Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chris

Potato del Grande
To be fair, the Wedge/Biggs thing is a FF thing in general, it's not new, they've been in many games and it's not a translation thing either, they're called like that in japanese also. Star Wars reference originally but like at this point it's become more of a FF clich?, kinda like the summons, chocobos, moogles etc.
I liked that they added Jessie near the end of the game, which is referencing her being with Biggs and Wedge in FF7.

Argarth

On the verandah
Enjoying this a lot, including the main storyline, cut-scenes and all. My Archer is approaching 30, and 3 other classes to ~ 15, the dungeons have all been pretty fun, and without exception everyone has been really friendly (so far).

The only issue I'm having is I can't find groups or do fates when the server pop is low (playing on Behemoth, supposed Oceanic server, I'm in Australia) and then I'm pretty much fucked for levelling options.

Always running out of quests, or they give crap xp/involve ridiculous amounts of traveling, and the leve limit seems really stingy etc.

Am I missing anything? Does it somehow get better later on?

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
This isn't a PvP game, but you knew that going in so to expect the PvP gearing to make any sense when even in real PvP games they often times don't.... /shrug. Not very rantworthy to complain about PvP issues in a PvE centric game. It's basically a distraction and change of pace type thing. No one takes it seriously.

The bread/butter of this game is the PvE/crafting/social shit. I doubt 75% of the population in this game has even tried Frontlines and those that do want it exactly for that... armor glamouring.
It make sense in warcraft and this game heavily apes warcraft. They're just not very good at making their itemization good yet. It's very, very boring +gooder shit.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Enjoying this a lot, including the main storyline, cut-scenes and all. My Archer is approaching 30, and 3 other classes to ~ 15, the dungeons have all been pretty fun, and without exception everyone has been really friendly (so far).

The only issue I'm having is I can't find groups or do fates when the server pop is low (playing on Behemoth, supposed Oceanic server, I'm in Australia) and then I'm pretty much fucked for levelling options.

Always running out of quests, or they give crap xp/involve ridiculous amounts of traveling, and the leve limit seems really stingy etc.

Am I missing anything? Does it somehow get better later on?
I guess cause its relatively quick for most people leveling a second job - but it seems like under level 35 or so, people just kind of solo? Once you get deeper into your 30's, a queue shouldnt be but 20 minutes or so for a DPS (cross server). Questing becomes quicker as well, since you're often just revisiting the same areas you've already been at. So you can just teleport to them, now. If not directly to them, then to an area next to it that you can take a choco ride from. Thus, giving you a chance to go piss/eat/whatever. While you're out doing your questing and leves, join the fates as well. They arent as popular as they used to be, thanks to dungeons, but they are a pretty good filler for in between. But thats just it, questing, leves, dungeons and fates all together will level you quickly.

Ive ran into quite a few idiots in the game, but yea, they're friendly lol.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wish there was a better/cheaper transportation system in the game. Too may quests where you have to ping pong between opposite sides of the continent. Shit gets expensive teleporting and fuck riding your chocobo across the world.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Wish there was a better/cheaper transportation system in the game. Too may quests where you have to ping pong between opposite sides of the continent. Shit gets expensive teleporting and fuck riding your chocobo across the world.
In case you didn't read the hint popup thingie, you can set like 3 places as favorites which gets massively reduced teleport costs. Definitely want to set one capital and the place near the main story quest hideout place. Alternatively just set your favorite to Limsa Lominsa, taking the boat from Limsa brings you right to the quest town and it's technically faster.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
So the cap on tomes is 7 days? Is that from the time you get 450? I upgraded everything but my weapon like a noob and i'm too poor to buy the materia for the next step for my relic at the moment.

Argarth

On the verandah
Someone gave me a -net for living in Australia, and it's "anonymous". Surely I should be able to see the name of my accuser...?

Edit: Oh and thanks @Daidraco, seems like I am "doing it right", just slows down some when their are few people around.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Is there a PVP scene in this game? I am sitting in an 11 minute queue for level 30's. My hope is that it's a ghost town at lower levels but things pick up at 50? Probably not worth even trying to PVP until 50?

