Fondest Memory of MMOs

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
I have many, but one of the fondest was in EQ. My roommates and I were totally addicted. One day I was all on my own at OOT camping the Cyclops for the j-boots ring. Along comes a high level wizard. I told him it was camped and he said it was fine, he'd help me. After some time, I find out he had accidentally combined his boots in a sewing kit and lost them, and just wanted the camp after me. I finally got the drop late at night and his guild sent out a call that Nagafen was up and they were going to go kill and invited me along. OMG i was so excited. I was probably level 47 or less and had no chance of seeing that raid so I said i'd go. I started yelling for my roommates and told them what I was going to. They were all crapping their pants excited and my best friend popped some popcorn, sat in a chair beside me and watched the whole raid. It was awesome. I think I got the orb of tishan since no one needed it.

I also remember going with my guild to PoFear and it took forever. Eventually, the night turned south on a bad pull and we wiped and couldn't rebreak in to rez. I was dead at 2am and had to be up by 6. I couldn't sleep. All i could think was that my corpse was gone for good and i'd have to start over. Game over man, game over. I decided to log back in about 5am to see if anything was still going on and shortly got a tell from an unknown person for a rez. Turns out, one of the top guilds on the server came to the rescue with a minimal crew and got us up and going. I had the best 30 minutes of sleep ever. The guild was Sanctuary on 7th hammer server. They disbanded later and some of the remaining crew formed a new guild, and I eventually joined that guild after they pulled our good members and we became the top guild for a long time. The circle was complete.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I still remember sneaking in to the living room to get on the PC and play EQ really really late at night during elementary school. My younger brother would always sneak in with me and watch me play. I remember a specific night where I made the bad decision to run through Kithicor at night to get to Freeport (at this point I didn't realize hugging the wall was the way to go). Long story short I was killed by Ghouls, my little brother made an obvious comment about me dying and I took that as an opportunity to "accidentally" elbow him in the face while he was leaning over my shoulder. His brotherly intuition knew I did it on purpose so he starts screaming his ass off, my parents come down stairs and kick our asses, and I thought that was the end of my character (luckily my dad is fucking cool & ended up getting my corpse back that next day on his druid).

Fuck I have to get off this thread. All these feelings. Must stay away from P99.

Ps. Being blinded the first time, freaked me the fuck out.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I was a warrior of the North. Proud, strong, stupid. It was my first time leaving the frozen wastes and traveling to the city of Qeynos. I spent all of one afternoon exploring that town before I noticed a gathering of people with colorful bubbles exploding out from their bodies. I asked what was going on. Next thing I know I was receiving an invitation to their party. I accepted and before I can utter another word... LOADING PLEASE WAIT...

I had been transported to a dark forest filled with hornets and little skinny women. I had no idea where I was or where I should go. So I asked for some help. This kind wood elf showed me where the shops were, where I could get food, helped me get bound and lead me to the orc stronghold his people were trying to dominate. I spent many days there and made many friends before I decided it was time to move on.

I came to realize later that it was a druid portal spell that had been the reason for my unexpected journey. I was somewhat leery of taking another portal back. Something about all that magic made me want to vomit. So I decided to walk home. It took a long time and many adventures before I ever walked the frozen canyons of my homeland again.

During one such adventure I was exploring a place called the Gorge of King Xorbb. I was successfully slaying these giant eyed monstrosities by myself, even though I was often ensnared by their hypnotic gaze. When suddenly I see some old friends from my days of fighting alongside the elves. They asked if they could aid me in my task. I said it might not be safe for them to remain here as I sometimes lose all control. They seemed confused by my answer; But not as confused as when my eyes went red with rage. And certainly not as confused or shocked as when I turned and buried my ax into their diminutive skulls. Their pitiful screams still haunt me. Pleading with me, asking why would I do something so heinous. They were obviously not versed in the devious ways of the beholders. Each time they came back, wishing to collect their belongings, the same horrific tragedy would unfold.

And so they reported me to a GM for griefing... Even after the GM/guide tried explaining to them what had happened and that I was not some murderous fiend, just the perfect tool, they would not speak to me. And so, because of the tricks and betrayals that befell me in that cursed place, I lost two companions forever. Of course I was not overly distraught, I mean I was laughing like a mad man every time they died, but still...

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
best mmo memory? hard one. first avatar of war kill server wide with legacy of steel & shock of swords tag team. it was awesome(first two times using charmed giants-soe made all giants untamable) then just before umm pop? doing it with player tanks-missed server wide first that way by like 30 minutes.

not sure best WOW moment, there are lots of them. maybe finding a mmo that my wife LIKED to play -we still play together as a team.

xelene_sl

shitlord
We were killing Emperor Sssrrsssrrrraaa and we had an assling ranger thast was plinking away whilst standing in some puddle.

