Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You guys are super, super concerned about what someone else does with their own money.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So the game's balanced around microtransactions?

Lovely

I honestly do not know. Could be like BDO where inventory is very limited and you get some via quest and such, then you buy more as you will most likely need it. Or could give you enough for normal and you just buy more if you want them.

But inventory space is a big pet peeve for me and I usually buy some in any game I play if it ends up I need it(I am a big pack rat in games).

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From a small amount of time watching steamers it looks fun. Haven't researched much about the pay model yet. Gonna have to look into that cause we all have our personal level of what we think is outrageous.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Looked into this cause of this thread. Seems really cool but I don't want to p2win, is it like most games currently where you can unlock by just playing or are things exclusively in the shop? Seems like you get loot boxes (pinatas) but no idea what all you can get.

I may do the $60, can play tomorrow right?

--

Any idea what the "end game" is... ?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
You can unlock everything through the skill and research trees. Its p2progressfaster which is essentially paying 2 win. I don't know if there is a cap for things like backpack/vault space. So essentially if you buy into the founder's you may have a higher cap than people who don't.

Even after putting a good amount of time into the Alpha I couldn't tell you if there is truly an end game. A lot of the game is several types of mission where you explore, gather materials, build, defend, and repeat. There is just different goals, map layouts, and mob types.

Regardless of that, there is so much content that getting to end game would likely take a long time, though that content is repetitive. You just get new heroes, skills, guns/traps, and mobs, but the of explore, gather, build, defend is always there.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If there was PVP or some kind of ladder/competitiveness I could see major P2W problems, but without it, it's just pay to skip ahead and does nothing except effect the person paying, where instead of playing they just pay to finish faster. Would be like me paying for a super character in fallout 4 just to beat the game faster.

Though I guess it could effect you if you are pugging randoms to help you finish missions or some friend, and they have spent hundreds or such to get upgraded heroes or weapons. Though it's hard to tell, I mean you could get lucky and buy a pinata with in-game earned currency and get a mythic hero from it, the joys of RNG.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Seems like a cool game to pass time with but the mission style will probably get old quick

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
From what I'm reading once this "officially launches" comes out of Early Access it will be a FTP title so I guess if people wait long enough you won't have to pay a dime for it.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
From what I'm reading once this "officially launches" comes out of Early Access it will be a FTP title so I guess if people wait long enough you won't have to pay a dime for it.

Sometime in 2018.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Well god damnit, this game looks really fun but I just don't see how it's gonna work. Watching the streams it's looking like the P2Progress system is ripped strait from the worst offending mobile games and I'm not seeing anything in place set up to stop the massive amounts of griefers there are gonna be unless you go in with a fully pre-built group.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
From what I've seen, it's just a 4 player tower defense game, which appeals to me, but i see no reason why you would want to dump money into the game just for skins and crap when it's basically a PvE game and only 4 player missions. Not some MOBA where you can "show off" or PVP where you can show your dominance through skins.

Seems like a fine casual game to me, only question is if I want to play it now or hold off.

Ryoz

<Donor>
game is awesome - will give more details soon. played with a group from 10 am yesterday until about 1 am today. i can tell you it gets more challenging and evolving your hero to the 2nd tier opens up more abilities which massively enhances the experience.

Ryoz

<Donor>
It is a fun little beer and pretzels game. Kinda like Orc's Must Die.

This seems like a response from someone who hasn't played the game - or put more than a handful of hours into it. I would disagree with this entirely.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Kept checking in on a streamer I watch that was playing this. Was fighting the same 3 mobs for 19 hours. Not my cup of tea.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
The grind is real. Its been stated many times. To get to the varying mobs and harder difficulty it will be a grind of semi-easy gameplay. Until the hard combat comes into play there is plenty of system mechanics to learn. It could take people months of casual play to get to the real hard stuff where you have to defend 2, 3, or even 4 different objectives at one time, where mobs come from multiple directions, with several types of mobs.

Like I said several times, I'm using it as my casual grindy game.

Edit: Though I should say this, it does get harder when you enter the next zone. Stonewood is pretty easy overall. So if you're looking for a challenge it does pick up. It just takes a bit to get there because of everything you have to learn and the grindiness of the game.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm curious about this game but the micro transactions I've read about in other places makes me think it won't be worth it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I just watched some videos of this and looked around. This seems like a decent concept for a small $20 game turned into EVE-like research bullshit, mobile game P2W transactions and outrageous pricing on top of a Korean MMO grind. What am I missing?