Sarg_sl

shitlord
Is there a PVP scene in this game? I am sitting in an 11 minute queue for level 30's. My hope is that it's a ghost town at lower levels but things pick up at 50? Probably not worth even trying to PVP until 50?
Wolves den is pretty much obsolete now, so the only actual pvp scene now is with the frontlines, which are pretty fun, and are active. They are level 50 only however, so unfortunately the level 30 and 40 based wolves dens are likely dead. I ranted some about it in an earlier post, but PvP is done surprisingly well for a PVE game, with the exception of the rewards being fairly useless. Frontlines use 100% PVE gear only, so the pvp gear with morale is basically not useful (as the morale stat is deactivated, as is all materia bonuses from gear). this means that PVE gear will be the best, while PvP gear and rewards for pvping are essentially only for cosmetics. My current hope on this matter is that they just don;t know wtf direction they want pvp to go in at this point, and maybe it will be addressed soon. But you can look forward to a fairly healthy pvp game at 50 with the frontlines (24v24v24).

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
So the cap on tomes is 7 days? Is that from the time you get 450? I upgraded everything but my weapon like a noob and i'm too poor to buy the materia for the next step for my relic at the moment.
The (450) tome cap, current raid, Crystal Tower lootlock all reset at the same time (Tuesdays). It's not based on when you did it last/capped it/etc.

As for the relic materia, you'll probably be able to just spiritbond jewelry and lucksack your way into what you need faster than it would take to get the $$ to get the materia. It's what I did for mine, when Quicktongue IIIs broke the bank at launch.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
The (450) tome cap, current raid, Crystal Tower lootlock all reset at the same time (Tuesdays). It's not based on when you did it last/capped it/etc.

As for the relic materia, you'll probably be able to just spiritbond jewelry and lucksack your way into what you need faster than it would take to get the $$ to get the materia. It's what I did for mine, when Quicktongue IIIs broke the bank at launch.
Good new's on the tome cap. I ran AK, WP, and Ifrit hard for the first time Saturday and missing out on the bonus was kinda killing my soul so I stopped running new stuff.

As for the materia, I was trying to soulbind some jewelry but it was taking too long so I just sold those few peices of quest reward materia I got. They sold pretty well and just about completely covered the cost for what I needed.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Soulbinding shouldn't take long, you go to one of the tribes area with a lots of mobs and just aoe them down. Preferable with a class that does that well, but generally you can soulbind an entire set in 10-15mins or so. Used to bring a few sets and do it for an hour with a friend and then we'd sell the materias. HQ gear soulbinds faster(but if you don't craft it yourself is more expensive so not necessarily worth it) and you need to kill stuff close to your level. Can also soulbind in dungeon runs and stuff even though you might get kicked for doing it(not a big issue if you're a tank or a healer though, and doesn't affect performance too much if you only do it on jewelry).

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Idk man. PLD is the only job I have at 50 so my aoe game is week. Spent about 30 minutes in Centri killing shit and was only at like 10 percent so I said screw it. After a day or so of running around clearing up quests and stuff i'm around 50 percent.

Now that I see how much can be made from the right materia I may just keep spiritbinding jewelery as I run through the easier content. At the very least to recoup what I spent.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hmm maybe they nerfed it since last time I played, or maybe you're just killing super slow with paladin which I guess is quite possible too. There's a spirit binding ring too from a quest in north limsa or somewhere around there(the place that has like a path made of paved stones in the water near the town) but obviously it means you don't spiritbind a slot when using it. If you're doing lower level content though it wouldn't increase very fast. Still worth it when doing random solo shit and what not though, I always had like 2 spare sets of shit to soulbind in my bag and just crafted more whenever I finished a set.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Hmm maybe they nerfed it since last time I played, or maybe you're just killing super slow with paladin which I guess is quite possible too. There's a spirit binding ring too from a quest in north limsa or somewhere around there(the place that has like a path made of paved stones in the water near the town) but obviously it means you don't spiritbind a slot when using it. If you're doing lower level content though it wouldn't increase very fast. Still worth it when doing random solo shit and what not though, I always had like 2 spare sets of shit to soulbind in my bag and just crafted more whenever I finished a set.
If a PLD isn't queuing for instant dungeons in order to spiritbind (instead of soloing mobs), they are doing it wrong. Not only is it far too slow and you pass on free myth/desynthing loot, that +3 ring and any other spiritbinding accessories are bullshit. Don't waste time with that stuff.

If you have a decent guild, find out when they will run the spiritbinding buff and make that your spiritbinding day. It's the only thing worth it. Faster to just put a level 1 materia in something and use the slot for another piece to spiritbind, but I wouldn't even do that due to the prices now (+1k and up).

