Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

Rime

<Donor>
If it was just skins or even if it was Skins+Building parts you can naturally find, this just makes it easier, I would give it a go. But you have to random characters from the boxes... which is bullshit and has pushed me way out of being willing to play it.

Ryoz

<Donor>
I've been following for a few months now, it looks good. I have a group setup and we'll be going ham when headstart begins tomorrow at 10 am EST. The survival and combat aspect really hit all the right spots for me as far as what I look for in a zombie/survival/shooter.

The Reddit FAQ addresses pretty much any question you may have - check it out:

faq - FORTnITE

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Watching some streams this looks like it's so p2w that you're locked into one or two characters even though they have a TON of different chars.

Beta folks am I off on this? This is just first impressions from watching twitch.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Locked? If you don't pay anything looks like you just get other heroes from playing(basic) and anything higher from the loot boxes/pinata's(which you seem to get while playing). So if you pay the $40, someone said you start with like solider, you unlock the other basic heroes just doing the story but things like rare and beyond heroes are just random from boxes/pinanta. Same with weapons.

So if you don't want to pay , just play a long and get stuff as you play. Since there is no pvp not like its going to hamper you at all. If anything people paying will help you progress faster if you group with them. Otherwise I don't see the "Win" aspect of the "p2w" argument, since it's not one world like a mmo and no pvp. So unless you pay or group with someone that did, it shouldn't effect you.

From what these guys are saying, you can pay a lot now just to get legendary heroes/weapons if you want, aka skip a lot of the start progress(still have to level them) or don't and just play to get them all eventually. Seems you can earn vbucks just playing and you use those to buy stuff from store(pinata etc) and then loot boxes are just from finishing missions. This one guy opened a pinata and got a mythic hero :p

I have a group of friends playing, we just all bought the $60 pack and will just earn the rest of the stuff eventually playing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Locked? If you don't pay anything looks like you just get other heroes from playing(basic) and anything higher from the loot boxes/pinata's(which you seem to get while playing). So if you pay the $40, someone said you start with like solider, you unlock the other basic heroes just doing the story but things like rare and beyond heroes are just random from boxes/pinanta. Same with weapons.

So if you don't want to pay , just play a long and get stuff as you play. Since there is no pvp not like its going to hamper you at all. If anything people paying will help you progress faster if you group with them. Otherwise I don't see the "Win" aspect of the "p2w" argument, since it's not one world like a mmo and no pvp. So unless you pay or group with someone that did, it shouldn't effect you.

From what these guys are saying, you can pay a lot now just to get legendary heroes/weapons if you want, aka skip a lot of the start progress(still have to level them) or don't and just play to get them all eventually. Seems you can earn vbucks just playing and you use those to buy stuff from store(pinata etc) and then loot boxes are just from finishing missions. This one guy opened a pinata and got a mythic hero :p

I have a group of friends playing, we just all bought the $60 pack and will just earn the rest of the stuff eventually playing.

Ya but it was looking like the way you upgrade heroes, you would never want to try to invest in more than one at a time cause you're just splitting your 'points' or whatever you upgrade with.

Sort of like warthunder in a way.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dunno maybe at some point you get high enough you can branch out and level others? Not sure. There was mentioned too if you get duplicate hero cards you can combine or something to get a better version? Seems like until you get to mythic you are going to be just dumping into w/e character you are playing, unless you find you just don't like the play-style. Maybe there is a way to dump the hero and get some portion of the exp back to put into something else or combine it with a higher tier when you get them?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Holy shit though, for $40 you should get everything right off the bat.

I mean, 7 Days to Die you can pick up for $10.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For the $40 base,I think you start with a solider and unlock the other 3 rather quickly via the story/quest(Maybe its even done via the tutorial, not 100% sure).. At least that is what someone playing in alpha said. The only thing you are not getting is all the the upgraded heroes and loot stuff right at the start.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
The game is seriously p2progressfaster(win). You can buy pinatas which give can give you legendary heroes/traps/schematics, meaning if you buy into better founder's packs or a lot of vbucks then you are quite a bit stronger.

The game is a ton of fun, I put a good amount of time into the Alpha, and I've put in a few hours so far today. It isn't a buggy mess, is co-op, has a ton of replayability, and if you like a grind it will keep you busy for months if not longer. After getting out of the tutorial you open up a ton of things to pay attention to. Sending out squads to get resources, defending your base, doing missions, leveling up heroes/survivors/schematics, retiring heroes/survivors so you can get bonuses, researching, and much more. It is actually a little overwhelming at first.

The main reason I decided to stick with this game is because its PVE and I plan on using it as my casual grind game. If this was a PVP game with a p2w aspect like many mobile games, I would have been done already.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
How long are the average matches you can jump into? I really need another Rocket League, over 400 hours in and I probably only play it 20-30 minutes at a time.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PvP with super high end heroes/weapons coming from rng boxes/loot crates would of been crazy, unless it was somehow all normalized or used template heroes.

The group of 6 or so I am going to play with all just bought the $60 and we will progress from there. The only thing I might buy extra is inventory space if its possible.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Pays $60 and still has to buy inventory

This is why we can't have nice things

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Just depends really. You could go straight to an objective or you could explore and do side objectives like saving survivors and what not. Could range anywhere from 10/15 - 30 minutes on average. It could possibly go as long as you want if you covered 100% of the map and then went to the objective which usually ends with some type of wave based tower defense. There are several types of missions so that could change the time a bit.

Delly

Trakanon Raider

Yeah this is where the p2w aspect is pretty terrible. I do believe some of the skill trees unlock more backpack and vault space.

Edit: Double checked the skill tree, seems like small upgrades via skill points like +5 to backpack or vault

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

You don't HAVE to buy inventory. You get an inventory, but I despise micromanaging inventory and will pay to alleviate that if I need to because I am a huge pack rat and will loot everything and forgot to use a lot of it. And I paid $60 just to get a small headstart with rare hero and some loot pinatas. Could of easily done the $40 but decided not to.

Do I wish we were back in the days when micro-transactions didn't exist and everything was in-game? Of course, but your dreaming if you think it will ever happen. That box is open and will never close again. You can either ignore them and just play or pay for some of the convenience they offer, but whining about it for years is pointless.

I am sure any money you spend is on completely necessary items only.

Last edited:

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Been watching streams all day. Still on the fence, but leaning towards skipping this one just out of principal - if only counter balance rubes like Cinge who attempt to justify this shit.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Justify? Spend YOUR money how you want. I am sure you don't spend money on something you don't need or think is overpriced, right?. Bunch of hypocrites.