The yells of "Ranger Drown" still have me in tears.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
I have many, but one of the fondest was in EQ. My roommates and I were totally addicted. One day I was all on my own at OOT camping the Cyclops for the j-boots ring. Along comes a high level wizard. I told him it was camped and he said it was fine, he'd help me. After some time, I find out he had accidentally combined his boots in a sewing kit and lost them, and just wanted the camp after me. I finally got the drop late at night and his guild sent out a call that Nagafen was up and they were going to go kill and invited me along. OMG i was so excited. I was probably level 47 or less and had no chance of seeing that raid so I said i'd go. I started yelling for my roommates and told them what I was going to. They were all crapping their pants excited and my best friend popped some popcorn, sat in a chair beside me and watched the whole raid. It was awesome. I think I got the orb of tishan since no one needed it.

I also remember going with my guild to PoFear and it took forever. Eventually, the night turned south on a bad pull and we wiped and couldn't rebreak in to rez. I was dead at 2am and had to be up by 6. I couldn't sleep. All i could think was that my corpse was gone for good and i'd have to start over. Game over man, game over. I decided to log back in about 5am to see if anything was still going on and shortly got a tell from an unknown person for a rez. Turns out, one of the top guilds on the server came to the rescue with a minimal crew and got us up and going. I had the best 30 minutes of sleep ever. The guild was Sanctuary on 7th hammer server. They disbanded later and some of the remaining crew formed a new guild, and I eventually joined that guild after they pulled our good members and we became the top guild for a long time. The circle was complete.
I don't think Sanc became Diligence, so that leaves Forged Souls (?) as the new guild, I think; although, on second thought, could've been TDE...

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Wasn't one of the EQ devs on here hinting at a new progression server recently? I think I would be up for that!
I tried the very very first EQ progression server with a bunch of people from fiends... Everybody quit when some guild (insidious somethingwrather?) killed nagafen by the time we were in our 30s.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
For better or worse, best memories were of Vanguard. I had already been accepted into law school when EQ came out so I knew I couldn't get hooked and stayed away for the better part of three years except for the occasional "playing a friend's alt account like a newb when visiting scenario." @JTheRuler - I enjoyed Combine (and later EQMac) a lot though, I didn't care that I was farting around at mid-levels while fuckers were raiding PoP.

But I was in the vanguard while playing Vanguard, and there's nothing like being the first to discover content in a huge world that you've got to figure out on your own: no allakhazam, no higher-levels you can ask. There were multiple major dungeons my static group was the first to visit. Too bad Sigil released it with too many bugs (Bugavator?!) and SoE killed the charm that made the bugs endurable.

Edit: Just realized my EQ timeline was off - make that when all my friends started playing EQ which ranged from a release to six months after release. 1999 is as far away from 2014 as 2029...

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
In EQ2 I was in a semi-casual guild that would raid decent stuff from time to time. We were at the Court of Al'Afaz which basically looks like Agrabah from Aladdin. We tried to kill a boss mob named Sunchild and kept failing over and over but were close enough that we kept trying. We had her down to like 5% when everyone started to drop like flies. The guild leader over skype said, "Fuck it, everyone nuke her down!" So here goes Sunchild bouncing back and forth dropping people like two dollar whores. Sunchild kills everyone but our little dwarf cleric (midwestern stay at home mom) and starts running towards her for finish off the raid. Dovie "the dwarf" nukes her with some weak as cleric nuke and drops Sunchild.

The sound that came from the Team Speak channel was awesome. Makes me chuckle even to this day.

Besides that, having Phinny finally drop my EQ1 epic wizzy staff after about 30 kills also ranks up there cause that fucker was a pain in the ass to get too.

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
I don't think Sanc became Diligence, so that leaves Forged Souls (?) as the new guild, I think; although, on second thought, could've been TDE...
I'm not sure the logistics of how things with down. I was in a small friend guild during all that fall out. I do know that TDE and Sanctuary were the top guilds at the time and not sure if Forged Souls were formed already or not, but I know they considered them friendly. I do know that the leadership left Sanct, but not sure where they went, and the folks that didn't jump ship to other guilds reformed as Diligence. No one in Diligence liked TDE, and considered them mortal enemies. I joined Diligence during Luclin, so all the drama was over and done with by that time

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So many in LoS.

