Folger's Extravagant Swatch Thread

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
(without taking human hearing into consideration) "volume" literally refers to the volume of air being displaced by a sound which is more or less proportional to the displacement of a speaker cone (or surface) which is proportional to the peak-to-peak voltage being applied to the electromagnetic coil in the speaker.

phew.

With that said "volume" works by taking an input signal (your music/etc) and mapping it to a range of voltages.

E.g. if -1 .. 1 volts is "100% volume" then for your music the lowest it could move the coil is -1 volts and the highest would be 1 volt (this pushes/pulls the cone of the speaker which creates pressure waves which is what sound is).

At say "50%" the same input signal is mapped to -0.5 volts to 0.5 volts. Meaning the cone travels less distance and displaces less volume of air as a result. In reality the mapping of volume "numbers" you see on screen and voltage ranges is not linear but typically logarithmic.

As for perceived volume ... The tricky part though is what you "hear" (your brain perceives) and is happening are not the same thing. Our ears are actually not equally sensitive to all frequencies of sound (distance between peaks in the waves of air). Low frequencies for instance require a lot more energy to be perceived as louder. Whereas frequencies in say the human voice range (200-4000Hz) need less changes in volume to be perceived as being louder/quieter.

As a side note this is how audio compression works. If you're less sensitive to say sounds in the sub-200Hz range then you don't need as much precision when you encode them. Additionally some frequencies can "mask" others. E.g. a loud 2kHz tone could make you far less able to perceive changes in a parallel 750Hz tone. Additionally our hearing isn't "real time". Some loud tones can mask other frequencies that come before and after them (as in a loud tone could actually mask a quieter tone that happened just before it).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Trumpeter for chloroquine approved by fda for treatment of Chinese virus. Pretty sure I have some laying around.. time to check if it's out of date.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
They are bred to be that way. If you look at wild cows or buffalo they do not have straight backs but the loin and rib (top of back near haunches) is the most valuable steak. So farmers breed cattle to have long, wide, straight backs. It is easier to cut and process and it produces more meat. Look at the limousine cattle breed compared to the holstein. The first is a special breed of beef cow bred to have long backs. The second is a dairy cow bred to be tall for easy access to udders. Artificial selection drives the selection of certain traits.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Everyone. Relax. We're all gonna be OK

If one of my friends had gotten the kung flu when I was a kid, my parents would have sent me to their house for a sleepover.

The only way we're not going to be OK if if this over-reaction kills the economy. Hopefully it will only make it hibernate.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
If one of my friends had gotten the kung flu when I was a kid, my parents would have sent me to their house for a sleepover.

The only way we're not going to be OK if if this over-reaction kills the economy. Hopefully it will only make it hibernate.
People will have to adapt to a new way of life for the time being. Weighing risk. Hopefully this will come within the next few weeks as people go crazy staying inside all day.

I don't have answers for any of this. I acknowledge the grave reality of the importance of the economy and hope we can walk the line of showing compassion to those who are most at risk while still acknowledging the reality of the economy.

I mean on a positive note maybe this will help shift workplace env to be more open on working remote.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
It's not studied very well but the general consensus is inflammation. The body responds to injury (micro-tearing of muscle fibers) by sending white blood cells, enzymes, and other helpful devices to the injured area to clean house and repair the damage.

However some of these helpful devices will have side effects which includes increased pain sensitivity in the area being repaired. This is why the muscle feels fine if its stationary, but hurts as soon as you move/contract it.

A similar and maybe more relate-able condition is getting a sunburn. You also don't feel the worst of that until 24 hours later, as the inflammation and repair process takes time to get into gear.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the tips Void Void . Will give that a shot. Here's a pic. He does this thing with his tongue. Kinda funny. He's gotten used to my place pretty well now. He's super curious and always wants you to pet him. He just seems to ignore toys and follow me around wanting me to pet him. Have another batch of toys coming.. hopefully he doesn't just ignore them.
Cute cat! He looks a lot like my cat, Fabio. I named him Fabio because he's pretty, he's got long hair, and he's dumb as fuck. Literally scares himself if his tail makes a noise, let alone any other noises.

