Fires of Heaven - The good, the bad, and the whatever else.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Iksar monk, Kagetora.

SZ was such a blast, far more fun than pve servers. Raiding vs other players trying to fd/selos train mobs on you or show up with 3 guilds was like playing on -hardmode. Telling other players where to kill Samdaman and his gang of retards on /follow was always fun.

Too bad showeq really ruined things down the line.
Early SZ definitely was a blast. I rolled from server opening to about 04. I ended up in Hate, but Ruin had a lot of great guys. For some reason the only name I can recall from Ruin is Jelis- or something like. Female DE chanter. Good times.

Badabidi_sl

shitlord
I thought Xanupox threatened to have Krurk's house bombed since he lived near MacDill AFB. Either way, Celestial Tomb was a good guild and a great entertainment for the server. Random gems like FOH crying over Pravus Dei farming Melalafen! and then constantly reporting them since they were beaten to the exploit, Xanupox training and wiping COE in TOV, Erny Ninja helping run the show in Fiends, etc etc.

EQ was for winners. WoW was for faggots. Die in a fire, for your gay ass name.
Take off your shades, bro. EQ was great... 15 years ago. The game's a heaping pile of shit by today's standards. Let it go.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh man that melafafen farming when his loot was fucked up was awesome. We got hate for years because everyone was jelly but pretended it offended their e-honour.

For a server dominated by one guild Veeshan had a pretty interesting and vast guild ecosystem.

Generol_sl

shitlord
Paladins with the divine aura hammer from Grieg's End, ramp bitches for the rest of their lives.

PS: He has an even rarer drop - the two halves of the recipe to seru bane. A dev leaked it because nobody would have ever found that shit otherwise.
Before my move last year I was going through some old things and came across my old computer where I found a good amount of old screenshots including one of you with 5 bee's around you (these bastards:http://everquest.allakhazam.com/scen...lane-bixie.jpg) on island 5 of the Plane of Sky. When I get home from my business trip I can link it here/send it to you if you want. In fact if memory serves I have about 50 old screenshots (some are just text between people - one of which including some issue that Lilya had with that Shadow Knight whose name escapes me at this moment). Anyhow big K, let me know if you want that shot of you about to get stung all up your ass and I will get it to you.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
SEQ and packetsniffers were still upheld as cheating by the vast majority. Yea, nowadays it's lul... wtf? But you gotta remember how a lot of us were coming out of PK muds where stuff like SEQ really -was- cheating. And it was rampant to the point of institutional among MUD admins. And our guilds were formed in great numbers by those who -detested- that aspect of muds. I know we had a hard and fast rule that we booted anyone we could confirm was using it.

Yes. It's insane. It was EQ. We had that rule and enforced it twice when a guy was just obviously stupid. Even so, I'm pretty sure we had at least 3-4 out of our 42 guys that were using it and were smart enough to be coy about it. And we really did mean it... don't cheat. If you can't do it honest, go join some other guild.

Stupid and insane... but that was EQ.
Keep in mind that you also needed a Linux system to use SEQ. And if I remember, it wasn't the same computer you played EQ on. It just acted as a packet sniffer.
Most high end guilds didn't cheat (outside of seeing boss stats with SEQ) because GM's would absolutely watch and make sure you didn't cheat. In Enlightened Dark (My guild from Tarew Marr), one of our officers was a programmer for the SEQ team. Well, he never confirmed that, but it was definitely an inner-guild rumor, and we know that he ran SEQ on raids because he would tell us how many HP bosses had or what not. I know that Ashran, the SEQ creator, was a Necro on Tarew Marr, but he was never in guild.

Anyway, aside from having SEQ to know various info about a boss, there was no "cheating" per say. I do remember when Lost Dungeons fist came out, there was a cheat that allowed the in-game map to work similar to SEQ in that it would display the location of every mob currently spawned in the various dungeons, and would show them move and stuff. It was really neat. I don't remember if SOE fixed that, or if someone (not in our guild) got banned for doing it, so I think that I got scared and removed that ability from my client.

