Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is the gun class supposed to be another 'offtank' role - IE warriors will always be the first tank because of their threat/dps. I think Paladin and DRK compete for the second slot, will the new tank be in that role too or will it compete with warrior?

I haven't looked into it yet but I'll level it because tank

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Is the gun class supposed to be another 'offtank' role - IE warriors will always be the first tank because of their threat/dps. I think Paladin and DRK compete for the second slot, will the new tank be in that role too or will it compete with warrior?

Currently unknown but rumors has it that Drks and wars will be the main tanks while Gunbreaker and paladin will be your off/support tanks.
We will find out in May's live letter when they discuss the class changes and reworks.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I could see DRK being OT too, since TBN is one of the best offtanking support ability. They could give them a couple more part of the rework(the debuff shit that heals at the end of its duration/when the mob dies could be reworked into some support shit for example) and it'd work nicely like that.

Paladin as an offtank sounds a bit weird though. I mean it totally makes sense with the toolkit and in terms of gameplay, but at the same time, it's a bit curious lore/realism wise to have the tank in full plate with a shield not be the one tanking the boss. Like, they have a shield, just by default that should make the prime target for tanking, but since they're also so supportive it makes them the obvious pick for an offtank, kinda weird stuff.

They need to hurry with the may live letter I need to know what gear to buy for Dancer for sure. I've been gearing my tank and healer sets fully in scaevan so far and I did accessories for monk and ninja(well in progress), but once I'm done I'll need to start buying armor and I need to know if it's aiming or scouting.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well, WoW sort of did the same thing just through class balances. Warrior and Paladin aren't really main tanks (they can be, but if you have other tanks you probably don't want them to be).

For instance, brewmaster monks for a long time (and probably still) are the best tanks in the game and they hold a 2h staff.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Level 63 seems to be my weird magic number where I burn out on a Job, and need to give it a few days before I push to 70. Happened with Scholar, and now is happening with Samurai. I hit 63, and I'm just like mehhhh not sure I want to keep going. Bard is my "main" , I think, but even that I'm not sure. Haven't played them in a while.

I'm learning that FCs aren't really required? I've been sorta casually searching for a FC that's still running content, and not just in coast mode until new expansion. I want to run raids, etc. I think I'll have better luck after next Tuesday when the server transfers start.

Also, for gear, I had bought a full set of crafted Rak gear for my Bard, but now I'm not sure I want to do that with any of the other 70's I get. Gonna get a expensive. What do others do for gear on all their jobs?

Someone was telling me for Healers, that AST is very mobile? What's their mechanic that allows this? After playing Bard, I love being able to move while shooting!

Cybsled

Join a FC if only for the FC perks. I joined a casual one that doesn’t run content and just help out noobs in FC chat when they have questions or need help with MSQ.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
FCs in my experience rarely "run raids". They sometimes have statics within the FC, but a lot of time people join a static with other people on their server/datacenter, based on class needs and such, and don't actually raid with their FC. FC is more or less social, with the buffs being important for leveling(10% combat xp one which is up in almost every FC, can be 15% using temporary buffs but a lot of casual FCs don't, and you can get crafting or gathering buffs too, leader/officers decide what goes up every day). Like my previous FC the only thing people ran in FC were mount farm in old content and treasure hunts, but for actual savage raiding and what not it tends to be easier to find a static(check party finder for recruitment messages, although there might not be a ton at this point in the content patch).

For gear, just buy tome gear? Scaevan is 390, upgradeable to 400 and they raised the cap on genesis tomes to 900 a week so you can gear that decently fast, for the rest you do either Alphascape normal for some 380 gear(can be a pain with retarded nowadays), you can get one piece of 390 gear in Orbonne Monastery per week(will be uncapped in the future), you could in theory get Eureka armor but that shit's a long ass grind to even unlock the ability to buy the armor, and probably expensive too since you'd have to buy logograms realistically. Finally just Ghymlit dungeon gear is 375, which is fine enough to gear alts to get started.

