FOH Inaugural MtG Arena Tournament -3/11- Winner: Kiroy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'll have a hard time getting to my match before Monday. Maybe even Tuesday since I've got chemo Monday morning.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
You're dropping? My tiebreakers are gonna be bad :( Both my wins have dropped now, heh. Maybe if a_skeleton_02 keeps winning it'll even out.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
You're dropping? My tiebreakers are gonna be bad :( Both my wins have dropped now, heh. Maybe if a_skeleton_02 keeps winning it'll even out.

2 losses means no chance for top 4, so you gotta drop to play the next satellite event ;)

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Ah shit, think I was doing math for a top 8 in my head. Didn't realize how small the margin was for the cut. It's possible someone at 3-1 may not even make it, depending on if paired down players win their matches or not.

Sterling

El Presidente
Ah shit, think I was doing math for a top 8 in my head. Didn't realize how small the margin was for the cut. It's possible someone at 3-1 may not even make it, depending on if paired down players win their matches or not.
yeah if the maximum number of people go 3-1 with 14 players that's 4 3-1s with 1 person at 4-0, so yeah.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
This tournament has actually kickstarted me to start playing paper magic again. With Delver Lens I feel like playing in Japan would be ok, and I dug my old cards out of storage so I should have plenty of trade fodder.

Just need to pick a place to play now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
This tournament has actually kickstarted me to start playing paper magic again. With Delver Lens I feel like playing in Japan would be ok, and I dug my old cards out of storage so I should have plenty of trade fodder.

Just need to pick a place to play now.

I'm glad it inspired you, and uh.. you wanna trade me Japanese singles for my American ones?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm glad it inspired you, and uh.. you wanna trade me Japanese singles for my American ones?

sure I don't mind, but at this point I don't really plan to buy packs, just the singles I need for decks.

Also keep in mind if you use Japanese cards in your deck you're required by the rules to have an English copy (outside of the deck) to show your opponent if they ask.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
sure I don't mind, but at this point I don't really plan to buy packs, just the singles I need for decks.

Also keep in mind if you use Japanese cards in your deck you're required by the rules to have an English copy (outside of the deck) to show your opponent if they ask.

You can show them a translated version by calling a judge and have him show them via your phone.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Must be a new rule, when I was judging we didn't have that option, but this was in 2004 and not like smartphones were common back then.

Yup, in fact you could alter the card in such a way as it's unrecognizable as long as the Name and Mana cost are visable.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
All the stores are either sold out of curious obsessions, or have them at $7 each.

Just picked up a playset of 4 for $8 on a trading website.

I could get rich this way if money was a priority.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Turns out you are not allowed to trade at RL shops in Japan. How interesting.

I've noticed trading has kinda died off in the US as well, back in my day you had multiple binders (junk and good stuff) and you could go to a FNM or tournament and trade with people to complete decks.

Now everyone knows the exact price down to the penny of a card and won't take even a minor loss even if it means getting a card they need for a deck.

Combined with the fact that rares are extra worthless now and most of them are .50 and precon products being more powerful you can't even offload bad cards to new players anymore.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I haven't been in a card shop in a year or two, but it seemed to be going that way even then. Most of the people who would even trade, only wanted to do it if they came out 'ahead' in value. It was so annoying, especially when the same people would go trade cards into the store for like 60% in store credit to buy a soda or snacks.

I was running an online store selling cards, so I had some people who would trade with me at a loss, because I had everything and they got a better deal then through a store. But still, it was much tougher than it was like 5-10 years ago. Heck, the best way I ever made money trading was offering $0.15 per 'bulk rare' in trade, especially at big tournaments, and would say 'you pick the rares out, so you know I'm not trying to screw you'. People wouldn't bother pulling out their phones to check every single rare (they trust themselves, right? :) ) and they'd inevitably pull out tons of $1-10 stuff because it'd been in their binder forever. Really though, if you don't have the means to move that card at $3, it's not actually 'worth' $3 to you, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.