Fires of Heaven and our continued disappointment

Do you think it's eerie how most of our anticipated AAA MMORPG games were all cancelled?

• Total voters

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
True.
View attachment 470147

that's a pretty soft-brained take.
I'd argue that games of all kinds, but especially the text based muds I got started on as a kid, have helped to broaden my vocabulary, improve my typing speed, expand my imagination, introduce me to people I'm very close with 30 years later, not to mention the tangential experience you get from things emulate in games, like flying a plane etc.
Yeah… if not for the ancillary benefits of gaming I never would’ve delved into building PCs, understanding internet, typing fast, etc. pretty sure I would not have ended up in a highly lucrative IT career.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I can't help but shake my head when I see a father and son playing catch at the park. Faggots aren't even creating anything lol

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I will say having dipped back into a WOTLK classic and a brief month of Vanilla back when it came out...I had a hard time keeping glued to it. It felt hollow. I wonder if WoW hadn't really shit the bed so hard right before that, if I'd have been more interested. It was almost the like knowing the ending of something sucks so hard. And I also didn't really want to get invested with a WoW guild as much again. It felt almost...childish?

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It felt almost...childish?
....... says man posting on a video game forum.

I kid. Mostly. It is childish, but that's what is great about it. Outside of raiding guilds don't mean shit, so just play to have fun. If you have friends also playing, a guild has some use as a chat channel and item passing method.

Goonsquad Officer
I will say having dipped back into a WOTLK classic and a brief month of Vanilla back when it came out...I had a hard time keeping glued to it. It felt hollow. I wonder if WoW hadn't really shit the bed so hard right before that, if I'd have been more interested. It was almost the like knowing the ending of something sucks so hard. And I also didn't really want to get invested with a WoW guild as much again. It felt almost...childish?
The last season of game of thrones effect

• 3Like

Caeden

The last season of game of thrones effect
Yep. I’ve seen it hit my desire to watch the original Star Wars trilogy. It’s ironic that the prequels didn’t do it to it because you knew the story wasn’t shit at the end. But now? Blah.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Caeden

....... says man posting on a video game forum.

I kid. Mostly. It is childish, but that's what is great about it. Outside of raiding guilds don't mean shit, so just play to have fun. If you have friends also playing, a guild has some use as a chat channel and item passing method.
I am playing FFXIV. I’m really talking more about the guild drama and the over seriousness people take it. But I did show up consumed and playing well. Like loot drama. I didn’t get it. Who fucking cares?

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I am playing FFXIV. I’m really talking more about the guild drama and the over seriousness people take it. But I did show up consumed and playing well. Like loot drama. I didn’t get it. Who fucking cares?
Yeah, guilds in ffxiv are just as silly as the ones in WOW. Just glorified chat channels. EQ has some decent guild buffs and teleports at least.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Old MMO's just make me become apathetic towards logging in as soon as I have to put any effort into social obligations like dealing with a clique, or setting aside a raid time and then that raid be a no nonsense, must be quiet when the raid leader speaks, serious talk only. I just dont care to hear that shit anymore and it really gets under my skin for whatever reason.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Old MMO's just make me become apathetic towards logging in as soon as I have to put any effort into social obligations like dealing with a clique, or setting aside a raid time and then that raid be a no nonsense, must be quiet when the raid leader speaks, serious talk only. I just dont care to hear that shit anymore and it really gets under my skin for whatever reason.
You are making me nostalgic for the saturday morning van raids.

Caeden

It’s weird. When I was a hardcore WoW player, I didn’t take my professional life as serious, but boy did I raiding. Now it’s the opposite but I partly chock that up to being in a dead end job in one area of the tech sector that was fast dying (printer widgets). Got a more rewarding job and suddenly my interest waned.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Hm, most hobbies produce something that is the result of time spent. Games, whether MMO's or single player, produce nothing outside of the game.

You sound like my first girlfriend.

"What do you get from beating a game?" she moaned while simultaneously wanting me to either work more to appease her parents, or spend more time with her while she complained about me not working more so she could complain about me not being around enough if I did. Outstanding.

Unless youtube / blog posts / discussion forums aren't a thing, a lot can be produced out of experiencing a game, and even if you don't produce anything tangible, you had fun and a memory out of it.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

"What do you get from beating a game?" she moaned while simultaneously wanting me to either work more to appease her parents, or spend more time with her while she complained about me not working more so she could complain about me not being around enough if I did. Outstanding.

Unless youtube / blog posts / discussion forums aren't a thing, a lot can be produced out of experiencing a game, and even if you don't produce anything tangible, you had fun and a memory out of it.
Ask her what she gets from putting on makeup every day. Or watching tiktoks all day. Or in our age bracket watching tv all day.

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Video games are often fun and entertaining, you could even argue they relieve stress and offer some escapism. We could bullshit our way into various examples of positive dopamine rushes games provide but if we can the bullshit and are real about it they aren't productive in any meaningful way.

If you take the potential we have all probably wasted in MMORPGs alone the collective members of this board could probably have cured cancer, invented flying cars, and explored the stars, or at least created a VR version of EQ by now.

• 2Like

Jasker

brown Officer please /brown
Video games are often fun and entertaining, you could even argue they relieve stress and offer some escapism. We could bullshit our way into various examples of positive dopamine rushes games provide but if we can the bullshit and are real about it they aren't productive in any meaningful way.

If you take the potential we have all probably wasted in MMORPGs alone the collective members of this board could probably have cured cancer, invented flying cars, and explored the stars, or at least created a VR version of EQ by now.

this, but:

Productivity is overrated in a dystopian landscape, though. Look at our destructive and often diabolical world. We've been waiting for the tides to turn our entire life, right? Now we're old, and quite frankly we don't even want to 'get ours' anymore.