Oh and on AST, they have one cooldown that makes all their spells for the next 15 or 20secs or whatever -2.5 casting time or something, so you can just spam heals while moving, but other than that it's the same as every other healers. I guess their nuke is faster cast also so you can stutter step between casts a bunch. But it's not like super mobility.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm

The main reason why they added a new Tank was they wanted to get away from the tanking triangle and try to balance it better. Here are the main post fanfest quotes from Yoshida about the tank meta and the reason for adding gunbreaker.

Q: Why is Gunbreaker a tank and not a DPS?
A: There are two reasons. First off, if we added it as a DPS, the numbers wouldn't be balanced anymore. We already have a lot of melee DPS, so we didn't want to add any more. The second reason is because it was about time to implement the FF series jobs that people around the world had been requesting, such as BLU. We considered that a gunblade job would make a good draw because of its flashiness and appearance, and adding it as a tank would be great for role balance. We debated about whether we could make a tank different from the ones that fight at the forefront and in the end decided to go with gunblade. There were a surprising amount of people who predicted it'd be a tank - about 70% of the community. I think that means the players are also aware of FFXIV's job balance and design policy.

Q: Right now, the three tanks are well-balanced. What will happen when you throw another job into the mix? Can you tell us roughly what Gunbreaker's special characteristics will be?
A: Honestly, please wait until May for the answer. We'll show you how the four tanks will differentiate themselves, including their new actions. We've had three tanks up to Patch 4.5, and we see tank players' preferences with regards to MTing, OTing, tank stances, etc. I don't think it'd be good for the three tanks to form a "triangle", so maybe we'll balance them by having two MTs and two OTs, or make them capable of both. Right now, we're working towards a compromise as we adjust the actions. We'll announce the battle system details in May, so please wait until then.

YoshiP responses from the Mr. Happy interview after Tokyo Fanfest:

We also really wanted to add another tank to balance the tanks more. With 4 tanks, we can better balance the tank role, with two main tanks and two off-tanks. When players decide which role or job to play. Even a small difference in abilities and attribute make a big difference. People like to take Paladin as an off-tank thanks to abilities like Cover, so the Warrior and Dark Knight are fighting for the main-tank spot most commonly. So hypothetically speaking, if we rebalance things and put Warrior as MT, then the Paladin and Dark Knight would be fighting for off-tank. No matter what we really needed to balance this with two and two. Its much more fair this way, so its two jobs between main tank and two between off-tank. This is very tentative so please convey this is no indication at all of our final plans.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I have only done one event with my FC and that was grinding Pagos. Other than that it's only for social. They do hold pony mount runs but anyone with a decently geared level 70 with a pulse can farm extremes to get them all. Took me 5 hours of farming to get all of them.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Level 63 seems to be my weird magic number where I burn out on a Job, and need to give it a few days before I push to 70. Happened with Scholar, and now is happening with Samurai. I hit 63, and I'm just like mehhhh not sure I want to keep going. Bard is my "main" , I think, but even that I'm not sure. Haven't played them in a while.

I'm learning that FCs aren't really required? I've been sorta casually searching for a FC that's still running content, and not just in coast mode until new expansion. I want to run raids, etc. I think I'll have better luck after next Tuesday when the server transfers start.

Also, for gear, I had bought a full set of crafted Rak gear for my Bard, but now I'm not sure I want to do that with any of the other 70's I get. Gonna get a expensive. What do others do for gear on all their jobs?

Someone was telling me for Healers, that AST is very mobile? What's their mechanic that allows this? After playing Bard, I love being able to move while shooting!
Im sorry but I laugh when I think back to you choosing WoW classes

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The main reason why they added a new Tank was they wanted to get away from the tanking triangle and try to balance it better. Here are the main post fanfest quotes from Yoshida about the tank meta and the reason for adding gunbreaker.

