First EverQuest, 3 screenshots

Reht

Molten Core Raider
That is the original UI in fullscreen mode. I think F10 put it in that mode.
No it's not, that's the UI that replaced the original when they launched SoL (or was it patched in Velious? i forget, but it's not the original one) and gave players the ability to mod UIs.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
No it's not, that's the UI that replaced the original when they launched SoL and gave players the ability to mod UIs.
No, it's not. That is not the moveable UI. You could not move or customize any of those windows. This is the fullscreen version of the original UI.

eq2000-jpg.149709

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
No, it's not. That is not the moveable UI. You could not move or customize any of those windows. This is the fullscreen version of the original UI.

eq2000-jpg.149709

You are correct sir.

However, in Velious they patched that UI to add moveable windows to it

Then a lil after luclin launched, they gave us the moddable UI

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You are correct sir.

However, in Velious they patched that UI to add moveable windows to it

Then a lil after luclin launched, they gave us the moddable UI
Word. I think once you could move them, they had a little square in the corner of each element.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Never finished. It was buggy as hell too. We looked at the original PoM several times over the years, hoping to finish the original version, but we never really had the time.

Didn't stop Ester from saying "WORKING AS INTENDED" Though. I hated that idiot with a vengeance and called out unfinished (But sold) content on a continual basis back in the day. Hell, Smedley even lost a bet which resulted in a free all access pass for life. It was a good bet.

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
Ahh dang Phoenix Crusaders was my first raiding guild. Used to wake up at 2am to start raids with those euros.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I've got all my old 99 screenshots on a Zipdisk. No idea why or where my Zipdrive went or if I can buy them. I keep meaning to look into it, but I don't.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've got all my old 99 screenshots on a Zipdisk. No idea why or where my Zipdrive went or if I can buy them. I keep meaning to look into it, but I don't.

If you are that bothered by it, try Ebay.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I cant imagine the staff talking to him "Furor, bro...sorry you didnt figure it out brah... you don't just have 1/3 your raid do this that and the other while the other 2/3 jack it bro...we were not telling you anything so you could figure it out on your own...but...you split for raid and you progress through those things at the same time and then converge after."

"Oh, sorrys"

Except the locks on all of the portals would bug and not let anyone else in until the whole thing failed. As in you'd have a group or two inside and nobody else could enter, anywhere.

This after Corinav, which a single group could poof for a week. And uh the air one, which didn't do shit the first time we fought it. And the months? it took to make the Rathe work. (none of the mechanics that made it winnable were there like reduced damage as they lost HP and some being Cc- able and so on.)

Oh, and there was no message or anything telling you when your slows were actually hasting things.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is why I never had any desire to be on the bleeding edge of raiding. You guys got all the glory but holy shit! The crap you guys had to deal with from broken mechanics, bugged content, horrific imbalances...smh.

EQ was demanding enough when shit worked as intended. I would not have been able to handle dealing with that shit on top of it. Much respect for you masochists.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This is why I never had any desire to be on the bleeding edge of raiding. You guys got all the glory but holy shit! The crap you guys had to deal with from broken mechanics, bugged content, horrific imbalances...smh.

EQ was demanding enough when shit worked as intended. I would not have been able to handle dealing with that shit on top of it. Much respect for you masochists.
we lost literally 70% of our guild, farming commander keys in ssra. i and some of the others were putting in 12-18 hour days in there just trying to take up the slack from guildies "taking a break" from the game. after several weeks of that, when we finally got everyone keyed up and were ready for emperor ssra, those break takers suddenly decided to come back. 15 years later i can be honest and say it left me incredibly bitter towards those people and the others felt the same way. it caused a rift in the guild and we ended up having a basic "core" guild inside the main guild and when we started clearing emp ssra and VT on regular we distributed loot accordingly to those who helped key the guild over the others who fucked off. it caused me to become the #1 geared shaman on magelo for that summer til PoP came out.

when they broke Earth B for several months to slow top guilds down. we all started quitting. WoW had its beta and Biny was handing out invites on IRC. basically EQ fucked themselves in the long run. if we had been working Earth B and Time, WoW's launch might not have been as huge as it was and more people would be playing EQ a while longer.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
GoD and the lead in to OoW did far more damage to the overall EQ population with WoW release only a couple of months later. So many people that quit and didn't even buy the expansion in anticipation of the switch.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
GoD and the lead in to OoW did far more damage to the overall EQ population with WoW release only a couple of months later. So many people that quit and didn't even buy the expansion in anticipation of the switch.

