First World Problems

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Once you turn it on there's not a simple disable - you have to go through phone support and alot of legwork with them at that to remove it.
That must have changed recently, I remember turning it off a year or two ago when I was too annoyed by entering the code every day for SC2 and simply disabled it on the bnet hp.

If they're going through such strong security measures for this, are bnet passwords at least case sensitive now?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Someone brought Duck's donuts to work and I give up, I'm going to become a fat person now. Nothing but donuts from now on.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
giphy.gif

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
My company cooks us free steaks every month. This month, a vendor is paying for it because it's christmas, and they always get shitty steaks. Also, the other 10 meals the vendors cater around thanksgiving and christmas are generally varying degrees of shitty too.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Just to clarify how first world this problem is, by 'shitty steaks', I mean steaks with bones in them. Usually either bone in ribeye, or T-bones. I hate bones in my steaks, I don't live in fucking cuba where I should have to gnaw at a bone to get meat. Plus, the meat next to the bone never gets cooked well enough.

Siliconemelons

Just to clarify how first world this problem is, by 'shitty steaks', I mean steaks with bones in them. Usually either bone in ribeye, or T-bones. I hate bones in my steaks, I don't live in fucking cuba where I should have to gnaw at a bone to get meat. Plus, the meat next to the bone never gets cooked well enough.
there are not enough facepalm.gif's on the internet for this...

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you want a premium steak without bone, like a Filet Mignon?

Well, your T-Bone has that cut in it already. It's the smaller piece of meat on one side of the T-bone. The larger piece of meat on the other side is a strip steak. Filet + (NY) Strip + bone = T-Bone. Remove the bone and you are left with Filet and a NY Strip.

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
You obviously missed the part where I laid out why I hate bone in steaks. It had nothing to do with the quality of the meat. But hey, I'm glad you got a chance to display your little nugget of knowledge that everyone else already knows and nobody asked about.

Emos

Trakanon Raider
My wife bought 2 pounds of thinly sliced deli cheese at Whole Foods for $22 or some crap like that. There isn't any wax paper in-between the slices

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bone-in is better for quality steaks anyhow, just butcher it properly once it's done cooking if you care about not bringing it to the table with the bone.

I don't think there's a foodie out there that prefers boneless to bone-in for end quality.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Bone-in is better for quality steaks anyhow, just butcher it properly once it's done cooking if you care about not bringing it to the table with the bone.

I don't think there's a foodie out there that prefers boneless to bone-in for end quality.
LOL I'd like to see the logic behind a bone being left in a little longer somehow equals higher quality.

Willing to ignore completely how it fucks up even cooking to hear this. You're saying the existence of the bone makes the quality of the meat itself better. Maybe you just think tendons (and in some cases ligaments) are tasty.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
LOL I'd like to see the logic behind a bone being left in a little longer somehow equals higher quality.

Willing to ignore completely how it fucks up even cooking to hear this. You're saying the existence of the bone makes the quality of the meat itself better. Maybe you just think tendons (and in some cases ligaments) are tasty.
Ok

Mythbusting: Does The Bone Make The Meat Better?

This debunks parts of the theory and has parts that talks about why it's better.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

No tendons in steaks. Only pieces where stuff like tendons are even a factor are rarely offered boneless (chicken wings/legs) - if there's not a joint involved there's no tendons or ligaments. You do understand basic anatomy, right?

And the biggest benefit is the uneven cooking to a foodie. Ideal status for a steak to most foodies is rare to medium rare, but yet still having a good full mailliard reaction on the outside with a good sear. The bone helps keep the thermal impact of that good sear to a minimum to have a tasty outer portion while not having a well done desert on the center of the meat. (If you like well done centers or minimal sear on the outside [aka a heathen in my book] - bones would likely be bad news though)

Additionally as the article covers, if you have a shitty butcher, they'll actually cut poorly when deboning which gives a point to lose moisture during the cook as soon as the cell walls start to fail from the heat. (Similar to why you should use tongs instead of a poker to flip the meat as you're cooking it - the punctures can loose moisture)

Don't get me wrong, boneless isn't awful - I factor in the price per pound with the weight of the bone when I'm buying - so often I'll get boneless ribeyes for example because saving $0.50/lb doesn't make sense for the quality difference (and since ribeyes are so marbled, honestly I don't really note a difference personally in bone-in results) but for like T-Bones the price advantage is ridiculous on top of the benefits the bone allows.

[Not to mention for "day two" options - bones also can be used for a stock after the fact - beef stock is quite versatile and has plenty of applications - although the ideal beef bones for stock are shank IMO, but steak cut ones are still usable, just not as good]

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Remove your teeth

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Ok

Mythbusting: Does The Bone Make The Meat Better?

This debunks parts of the theory and has parts that talks about why it's better.
You realize this article backed up everything I said, it just tried to use positive words to make that disgusting connective tissue sound good. Right?

No tendons in steaks. Only pieces where stuff like tendons are even a factor are rarely offered boneless (chicken wings/legs) - if there's not a joint involved there's no tendons or ligaments. You do understand basic anatomy, right?

I factor in the price per pound with the weight of the bone when I'm buying - so often I'll get boneless ribeyes for example because saving $0.50/lb doesn't make sense for the quality difference (and since ribeyes are so marbled, honestly I don't really note a difference personally in bone-in results) but for like T-Bones the price advantage is ridiculous on top of the benefits the bone allows.

[Not to mention for "day two" options - bones also can be used for a stock after the fact - beef stock is quite versatile and has plenty of applications - although the ideal beef bones for stock are shank IMO, but steak cut ones are still usable, just not as good]
In my basic anatomy class, they taught that tendons are what connects bones to muscle. Joints would have ligaments. What else would you call the connective tissue they were talking about?

The price per pound thing also bugs me, but in the this case it's free so a non-factor. But, by the same token, it makes the steak look bigger than it really is. So I can gig it on those grounds too.

Only worthwhile day 2 option for these bones is for the dogs. I prefer shank for my stocks too. I've never tried to make a stock with an already cooked bone. It doesn't seem like it would work as well.