Q: Why is Gunbreaker a tank and not a DPS?
A: There are two reasons. First off, if we added it as a DPS, the numbers wouldn't be balanced anymore. We already have a lot of melee DPS, so we didn't want to add any more. The second reason is because it was about time to implement the FF series jobs that people around the world had been requesting, such as BLU. We considered that a gunblade job would make a good draw because of its flashiness and appearance, and adding it as a tank would be great for role balance. We debated about whether we could make a tank different from the ones that fight at the forefront and in the end decided to go with gunblade. There were a surprising amount of people who predicted it'd be a tank - about 70% of the community. I think that means the players are also aware of FFXIV's job balance and design policy.

Q: Right now, the three tanks are well-balanced. What will happen when you throw another job into the mix? Can you tell us roughly what Gunbreaker's special characteristics will be?
A: Honestly, please wait until May for the answer. We'll show you how the four tanks will differentiate themselves, including their new actions. We've had three tanks up to Patch 4.5, and we see tank players' preferences with regards to MTing, OTing, tank stances, etc. I don't think it'd be good for the three tanks to form a "triangle", so maybe we'll balance them by having two MTs and two OTs, or make them capable of both. Right now, we're working towards a compromise as we adjust the actions. We'll announce the battle system details in May, so please wait until then.

YoshiP responses from the Mr. Happy interview after Tokyo Fanfest:

We also really wanted to add another tank to balance the tanks more. With 4 tanks, we can better balance the tank role, with two main tanks and two off-tanks. When players decide which role or job to play. Even a small difference in abilities and attribute make a big difference. People like to take Paladin as an off-tank thanks to abilities like Cover, so the Warrior and Dark Knight are fighting for the main-tank spot most commonly. So hypothetically speaking, if we rebalance things and put Warrior as MT, then the Paladin and Dark Knight would be fighting for off-tank. No matter what we really needed to balance this with two and two. Its much more fair this way, so its two jobs between main tank and two between off-tank. This is very tentative so please convey this is no indication at all of our final plans.
Excellent. I think having 4 tanks is a good idea. Hoping they don't pigeonhole takes into MT/OT designations though.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Excellent. I think having 4 tanks is a good idea. Hoping they don't pigeonhole takes into MT/OT designations though.

"OT" in XIV just means tanky DPS, and sometimes you eat a tank buster. It's very rare that the OT actually needs to tank something.

Malkav

French Madman
"OT" in XIV just means tanky DPS, and sometimes you eat a tank buster. It's very rare that the OT actually needs to tank something.

Paladin currently being the best OT and Warr being the best MT totally goes against this statement.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I'm confused. Don't most people consider all the tanks just co-tanks and the only reason warrior gets the MT designation is because of threat/dps on pull and Holmgang?

I didn't think one tank was tanking the majority of the time and the other was only eating busters. If so, they could learn some lessons from Wow.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone play on ps4 or use a ds4 controller to play? I love the idea of it, and it's actually really well done but there isn't a way to replicate tab targeting with a controller and that turned me off. They haven't updated this, have they?

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah I'm confused. Don't most people consider all the tanks just co-tanks and the only reason warrior gets the MT designation is because of threat/dps on pull and Holmgang?

I didn't think one tank was tanking the majority of the time and the other was only eating busters. If so, they could learn some lessons from Wow.

In organized static play yes this is the case. Both tanks share equal responsibility, splitting their major CDs for busters and using minors to mitigate aoe and melee attacks. In PUGs more often than not you simplify things and have a basic MT that takes the majority of the busters, with the support of cover and intervention from a paladin. Swaps are only usually done when required, sometimes I try to get more experienced tanks to swap more often with me though. In general fights usually force swaps, like 9s has a forced swap + orb busters for both tanks. 10s has a debuff swap mechanic that may or may not force a swap. 11s has a positional swap for the second set of large fists etc.

Thinking about tanking in tandem is the proper mindset though, the number of PUG ST's that don't provoke+shirk for enmity after openers is mind boggling to me. Tank mitigation is obviously very fight specific. In the vast majority of PUGs minor cds going under utilized.