Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They were going to have to change the currency anyways for those old books, as red scrips will be gone I assume with expansion and yellows will become the new reds and we'll get greens or something to be the next "high level" scrip.
Yeah but that doesn't matter really, just reds will be yellows but new master books will still be on yellows, white scrips will only be available later, like for the raid release or savage release I forgot which. But you can't have the new books costing like 400yellows and the SB books also costing 400yellows, that'd be weird as fuck when the old SB books are basically nearly completely worthless other than crafting a few cosmetic shit. That's why they're nerfing the prices on them, so it makes sense in terms of progression, and if you didn't craft during SB you can go and grab all the books quicker.

Custom deliveries changed the scrips game quite a lot though, especially now that you can do 12 a week.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah but that doesn't matter really, just reds will be yellows but new master books will still be on yellows, white scrips will only be available later, like for the raid release or savage release I forgot which. But you can't have the new books costing like 400yellows and the SB books also costing 400yellows, that'd be weird as fuck when the old SB books are basically nearly completely worthless other than crafting a few cosmetic shit. That's why they're nerfing the prices on them, so it makes sense in terms of progression, and if you didn't craft during SB you can go and grab all the books quicker.

Custom deliveries changed the scrips game quite a lot though, especially now that you can do 12 a week.

No of course that makes sense, it's just like when the materia cost in scrips came down for crafting/gathering IV's and V's this expansion. I'm not sure if they'll keep IV's as yellow scrips, cause you figure they'll swap V's to what IV's cost were in reds but to yellows, and lower the cost for VI's to what V's were as reds. I'm just pointing out easy to lower prices for stuff when you already have to relist from red to yellow scrip categories anyways.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Got my miner to 60 and tripped and fell into the world of collectibles and scrips. This shit is glooooooorious.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Over the weekend, I managed to get to 30 Monk, Miner and Goldsmith in the 20s, and all other crafting/harvesting in the 10s.

The one issue I am running in to is storage space. It's a constant struggle to keep my bags from being completely full. If I understand it correctly, there is no bank to put some of this crap in to is there?

khorum

Murder Apologist
Each retainer can store a bunch of stuff, also your chocobo saddlebags. But aside from that you can decommission gear and put it into the glamour cabinet if you just wanna keep it for the looks.

No real bank per se.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Over the weekend, I managed to get to 30 Monk, Miner and Goldsmith in the 20s, and all other crafting/harvesting in the 10s.

The one issue I am running in to is storage space. It's a constant struggle to keep my bags from being completely full. If I understand it correctly, there is no bank to put some of this crap in to is there?
If you're on trial, you can't use retainers, which act as bank in this. Basically when you buy the game, you get access to retainers around lvl 17MSQ which let you both sell stuff on the market(which is why they're not available for trials, to prevent botters using trial accounts) and have... 150slots each iirc? And 20more to sell stuff. You get 2 retainer slots baseline, and you can buy more for a monthly fee, 2 is generally enough for normal play although a 3rd is pretty nice(and if using an Entry sub, the total price is still fine anyway so I feel it's pretty worth it).

Also you get the chocobo saddlebag when you get a chocobo, around lvl 20ish. You can definitely miss that one especially if you're the type of person who dismisses all the tip popups stuff. I forgot what's the default keybinding for it but you can find it in the menus. It's a fairly large additional space on top of your normal bags, but it can't be accessed in dungeons and is finnicky to use at times compared to the standard inventory, but it's nice regardless.

It's tough to do gathering/crafting without retainers unlocked though

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Is there a quick easy guide to level crafting and if so which ones are the ones to do first?

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
If you're on trial, you can't use retainers, which act as bank in this. Basically when you buy the game, you get access to retainers around lvl 17MSQ which let you both sell stuff on the market(which is why they're not available for trials, to prevent botters using trial accounts) and have... 150slots each iirc? And 20more to sell stuff. You get 2 retainer slots baseline, and you can buy more for a monthly fee, 2 is generally enough for normal play although a 3rd is pretty nice(and if using an Entry sub, the total price is still fine anyway so I feel it's pretty worth it).