We'll be 'getting ours' and in the VR landscape when we're in nursing homes taking 20 minute breaks to use the restroom.

In addition, for us to have fallen prey to this type of unfolding, one where we could have done X but instead wasted our time with Y (the video game) - maybe we could chaulk it up to unluck, or our environment, or maybe our parents.

I got addicted to these games at 13 or so. I don't know if a 13 year old has the opportunity to fight against addictions easily by themselves.

You find yourself finally with the maturity to do so and you're either A) so deep into it that its nearly impossible B) So deep into it that alternates no longer exist or C) You're too old and 'inventing' is behind you.

That's exactly kind of why I made this thread.

A sort of 'yea brother here, we're fucked, we got the short end of shit - whether via parenting, influences, environment'. It's just how it happened for us, we got addicted to these dopamine drips and our lives went wasted. We shoot the shit for video games that dont even come out, it's like wasted squared, where not only our our lives ruined, but we dont even get ours in the context we're supposed to be getting ours (these shallow gaming drips).

I find myself in 'slightly' opportunity based events that could unfold, and I don't even take them. I'm so butthurt and upset about things. I don't even want mine if it were handed on a silver spoon. It's super cringe to be like ThAnKs DaD aNd MoM. But no, wait, how the fuck is my 12-13 year old ass going to face video game addiction when all my friends were rocking sol A everquest and showing me shit asking me to jump in with them? like 75% of my homies back in the day would literally ignore me because of their addiction to starcraft original and everquest vanilla then kunark, I just fell prey to the same shit they fell prey to.

Anyways, clown on me all you want for this post, I don't mind. I'm called terrible shit here daily heh.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
this, but:

Productivity is overrated in a dystopian landscape, though...
happiness is not overrated, though.
with less of it, there'd be an even more destructive and diabolical dystopian world than we already have.
so, as long as "gaming" (or whatever else) doesn't hurt anybody, I'm all for people doing what makes them happy as we grind ahead in our individual and collective existences.
anything can be taken to unhealthy extremes if not balanced, but this is all common sense.

it sounds like you've grown to resent your passion for gaming, and are generally mad at where you've found yourself in your life.
sorry for that, bro. try something new!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

There is lots of shit we do thats not productive. Why is it we need to be productive 24/7? Isnt it enough I gave like 35 fucking years of my working life 8+ hours a day to my jobs along the way since I was 15 making others rich? Not even considering the productive time I gave my family for the last 20 or so years so they could have the life they have. Why cant we have downtime where we are not productive and just veg out relax? Everyone needs downtime of some sort so they dont go fucking bat nutty. You wanna go and cure cancer in your downtime, so be it. The world is your oyster, bro.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
There is lots of shit we do thats not productive. Why is it we need to be productive 24/7? Isnt it enough I gave like 35 fucking years of my working life 8+ hours a day to my jobs along the way since I was 15 making others rich? Not even considering the productive time I gave my family for the last 20 or so years so they could have the life they have. Why cant we have downtime where we are not productive and just veg out relax? Everyone needs downtime of some sort so they dont go fucking bat nutty. You wanna go and cure cancer in your downtime, so be it. The world is your oyster, bro.
Correct. Downtime is an essential aspect of being able to be productive over an extended period of time. All work and no play etc.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
this, but:

Productivity is overrated in a dystopian landscape, though. Look at our destructive and often diabolical world. We've been waiting for the tides to turn our entire life, right? Now we're old, and quite frankly we don't even want to 'get ours' anymore.

We'll be 'getting ours' and in the VR landscape when we're in nursing homes taking 20 minute breaks to use the restroom.

It's VR, zero reason to stop playing just to piss/shit.

Fucking casual.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I just wanted to point out something along the lines of this thread.

There is no perfect MMORPG for everyone. There's rarely even a MMORPG that is a 9 out of 10 for most people for more than a short while (after the new wares off).

The thing is, we pick the MMO that we play based on how many boxes it checks off for our personal desires. We live with the other crap in our chosen MMO because there is no other that checks as many of the right boxes for us.

That's why you see salty people all over every single MMORPG in existence.

They latch on to the things they like about the game, and they hope and pray that the things they don't like will get changed... eventually... and, they usually do not.

I mean, let's be real here. Nobody looks at EverQuest and says, "Man that's a damn sexy looking game! Fuck yeah! WOO BABY!!!" No. No one. Ever. But, what they do say is something along the lines of, "I can't find any other game like EverQuest because if I could, I'd be out of here".

Developers know this... They know they own us as long as another game doesn't come along that is LIKE them enough while at the same time improving the things they got wrong. This is why people have bitched and complained about EverQuest for 25 fucking years and still play it... myself included /sigh.

A good example of this for me is FFXIV and Lotro.
FFXIV is a fucking nice looking game with some good story telling and great game play. But, it's heavily Asian themed, and I just don't have any interest in that theme in games. It does nothing for me. I prefer midevil DnD European style theming. So... I don't choose FFXIV as my main MMORPG.

Lotro is a horribly buggy lag fest game in comparison. Nobody should WANT to play the game with the amount of horrible server-side lag that has persisted in this game for many, many years. But.... It is one of the best story-based MMORPGs for Tolkien themed gaming. And... that does it for me. I play Lotro every single fucking day... even with my character playing in stop motion at times due to server lag.

Point is, you will never find that perfect MMORPG. It simply will never exist. All you can do is find the one that checks enough boxes for you to not want to put your fist through the wall every time you play it. Even if the developers spend more time making new bunny pets each year than they spend on making actual fucking new game content.... /sigh.