast. I just hit escape and be done. I still have no idea what the main plot is about. The jobs/class system is really awesome, wish other games would rip this off.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I haven't played an MMO since like eons and I am quite enjoying this. Really like the non-cartoon stylized character proportions, so refreshing not seeing Disneyesque arms, legs and faces. Yeah that midget race is creepy and some of the hair cuts are lame but everything else is easy on the eyes. The story is really awful, not surprised from reading the comments on here that others feel the same. The way they present the story grates fast. I just hit escape and be done. I still have no idea what the main plot is about. The jobs/class system is really awesome, wish other games would rip this off.
The big crystal asks you to stop the end of the world. Garleans are bad and have a super weapon.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Anyone else confused at why the Garleans have all this high tech shit but their troops are the most boring and poorly armoured and armed in the game? They have PIKES, shouldn't they have guns? The transexual faction leader has a shotgun.

I also noticed that they probably spent 2 months of development time on making a 3D version of the FF6 magitek armor and 2 days on the other magitek models.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
As far as I know (probably wrong, please correct) everyone was kind of fucked over 5 years ago thanks to Bahamut and the Garleans are still recovering?

spronk

FPS noob
for me the story of FF14:ARR was that MILFina is trying to bake the Cake of a Thousand Truths for a surprise birthday party for her gay dad, Admiral EyePatch. Her tits are too big though and she keeps losing the ingredients down them, so she has asked you, her latest Tinder swipe, to gather the 101 special ingredients so she can bake the cake. Since you haven't slept with her yet you obviously agree, and spend the game collecting all the items she needs. Her stupid kids keep cock blocking you but eventually that problem solves itself.

it got a little weird when you ran into her ex boyfriend who owns a pretty bitching villa with a ton of guards, and the surprise twist (spoilers) is that she also lezz'd out with a catholic nun who dresses in all white, both want her back but she blocked them on facebook.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
for me the story of FF14:ARR was that MILFina is trying to bake the Cake of a Thousand Truths for a surprise birthday party for her gay dad, Admiral EyePatch. Her tits are too big though and she keeps losing the ingredients down them, so she has asked you, her latest Tinder swipe, to gather the 101 special ingredients so she can bake the cake. Since you haven't slept with her yet you obviously agree, and spend the game collecting all the items she needs. Her stupid kids keep cock blocking you but eventually that problem solves itself.

it got a little weird when you ran into her ex boyfriend who owns a pretty bitching villa with a ton of guards, and the surprise twist (spoilers) is that she also lezz'd out with a catholic nun who dresses in all white, both want her back but she blocked them on facebook.
Spot on. Pretty much exactly what I came away with too.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I thought that was just the Summoner story line.

--- Yes, the side lore has put the Garleans at a lack of resources and man power since ARR event. As far as I can tell though, the the ARR Dev team has just about dropped the main story line when it come to the Garleans. Im sure, like other notable mmo's have done, that when they add some of the Garlean content that is just alluded too (The garlean gates that lead to zones that are locked off to the player for example) that we'll see a revamp of the NPC's in those areas.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I got the sense that most of the Garleans you see are conscripts/conquered people levies; obviously, you have some higher ranking ones with kick ass magitek gear, but the majority of them are just like conscripts have been since the dawn of war: poorly armed and armored cannon fodder. There is a comment or two that reflects it, and a few mentions of the one general who was foreign but got promoted anyway, yada yadda.

Shit, I've been spending too much time playing this, heh.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think the foreign conversion team or whatever it's called for this game is great. Dialogue is hokey but it's in keeping with ff roots. There's never any /facepalm bad translation moments. And they have some pretty humorous stuff, with some of the fate names and quests.
Granted I still escape spam out of most things but when there's a good cinematic cutscenes its generally worth eatching

Sarg_sl

shitlord
The PvP in this game is really pissing me off. While the frontlines are enjoyable and fun to do, the rewards are worthless. The new set that they added with rank 40 is not even a usable option since morale is useless in the current PvP content. It would be nice for them to just make the PvP gear you earn just a normal set with normal stats since they've clearly decided the current morale implementation isn't the route they're wanting PvP to even make use of.

PvP for glamour gear is dumb, and makes me want to rant.

On a side note if anyone wants a friend invite for this recruit a friend program they have now, PM me.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I think the foreign conversion team or whatever it's called for this game is great. Dialogue is hokey but it's in keeping with ff roots. There's never any /facepalm bad translation moments. And they have some pretty humorous stuff, with some of the fate names and quests.
Granted I still escape spam out of most things but when there's a good cinematic cutscenes its generally worth eatching
Yeah, the game's writers are really on the ball as a crew. Tons of little things and the language isn't PG rated which is refreshing change of pace. When you're doing quests and you see the NPC's say things like "I don't even have time for a piss?", makes it pretty realistic dialogue wise.

I like the Star Wars classic reference of Biggs and Wedge, although I think they should have switched the names on them.

rrr_img_73630.jpg

rrr_img_73631.jpg

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
The PvP in this game is really pissing me off. While the frontlines are enjoyable and fun to do, the rewards are worthless. The new set that they added with rank 40 is not even a usable option since morale is useless in the current PvP content. It would be nice for them to just make the PvP gear you earn just a normal set with normal stats since they've clearly decided the current morale implementation isn't the route they're wanting PvP to even make use of.

PvP for glamour gear is dumb, and makes me want to rant.
This isn't a PvP game, but you knew that going in so to expect the PvP gearing to make any sense when even in real PvP games they often times don't.... /shrug. Not very rantworthy to complain about PvP issues in a PvE centric game. It's basically a distraction and change of pace type thing. No one takes it seriously.

The bread/butter of this game is the PvE/crafting/social shit. I doubt 75% of the population in this game has even tried Frontlines and those that do want it exactly for that... armor glamouring.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the game's writers are really on the ball as a crew. Tons of little things and the language isn't PG rated which is refreshing change of pace. When you're doing quests and you see the NPC's say things like "I don't even have time for a piss?", makes it pretty realistic dialogue wise.

I like the Star Wars classic reference of Biggs and Wedge, although I think they should have switched the names on them.
To be fair, the Wedge/Biggs thing is a FF thing in general, it's not new, they've been in many games and it's not a translation thing either, they're called like that in japanese also. Star Wars reference originally but like at this point it's become more of a FF clich?, kinda like the summons, chocobos, moogles etc.