As a tank or any class basically, you can do your jobs easily spiritbinding the entire right side with any junk as long as your left side (weapons/gear) is your normal stuff. Been in runs where a tank decided to put almost everything including crap level 49 armor on and couldn't hold hate in places like Amdapor. Your healer won't like you due to the damage you're going to take but if they are wearing 90 stuff should be easy to hold most hate and at least most BLMs who are spiritbinding as well won't be pulling mobs (don't have to worry about overgeared melees as a spiritbinding tank, they only take one mob).

Might have to pop some 49+ food if still having problems but really shouldn't be unless you go in with a guy i100 who is too stupid to spiritbind.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
The fastest way of leveling from around 40-44 (forget exactly, I'm away) is to do repeated runs of the first quarter of Dzamael. It's the place where if you stand near the crystals you only take 10% damage. Single pull the first quarter of the dungeon, which is around 60 mobs, and AE them down = 50K XP every 5 minutes. There are usually some folk in the party finder putting a group together for it (that's the 'Party Finder' not the Dungeon queues). Join one of those as a tank - I imagine it would be good for soulbinding.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the tip's everyone. I guess I didn't realize spirit binding was something most people did at end game so I always tended to wear my best gear when using the duty finder. Good to know I won't be lol kicked from any of the harder 4 man's for slotting my right side with crap.

In other new's, after getting past the materia step, I flew through the rest of the quest in like an hour and got my relic. Now to see if this atma grind is as sucktastic as everyone seems to claim. If it is, I may just skip it when my tome cap resets and start playing with the big boys. Dieing to see what these raids are about but I have been hesitating joining a fc and tanking a pug raid could easily sour the experience for me. Im guessing extreme primals drop ilvl 100 weapons as well?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If a PLD isn't queuing for instant dungeons in order to spiritbind (instead of soloing mobs), they are doing it wrong. Not only is it far too slow and you pass on free myth/desynthing loot, that +3 ring and any other spiritbinding accessories are bullshit. Don't waste time with that stuff.

If you have a decent guild, find out when they will run the spiritbinding buff and make that your spiritbinding day. It's the only thing worth it. Faster to just put a level 1 materia in something and use the slot for another piece to spiritbind, but I wouldn't even do that due to the prices now (+1k and up).

As a tank or any class basically, you can do your jobs easily spiritbinding the entire right side with any junk as long as your left side (weapons/gear) is your normal stuff. Been in runs where a tank decided to put almost everything including crap level 49 armor on and couldn't hold hate in places like Amdapor. Your healer won't like you due to the damage you're going to take but if they are wearing 90 stuff should be easy to hold most hate and at least most BLMs who are spiritbinding as well won't be pulling mobs (don't have to worry about overgeared melees as a spiritbinding tank, they only take one mob).

Might have to pop some 49+ food if still having problems but really shouldn't be unless you go in with a guy i100 who is too stupid to spiritbind.
Ive only been playing my Paladin the last couple days. I dropped him way back at re-release and soon quit the game. Ive been gearing him up and the only time I ever run into aggro problems is when someone in the group doesnt know the kill order. If I play my summoner, I only rarely pull off of paladins but can pull off warriors all day (at least it seems like it).

The only thing that kind of makes me frown is that there are nerfs fucking everywhere. I swear I remember Titan HM being.. harder? Ampador Keep doesnt have the bees anymore. Shit, im sure there is more. It wasnt the difficulty that made me quit originally, it was the lack of content. But w/e - Im sure it gets back to being hard around ilvl 100ish.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There have been nerfs, but I think a big part of it is people are running that older content in MUCH better gear, doing it through the roulettes for tomes or whatnot. HM Titan still wiped my queue group once when we did it over the weekend, despite all the gear; you have the echo buff now too after a wipe which is huge. Moogle King HM got my group once or twice too, but that was mainly because half of us were doing one thing while the other half were trying to do another, classic comms breakdown. As soon as that got sorted he went right down.

The extreme modes still give lots of people fits, as I understand it, even with the good gear, and coil is not a cakewalk for the vast majority of people out there yet either. But alot of the rest of it, that was tuned for ilvl 55-70ish, gets overrun by everyone who puts in a little time hunting to get their ilvl90 set, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. It is content that might get you once or twice with a gimmick but that you can generally dominate as soon as you figure it out.