Being the first guild to kill off island 4 (the splitting birds)in Plane of Sky pre Kunark was the first thing to put us on the map. I remember being in #fires and Sean (yes that one) was freaking out and crying like a little bitch that our ranger got the world first uber ranger haste belt or whatever it was for doing that djinni quest. His tears were delicious, I'm certain he cried irl. First time a mmorpg raid required multiple tanks and healers spread out (ie no retarded ch rotations on 1 tank) to my knowledge, so for the time it was very outside the norm of thinking.

It was amazing how much we did with raids in the low to mid 20s almost always when other guilds were running with 2x our numbers or more, especially well into Velious. The AoW kill was a laggy zergfest tbh, and little skill was involved...plus it was 40 minutes long. And it took Draed coming out of retirement to kick the guilds ass into pushing the envelope again, which is part of the reason many of us left for SZ.

Draed > Tigole, wasnt even close.....

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
In EQ2 I was in a semi-casual guild that would raid decent stuff from time to time. We were at the Court of Al'Afaz which basically looks like Agrabah from Aladdin. We tried to kill a boss mob named Sunchild and kept failing over and over but were close enough that we kept trying. We had her down to like 5% when everyone started to drop like flies. The guild leader over skype said, "Fuck it, everyone nuke her down!" So here goes Sunchild bouncing back and forth dropping people like two dollar whores. Sunchild kills everyone but our little dwarf cleric (midwestern stay at home mom) and starts running towards her for finish off the raid. Dovie "the dwarf" nukes her with some weak as cleric nuke and drops Sunchild.

The sound that came from the Team Speak channel was awesome. Makes me chuckle even to this day.

Besides that, having Phinny finally drop my EQ1 epic wizzy staff after about 30 kills also ranks up there cause that fucker was a pain in the ass to get too.
Love this stuff.. !

Squiggoth

Golden Squire
Being the first on the server to finish the AQ farming and spawning that vision at the AQ gates with the whole server there. The actual gong event sucked, but being on the bleeding edge of that questline was the most satisfaction i had in an MMO. I never found the siren to make the run to the island, so i had did it with soul stone, levitation, divine shield, and BoP then corpse humping a couple times. That was an epic quest that i'll never forget.

Fadaar

That guy
One of the few EQ memories I still remember was the first Fiery Avenger (Tunare server). Happened to be in Everfrost when the guy got it. For the life of me can not remember his name. I was low level at the time and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I like surnames. I'm peeved many new games don't have such a small feature.
I miss my old EQ surname
frown.png
I made it up and turns out it was actually a real Russian name, go figure. Stasczek 4 life.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Lake Rathetear fear kiting on my low level necro
Wishing I had crafted armor and a wurmslayer while killing treants in Karana
Farming Jboots and exploring in Ocean of Tears

Oh lord...I'm going to have to play EQ a bit tonight...

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Fun Trivia: Ascent was a second tier guild behind IV (who was also second tier, but slightly ahead of Ascent) in the PoP days; Smashing on Ascent's dreams was fun during that era. in GoD they became a world-wide leader though.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

Yeah, finally getting the wizzy staff ranks up there for me as well. Fuck phinny, remember before they nerfed the wizard epic when you needed the skin off of Cazic Thule? THAT was a true pain in the ass!

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure the logistics of how things with down. I was in a small friend guild during all that fall out. I do know that TDE and Sanctuary were the top guilds at the time and not sure if Forged Souls were formed already or not, but I know they considered them friendly. I do know that the leadership left Sanct, but not sure where they went, and the folks that didn't jump ship to other guilds reformed as Diligence. No one in Diligence liked TDE, and considered them mortal enemies. I joined Diligence during Luclin, so all the drama was over and done with by that time
TDE was pretty evil towards the other upper-tier guilds in those days. It was a toss-up between Cobra and them for my least liked people, although at least TDE had the courtesy to speak to you in english. I raided on and off during those days, mostly with the lower-end guilds doing clean-up content and keying up. My fondest memory of EQ had to be helping get Lunacy Unbound up and running (I joined on the third day of the guild) and running people up through Luclin into early PoP content (Valor B and whatnot) while FS/Dili were working on Ele's.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
There were 3 main Asian guilds on my server: Divine Winds, Asylum of the Shadow (although everyone called them Asses of the Server), and I think the last one was called Samurai, although my memory isn't what it used to be. DW were all pretty much good dudes, same with Samurai, AoTS were just a bunch of douche bags who spoke Engrish just fine until they trained you or KS'ed someone, or ninja looted, then they acted like they couldn't understand a word you said. Fuckers.