Also you get the chocobo saddlebag when you get a chocobo, around lvl 20ish. You can definitely miss that one especially if you're the type of person who dismisses all the tip popups stuff. I forgot what's the default keybinding for it but you can find it in the menus. It's a fairly large additional space on top of your normal bags, but it can't be accessed in dungeons and is finnicky to use at times compared to the standard inventory, but it's nice regardless.

It's tough to do gathering/crafting without retainers unlocked though
I bought the starter package or what ever they called it, and I am still on my first free month that came along with it. I don't know if that means retainers are open for me yet or not. I do fully intend to subscribe to the game though because quite frankly, FFXIV is the best MMORPG for the money on the market right now. Anybody that was turned away (like I was) when the game first released is doing themselves a disservice by not retrying it now. The game is night and day better than it was at initial release.

I have my chocobo that I got from joining the Ul'Dah effort (I can't recall what they call it). I guess that means I have saddlebags on him. I will have to see if I can find that.

One of the things I greatly enjoy in the game is harvesting. It's extremely relaxing after a long day at work to come home and just go around harvesting materials. Most games these days make harvesting trivial, so it's nice to see a game where harvesting is meaningful and not just a side thing you do for a few minutes.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Got my miner to 60 and tripped and fell into the world of collectibles and scrips. This shit is glooooooorious.

That's the next thing on my list I have Botanist and Miner to 60/57 and I want to hit 70 on atleast one of them before the expansion.

Crafting/Gathering is really fun in this game and I have an itch to make more money. I have 3.5 Milly right now thanks mostly to eureka and I want to upgrade our FC house sometime soon.

Anyone got some secret hook ups for Pre expansion gil farming?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I bought the starter package or what ever they called it, and I am still on my first free month that came along with it. I don't know if that means retainers are open for me yet or not. I do fully intend to subscribe to the game though because quite frankly, FFXIV is the best MMORPG for the money on the market right now. Anybody that was turned away (like I was) when the game first released is doing themselves a disservice by not retrying it now. The game is night and day better than it was at initial release.

I have my chocobo that I got from joining the Ul'Dah effort (I can't recall what they call it). I guess that means I have saddlebags on him. I will have to see if I can find that.

One of the things I greatly enjoy in the game is harvesting. It's extremely relaxing after a long day at work to come home and just go around harvesting materials. Most games these days make harvesting trivial, so it's nice to see a game where harvesting is meaningful and not just a side thing you do for a few minutes.
Oh yeah if you have the game registered you have everything, trial is just the limited up to 35 thing before you register(can't add friends, make party finder groups or send tells either with that).

You should have access to retainers, assuming you're far enough in the MSQ. Go to one of the major city and find the Retainer Vocate NPC in the market areas(near market boards and all the vendors). While you probably had to talk to them for the MSQ, you don't necessarily have to make a retainer iirc. Anyway talk to them and assuming you're far enough which you should be since it's before getting the mount/joining a GC, they'll tell you about hiring a retainer. You can customize how they look and talk to you, then once it's complete, you can open them via the Summoning Bells that are all over the city(including right next to the vocate/market boards). You can then use them to store stuff, as well as sell stuff on the market. Make sure to make 2.

For the chocobo saddlebag, just look into the menu you'll find it it's a separate inventory, can also check the keybindings menu if you play with a keyboard to find what's the keybinding for it(mine's Ctrl I but pretty sure I switched it up).

Retainers also eventually unlock Ventures(pretty sure right away, An Ill Conceived Venture quest in the major cities, should be a blue quest). Ventures let you use venture coins to send them on expeditions to bring back items, as well as level them up. You can pick a combat class or a gathering class for them and they'll bring back items these classes can get, it's pretty great for passive money generation, getting annoying materials or just stocking up on shards/crystals for crafting. You can buy ventures with GC seals mostly early on, although you'll probably need them for ranking up so it's not that great at first. Beast Tribes too once you unlock these, but that's 40+.

Cybsled

That's the next thing on my list I have Botanist and Miner to 60/57 and I want to hit 70 on atleast one of them before the expansion.

Crafting/Gathering is really fun in this game and I have an itch to make more money. I have 3.5 Milly right now thanks mostly to eureka and I want to upgrade our FC house sometime soon.

