Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I played it a bit a few months back. It was fun for a time waster. At the time there was a pay wall, but you could overcome that by just playing. All the unlocks were random in that paying money just gave you more chances, but didn't turn into a straight pay to win situation

Ryoz

<Donor>
Surprised there isn't more buzz about this. Survival games are really up my alley atm - this looks like survival light with missions and loot. Can't wait.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I had a lot of fun in the alpha, but I'm torn by the serious P2W/RNG aspect. I can't say much more considering there is STILL AN NDA. I will probably at least get a standard edition because alpha players get a small discount.

I keep hearing this "P2progressfaster" shit and not a straight up power increase and I just think that is a slippery slope.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Raign

Golden Squire
Surprised there isn't more buzz about this. Survival games are really up my alley atm - this looks like survival light with missions and loot. Can't wait.

Me too. I have been following this one for a while as a replacement for Borderlands 2 as shoot and loot game for my friends and I. Most of the press/ indicators have been good for it, though it apparently has a bit of a learning curve due to high(ish) complexity of the building.

Really looking forward to it

Ryoz

<Donor>
Me too. I have been following this one for a while as a replacement for Borderlands 2 as shoot and loot game for my friends and I. Most of the press/ indicators have been good for it, though it apparently has a bit of a learning curve due to high(ish) complexity of the building.

Really looking forward to it

Ah yea - we all have backgrounds in Rust, 7 Days to Die, and even tried Conan despite the disappointing combat system. I don't think it will be too much of a prob, but I have a full group ready to do this when it releases. Probably gonna stream too for the lulz.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I think the fact its been in development for so long has made people lose interest and/or forget about it.

I only re-found out about it from a friend, I'll most likely be getting it since friend getting the limited edition and will sell me one of the standard editions for cheap. Along with the fact I wouldn't most likely get/play this if I didn't have some friends who were going to be getting it.

Last edited:

Rime

<Donor>
Yeah... this game has been in Early Access for going on six? Seven years now?

It looks great, but that is a huge red flag for me.

Ryoz

<Donor>
Looks like this game won't be on steam - that's kind of a bummer. Get ready to load another special snowflake launcher!

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So this is out? Any gameplay impressions? Saw Lirik watch the trailer for it during E3 and it looked semi interesting.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I had a lot of fun in the alpha, but I'm torn by the serious P2W/RNG aspect. I can't say much more considering there is STILL AN NDA. I will probably at least get a standard edition because alpha players get a small discount.

I keep hearing this "P2progressfaster" shit and not a straight up power increase and I just think that is a slippery slope.

Is there any reason to get anything of the standard edition for the game?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Once the NDA drops will you unload some specifics on it's P2W system. I typically hand wave away any game that has a pay to progress ah la 'warthunder', no matter how fun it looks.

The fact that the lowest cost edition is 40 bucks, and they shove p2w on top, does not bode well for me no matter how fun the game is.

edit: also fistbump on the p2progress bullshit. p2progress is by definition p2w. Might as well start calling this "buy my game but then pay me more if you want to enjoy it. pay2enjoy."

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Still not 'out' as this is just the early release that you have to pay for. It will be 'free to play' sometime in 2018.

I really wish this game was just a 'Buy the Box for $40/$60' and play. Instead of buy in now to unlock some stuff and everything else, you get via loot crates! That you can buy!

Bleh. This game would consume my life if it were not for the above, so I guess thank the stars for small favors.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Still not 'out' as this is just the early release that you have to pay for. It will be 'free to play' sometime in 2018.

I really wish this game was just a 'Buy the Box for $40/$60' and play. Instead of buy in now to unlock some stuff and everything else, you get via loot crates! That you can buy!

Bleh. This game would consume my life if it were not for the above, so I guess thank the stars for small favors.

Ya I read some more on this and i'm a hard pass due to the payment / access models alone.

POE and Dota 2 (i'm sure there are other examples) are paragons of f2p, I'm not sure why more companies don't follow the model. I guess the short term money to be made despite the long term health of the game is all that matters (/looks at archage).

Intropy

Shit Gamer
This drops tomorrow, lots of people talking about it on Twitch, and I have to admit, after watching the gameplay vids, I'm a sucker for these types of games. That said, just looking at the pricing page (Epic Games' Fortnite), it potentially looks like a lot of P2W BS.

Anyone planning on picking this up? Should I buy into the hype, or will this be a P2W dumpster fire?