EDIT: Scratch that, I do remember that EQ had a few dupe bugs in the day. Somehow there was an invisible banker in Befallen that would dupe shit for people. Someone in my guild found out about that one. Then in Luclin, there was another dupe bug using stackable items. If an item was stackable, selling a single item to a vendor would allow you to purchase a full stack back from them. Yes, it cost a lot (vendor prices were always high), but using that method helped me go from like 50 tailoring all the way up to 225ish. Then I got the remaining 25 points making those robes for people to use on the earring quest.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Keep in mind that you also needed a Linux system to use SEQ. And if I remember, it wasn't the same computer you played EQ on. It just acted as a packet sniffer.
Most high end guilds didn't cheat (outside of seeing boss stats with SEQ) because GM's would absolutely watch and make sure you didn't cheat. In Enlightened Dark (My guild from Tarew Marr), one of our officers was a programmer for the SEQ team. Well, he never confirmed that, but it was definitely an inner-guild rumor, and we know that he ran SEQ on raids because he would tell us how many HP bosses had or what not. I know that Ashran, the SEQ creator, was a Necro on Tarew Marr, but he was never in guild.

Anyway, aside from having SEQ to know various info about a boss, there was no "cheating" per say. I do remember when Lost Dungeons fist came out, there was a cheat that allowed the in-game map to work similar to SEQ in that it would display the location of every mob currently spawned in the various dungeons, and would show them move and stuff. It was really neat. I don't remember if SOE fixed that, or if someone (not in our guild) got banned for doing it, so I think that I got scared and removed that ability from my client.

EDIT: Scratch that, I do remember that EQ had a few dupe bugs in the day. Somehow there was an invisible banker in Befallen that would dupe shit for people. Someone in my guild found out about that one. Then in Luclin, there was another dupe bug using stackable items. If an item was stackable, selling a single item to a vendor would allow you to purchase a full stack back from them. Yes, it cost a lot (vendor prices were always high), but using that method helped me go from like 50 tailoring all the way up to 225ish. Then I got the remaining 25 points making those robes for people to use on the earring quest.
Also in Luclin there was a way to use vendors to buy/sell diamonds for a profit. I'm not positive on how it worked though.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I didn't know that method. Wish I did though.. I went through easily 120k plat working on my tailoring then a bit on smithing with the dupe trick.

Fortunately, I had around 750k when I started (Thanks BDS! Tarew Marr's mana burn team. Burn Down Squad)

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
My real life buddy was Ultimo in ED on Tarew Marr--Troll SK. Dude played a ton of EQ, but I think being in that guild ruined his life. Kid became a shut-in for the rest of his life.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
To be honest, I don't know the name Ultimo at all. ED only had a couple of SK's. Zuldane, Arbaal and Brael are the first 3 names that pop into my head. Keep in mind that I didn't join ED until Kunark, though. But then I stayed until the end of PoP before doing a short leave of the game, coming back a little for Lost Dungeons before leaving for good. The only "U" name I really remember is Ulthane, the cleric.

Generol_sl

shitlord
Well, I do like pictures of myself taking it in the ass, so go ahead and post it here.
No problem. We really should make a new thread where all the originals can come together and post whatever screenshots they may have so we have a record. Someone out there has to have copies of all the old updates from the original site from when we downed Vox, Vindicator, Sleeper, etc.

Ryoz

<Donor>
To be honest, I don't know the name Ultimo at all. ED only had a couple of SK's. Zuldane, Arbaal and Brael are the first 3 names that pop into my head. Keep in mind that I didn't join ED until Kunark, though. But then I stayed until the end of PoP before doing a short leave of the game, coming back a little for Lost Dungeons before leaving for good. The only "U" name I really remember is Ulthane, the cleric.
Brael... There's a name I haven't heard in ages. He was in the serverwide deathknight channel and he also ran the primary sk forum as well.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I talk to him on AIM almost every day. He's at a programming school in Ohio now and he actually got a summer internship for next year working at SOE on one of their various projects.