Eureka drops will inflate in value after the new xpac comes out. People are going to be farming it less/there will be less people there.

Crafting wise its harder to tell, beyond materials used by the pre-60 crafter class quests. With all the dancers/gunblades, I would guess certain 60+ gear will become valuable since both those classes start at 60. HQ armors/etc will sell like hotcakes if I had to guess, since people will want to maximize efficiency.

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm

There is limited options right now for gathering as expansion is hitting soon. Here is what I tend to do to actively make money.

1) My number one go to is purchasing Grand Company Supply and Provisioning turn-ins from NPCs and reselling on the marketboard. People are lazy and will buy anything from the market. I primarily do this while I am leveling, and whatever items I need I will purchase extra if they sell for more on the market. I used this in both HW and SB to level 100% from GC turn ins and buying items from vendors, easily making 30 mil+ both expansions. If you really wanted, you could even do this now, but would be best when people are leveling up in new content. Take "Adamantite Helm of Maiming" which you can purchase for 25,322 from a vendor. The last 4 NQ ones on my server sold for 50-85k each with one being up for 80k right now.

If you wanted to be proactive for people still leveling their crafting classes right now you can reference this list:

2) Desynthesis in general is a great money maker and you don't need it capped to benefit. I like having GSM/LW/Weaver and just rolling on every dungeon drop. If it is one of those three, desynth, if not, turn in for seals. Level desythesis to around 180 in GSM/LW/Weaving and turn red gathering scripts into field craft demimateria 3 by purchasing the old gathering set pieces. They sell 40-50k a pop on my server.

3) Run quick ventures on retainers constantly for high selling furniture / dyes. Malakriss is corret in you will want to match them to your highest level roles so you can keep them leveled come the expansion. (Which I forgot I had my adventure retainer as AST and was planning on leveling WHM then DNC >.<)

4) Run Gazelleskin with groups or sell the maps once you can harvest them. Easy 25-30k a day depending on server.

5) When the weekly fashion report is announced and posted on reddit I will buy the recommended dyes/items from vendors and resell them on market board. Just like #1 can be easy 100k if you are up early enough before everyone else to establish the price.

One big thing to mention is I am no longer really pushing to make money and the changes with the world-visit will likely make #1 more difficult / tight. Who knows though, I am always surprised by the stupidity of people buying NQ turn-ins for 80k when they are bought from NPC for 13k.

Last edited:
  • 1Ding!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Eureka drops will inflate in value after the new xpac comes out. People are going to be farming it less/there will be less people there.
Depends on where in Eureka the items come from. Bunny groups 1000% will be a thing because with less people in there the bunny fates won't scale as high and even farming for 25k silver / 100k gold boxes becomes much easier, plus the items inside.

3) Run quick ventures on retainers constantly for high selling furniture / dyes.
Since the expansion is coming you want to be aware of retainer mechanics and make wise choices. Retainers can only match YOUR level so when you make a combat retainer you want it the class you are going to level up first otherwise it will be stuck at 70. Same for gatherer retainers if you want them to hit 80 you need to level your own gathering to 80.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Real game ads are always so weird. At least this one isn't too cringey. Also apparently Tom Holland actually plays the game, or so I read on Reddit.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Who else is on Leviathan? Add me at Something Wicked. Not much to do before expansion now - have just been finishing up leveling red mage and capping on everything I can cap on.

Last edited:

Molten Core Raider

Dunno if it's been mentioned to you before, but you can go to the Mogstation and change your account type to the "Entry level" account. This sub is $12.99 per month but restricts you to only one character per server, but who really needs more than one character in this game? You can then go and add another retainer to your account using the Retainer service and the cost will get bumped back to the $15 per month you're probably used to for mmos. When it all comes out in the wash, you're paying $15 but have an extra retainer to store crap on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I made a Crossworld LS for raiding in ShB (on Leviathan, whatever data center that is), called Waifu Pillow. Hit me up here or wherever and I can add interested parties.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I'll get a char moved to Leviathan later tonight. Was playing with a group of people I work with but they're super casual.