According to the shelter, Fabio came from a home that had an older cat and a dog that terrorized him so they gave him up. He desperately wanted attention in the pound, but when I brought him home he stayed hidden for well over a week (I have another cat is likely why), but once he decided that things are cool, he follows me literally everywhere. That's what you're experiencing most likely, that once they feel comfortable with you, they want to be near you all the time. It might get a little better with time, but you're basically their mother and food provider all in one, so they get possessive of you and don't want you to leave them. My older cat goes and rubs her face all over my shoes EVERY morning when I am getting dressed for work, and it is probably to put her scent all over them while I'm out and (in her mind) potentially being approached by other cats. Sitting down and watching TV involves the girl cat laying in my lap, which has been her spot for 14 years now, and since he has nowhere else to go, Fabio stands on the arm of the chair and sort of flops across my chest. Fucked up a few of my shirts with his claws, but what can you do?

What did you name him? If you mentioned it, I missed it. Enjoy him, cats are awesome!

• 1Like

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
Our skin has three major layers, and those three layers are in turn divided into even more layers. The outermost layer is called epidermis, which roughly translates to "top layer skin".

New skin cells are formed in the bottom of the epidermis. The newly formed cells push older cells out towards the top layer. As the cells are pushed towards the surface, their chemical structure changes as they produce a protein called keratin. As the amount of keratin accumulates it forms what can be described as a web or mesh of protein, which hardens the cell. During this process, the cell begins to die.

By the time the cell reaches the outermost layer of our skin, it has completely hardened and died off. The lipid bi-layer is gone by now, and the keratin mesh isn't affected by soap.

Basically, your skin cells are evolutionary designed to work as a piece of armor, only on a much smaller scale.)

this is fascinating. I would very much like to hear (read) more of what you have to say in this topic. 🍎

• 1Faggotry

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Cute cat! He looks a lot like my cat, Fabio. I named him Fabio because he's pretty, he's got long hair, and he's dumb as fuck. Literally scares himself if his tail makes a noise, let alone any other noises.

According to the shelter, Fabio came from a home that had an older cat and a dog that terrorized him so they gave him up. He desperately wanted attention in the pound, but when I brought him home he stayed hidden for well over a week (I have another cat is likely why), but once he decided that things are cool, he follows me literally everywhere. That's what you're experiencing most likely, that once they feel comfortable with you, they want to be near you all the time. It might get a little better with time, but you're basically their mother and food provider all in one, so they get possessive of you and don't want you to leave them. My older cat goes and rubs her face all over my shoes EVERY morning when I am getting dressed for work, and it is probably to put her scent all over them while I'm out and (in her mind) potentially being approached by other cats. Sitting down and watching TV involves the girl cat laying in my lap, which has been her spot for 14 years now, and since he has nowhere else to go, Fabio stands on the arm of the chair and sort of flops across my chest. Fucked up a few of my shirts with his claws, but what can you do?

What did you name him? If you mentioned it, I missed it. Enjoy him, cats are awesome!
Man I love cats. Growing up we always had bare minimum 3 at any given time. Haven't had a cat since I moved out many years ago. Loving the company.

His name currently is "Meow"... He was at the rescue for a year since he was a kitten and that's what he's been called since. Seems like a dumb name, I usually give pets human names.

Sooo if you or iannis iannis have any ideas on names lemme know. He's not fat enough to name tuco so that's a no go.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Amod Amod It's not fair that in these difficult times King Foler is restricted to the shaw. I demand immediate release.
All the jails are doing it now, it's trendy as hell! Plus I'm in here to the equivalent of a drugs related offense.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm not the best with cat names. Most of my cats are called different things at different points in their lives.

• 1WTF

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Altho I do like my thread. It's a safe place. I don't even posts in other threads in RR anymore. This thread is my home. I've built it from scratch with the aids of my fellow forum members which I greatly appreciate.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
NVM, saw your follow-up post

You'd socialize with her.

nawal_ben_hamou.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I'm not the best with cat names. Most of my cats are called different things at different points in their lives.
May call him Burt or Ernie. Always had a cat named ernier growing up. My mom still has one same may be a naming conflict there. Two Ernie's in the family.

Burt, Ernie, Dennis, turbo... Still thinking

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Altho I do like my thread. It's a safe place. I don't even posts in other threads in RR anymore. This thread is my home. I've built it from scratch with the aids of my fellow forum members which I greatly appreciate.

I'm in lockdown.

I know how you feel bro.