Formula 1 and MotoGP - Racing

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like fun. I always wanted to do it when I was in my early 20s. I was able to go watch in person and the speed those guys do in the town is intense.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I just don't think I could remember it all. I still struggle to guess where they are when I see footage.

The "road to 2022" show is up. McPint is back with Honda. I really hope the bike is based on this year's bike and not the Marquez era murderbike.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's never been cheap, I've been to Spa a few times and that was around €350 per head for a 3 day ticket last time I went and those weren't even the most expensive seats (if you wanted to sit at the start/finish line or at the first corner it was double that). SInce it's now Verstappen's second home race, prices have gone up even more and they're now asking 300ish for just friday/saturday tickets and the Sunday tickets are sold out already. Add the expected multi-hour traffic jam (let's have 20.000 cars leave the parking lot via a single lane farm road. Why? Because Belgium) and I think I'll just watch at home.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Only 60k at Jerez, but one of the BTSport guys said "tickets are expensive but bolt cutters are cheap" :emoji_laughing: For sure looked like way more than 60

Since it has been a week, if you didn't see it, an american won moto2 in portugal. Crazy race. Big crash took out the front runners, and one of the bikes was on fire.

For TT news, Michael Dunlop bailed out of his team, which I think was PB Ducati. There's a long talk with him on the TT vid site, but you might struggle with his accent. He's done these last minute bailouts before.

If they ever miss a date for testing or someone important doesn't show up he's out. I think in the past it was wanting everything perfect to win, but I think now it is that + risk of a crash.

It sounds like that sort of thing happens alot. Promises are made and broken and safety is compromised. Most of those guys are broke and so they rock up to the northwest and just ride with no time on the bike because they need the money. It's dangerous.

MD also said that the first 2 days of practice are going to be super dangerous. They've been gone 3 years (I was thinking it was 2) and people have forgotten the way around + alot has changed. Lots of resurfacing, overall it should be faster.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Do any of you guys know where you can watch WSBK replays? Motogp is easy but can't find anything for WSBK.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think sometimes they have them on motorsportreplays on reddit, but not always

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Canet breaks his arm in last week's moto2 race, surgery on monday to put a couple bolts in, races a week later, gets second :D

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Recommend watching sky practice 2 if you get a chance. Mario Andretti joins Crofty and Button and Chandhok to talk about future stuff, and sounds like they are hoping to get a team started for 2024.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whoever the new commentators are for Sky, really suck. The qualifying narration yesterday was just bad and so far most of the race commentary this year had been dull and full of errors.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm noticing slow minds everywhere. Commentary on this and even the overwatch league, plus interviews with people where they just fade out, lose track of what they were saying etc.

Even a gigabrain like Ross Brawn sounded drunk the last time I heard him interviewed.

I wonder what could be causing that.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Commentating in Miami GP still bad, all day. The old guy doesn't know what's actually going on and gets things wrong and when he's trying to talk he trips over his words and can't make coherent sentences.

Its incredibly annoying.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Sky hasn't really changed in years. The above pictured Martin Brundle doesn't go to every race now, so sometimes they will have Jenson Button or Paul Diresta in there, both former drivers.

Martin is really good. He raced against the greats even if he didn't quite achieve it himself. When he's off for a weekend you might see him at motoGP or the isle of man etc.

Ted is my fave of the sky bunch. Always awkward and funny and can recognize the tiniest change on the cars.

I really like the new tech guy for the non sky formula 1 youtube channel. I forget his name but he's got crazy hair.

There is a widespread problem with foggy brains though. One of the Laverty brothers does commentary for BTSport and quite often will have long pauses that weren't there a couple years ago. He really knows his stuff as a former rider and team owner but something is messing with people's minds.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I suspect it's Liberty Media imposing rules for commentators. One thing that's very obvious is that they are only allowed to ask two questions to anyone being interviewed, so you inevitably end up with fairly generic questions and answers. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a ton more rules like being allowed to ask only non-technical things so it's "accessible to general audiences" or whatever other terms they use.

Viaplay bought the rights for 2022 for a bunch of European countries and didn't even make an offer to some of the long-standing commentators, hiring new ones instead. You can't really replace someone that has been doing F1 interviews for literally decades with a girl that (while substantially prettier) isn't really into the sport and not expect a drop-off in quality.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Same thing is going on for the overwatch league. Many of the better commentators got priced out and they brought up talent from the tier 2 scene Contenders program. Some are decent, others not so much.

They've had a budget crunch though. The scandals lost them all the big sponsors like Toyota and such.