100x this. Was my reason for bailing. I hated GoD and OoW. Got zero satisfaction out of them. Then the wow beta hit and I was sold and instantly dropped my 2 EQ chars that i played consistently since launch.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I agree... GoD and OoW was the nail in the coffin for me but I had already accepted the time was coming. We didn't quite hit the PoP wall as early as you guys did but we were not too far behind. It was very frustrating and we were reading every post and trying to back FoH and other guilds sharing the same frustrations. Honestly, looking back, I think Vex Thal (including getting keyed) and Ssra/Seru really made my skin pretty thin. I was exhausted after Luclin and really not much to show for it. PoP, as a raiding cleric, sent me over the edge. I spent a lot of nights rezzing while people adjusted strategies or vented their complaints while I had to do my job. It just increased my frustration because as a cleric, when you spent your nights rezzing wipe after wipe, you feel like a failure. Team that with all the negativity in guild chat, GoD and OoW didn't have a chance and it was awful regardless.

I was one of the nuts that went with EQ2 but honestly have no regrets as EQ2 has some really great times and it was underrated during the early PvP days but I played WoW too through most expansions. It's a shame that EQ didn't take a different path. They could have followed a path that Runescape took and continued building on their game and then rebuilding it. EQ grew too far out from itself. The more you pulled away from familiar lands, the less appeal it had, and then they started just doing a lot of ignorant things by the reins of Ponytail and others (who pretty well killed EQ2 as well) but this is all a different topic we throw around every so often.

I hate that PoP was so frustrating as it's my favorite expansion. I loved the lore, the progression, and the raids. It just really sucked at the time but really looking forward to it on this server. I will never, ever look forward to Vex Thal no matter what though... :p

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I agree... GoD and OoW was the nail in the coffin for me but I had already accepted the time was coming. We didn't quite hit the PoP wall as early as you guys did but we were not too far behind. It was very frustrating and we were reading every post and trying to back FoH and other guilds sharing the same frustrations. Honestly, looking back, I think Vex Thal (including getting keyed) and Ssra/Seru really made my skin pretty thin. I was exhausted after Luclin and really not much to show for it. PoP, as a raiding cleric, sent me over the edge. I spent a lot of nights rezzing while people adjusted strategies or vented their complaints while I had to do my job. It just increased my frustration because as a cleric, when you spent your nights rezzing wipe after wipe, you feel like a failure. Team that with all the negativity in guild chat, GoD and OoW didn't have a chance and it was awful regardless.

I was one of the nuts that went with EQ2 but honestly have no regrets as EQ2 has some really great times and it was underrated during the early PvP days but I played WoW too through most expansions. It's a shame that EQ didn't take a different path. They could have followed a path that Runescape took and continued building on their game and then rebuilding it. EQ grew too far out from itself. The more you pulled away from familiar lands, the less appeal it had, and then they started just doing a lot of ignorant things by the reins of Ponytail and others (who pretty well killed EQ2 as well) but this is all a different topic we throw around every so often.

I hate that PoP was so frustrating as it's my favorite expansion. I loved the lore, the progression, and the raids. It just really sucked at the time but really looking forward to it on this server. I will never, ever look forward to Vex Thal no matter what though... :p
vex thal keys were a damned breeze compared to being cooped up in one corner in one room of one zone 12+ hours a day for several weeks. banging our heads against the wall of emp ssra was like a vacation in comparison. Vex Thal was wonderful payoff. when we knocked down Emp Ssra, we kept him on lockdown and it allowed us to have VT to ourselves for the entire summer. i think it was late september early october when we decided to move on.

Cybsled

All the tedious keyquests in EQ1 were fucking shit, especially since they usually gave you access to tedious raids with 1000/1 trash:boss ratio.

• 1Solidarity

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The issue with VT keys were the fact the shards dropped in regular open access zones. Forget the actual raiding guilds competing, you occasionally had people camping shards that were 4th tier or lower guilds on the server and wouldn't realistically down Emp until the next xpac. Scrubs basically monopolizing shard camps that had no reason whatsoever to be there.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Am I correct in remembering that early Vex That didn't have a completed loot table as well? Seems like remember someone losing it over that as well.