Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I just watched some videos of this and looked around. This seems like a decent concept for a small $20 game turned into EVE-like research bullshit, mobile game P2W transactions and outrageous pricing on top of a Korean MMO grind. What am I missing?

it's $40 minimum to buy into a beta that reportedly isn't needed and lasts till 2018.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
I just watched some videos of this and looked around. This seems like a decent concept for a small $20 game turned into EVE-like research bullshit, mobile game P2W transactions and outrageous pricing on top of a Korean MMO grind. What am I missing?

It has the greediest to the cash grubbing P2W transaction model ( buy box, it might have something good in it, but probably not, why not buy 10 of them? surely you'll get something good ) and, as far as I can see, all the top gear/heros/schematics/followers are exclusive to pay to win boxes. Their fig leaf of free to play is that you can grind the premium currency at a quest-locked rate that would make a chinese gold farmer kill themselves in despair.

Every piece of gear is damaged through use and not repairable. Got an legendary gun ? Lol, enjoy for 20 minutes and it's gone. Want more ? Oh, you wanted the legendary schematic, that's legendarily rare.

Traps have charges, and can't be recharged, moved or recycled.

Crafting is of the 999,999 bear asses and 1 pristine bear ass variety ( presumably just to make sure there's no inventory space )

The amount of farming required to make an item, compared to the duration of that item, is so ludicrously high even Brad McQuaid would suggest maybe it's going a bit far.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
i bought the $60
It has the greediest to the cash grubbing P2W transaction model ( buy box, it might have something good in it, but probably not, why not buy 10 of them? surely you'll get something good ) and, as far as I can see, all the top gear/heros/schematics/followers are exclusive to pay to win boxes. Their fig leaf of free to play is that you can grind the premium currency at a quest-locked rate that would make a chinese gold farmer kill themselves in despair.

Every piece of gear is damaged through use and not repairable. Got an legendary gun ? Lol, enjoy for 20 minutes and it's gone. Want more ? Oh, you wanted the legendary schematic, that's legendarily rare.

Traps have charges, and can't be recharged, moved or recycled.

Crafting is of the 999,999 bear asses and 1 pristine bear ass variety ( presumably just to make sure there's no inventory space )

The amount of farming required to make an item, compared to the duration of that item, is so ludicrously high even Brad McQuaid would suggest maybe it's going a bit far.

It's not a p2win game, there is no need to use the store. So far I've yet to lose a mission, my hero is the starter rare and weapons are epics.

I agree it's grindy as hell. Durability on epics is good though. Keeping enough ammo is always my problem, but it makes me focus on efficient usage and headshots.

Luckily the pickaxe isn't something that needs to be maintained.

The downsides for me is that it takes way too long to get to the challenging content and they throw a million systems at you from the start. They could do a better job introducing the systems imo... survivors and squads could have come online later imo.

Im just waiting til I finally get to a mission where the Atlas or whatever actually takes damage. A mission I lose will be amazing

Ladro

Anomaly
Better hope that it doesn't show you a "Insert coin to continue?" screen when you do. That sucks. I was kind of hoping this would be a cool casual game, but I'm tired of micro transactions like this.

Pass.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am having fun and have zero desire to spend more money on it. And Archeage got me bad with the cash shop. I would say it is not too money grubbing/obnoxious.

But to each their own. It is fun though and runs well.

Ryoz

<Donor>
There are some misconceptions here - this is NOT play to win. Do you have to spend money to buy the game? Yes. Beyond that, questing is all you need to do. I have probably 5 - 6 epic weapon schematics. I'm at about 15 hours in and crafting new epic weps is no problem.

Now -- can you spend money to buy more llamas which give you a random shot at more schematics, heroes, survivors? Yes. But you can get those same llamas and those same items just by playing the game.

Watching a stream of this game won't do it justice. It's grindy - if you don't like grindy games, you probably won't like this. The game has a lot more to it once you get out of the noob bubble at sub 10 hours.

velk

Trakanon Raider
There are some misconceptions here - this is NOT play to win. Do you have to spend money to buy the game? Yes. Beyond that, questing is all you need to do. I have probably 5 - 6 epic weapon schematics. I'm at about 15 hours in and crafting new epic weps is no problem. .

That's an ironic typo right there - it's true, it's not play to win ;p

People are generally pointlessly argumentative about 'pay to win' as a term, with some people even a giant flashing button that literally says 'Insert credit card details and win the game ! Comes with free exclusive victory screen' wouldn't count.

Let's take the checklist challenge, and then anyone reading it can decide for themselves.

Can pay real money for cosmetic items : check
Can pay real money for xp boosts : check
Can level up items and characters directly with currency : nope
Artificial time gates to playing can be unlocked with currency : nope
Can pay real money for exclusive characters : check
Can pay real money for exclusive items : check
- Those exclusive characters and items are cosmetically improved over normal : check
- Those exclusive characters and items have a functional advantage over alternatives : check
- Those exclusive characters and items have a significant functional advantage over alternatives : check
Has a "premium" currency bought for real money that is the only currency for upgrades : check
There's no unrestricted way to gain premium currency without buying it ( i.e. drip fed from non-repeatable quests in carefully metered dose for maximum real money conversion ) : check
ALL the top tier items are bought with premium currency : check
ALL the top tier characters are bought with premium currency : check
You can't buy anything directly, everything is spinning the slot machine : check

To me, 12/14 puts is squarely in the dirtiest tier of exploitative mobile games- you can make your own decisions.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I only see mtx being useful for people that suck dick at the game and think they can p2win.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That's an ironic typo right there - it's true, it's not play to win ;p

People are generally pointlessly argumentative about 'pay to win' as a term, with some people even a giant flashing button that literally says 'Insert credit card details and win the game ! Comes with free exclusive victory screen' wouldn't count.

Let's take the checklist challenge, and then anyone reading it can decide for themselves.

Can pay real money for cosmetic items : check
Can pay real money for xp boosts : check
Can level up items and characters directly with currency : nope
Artificial time gates to playing can be unlocked with currency : nope
Can pay real money for exclusive characters : check
Can pay real money for exclusive items : check
- Those exclusive characters and items are cosmetically improved over normal : check
- Those exclusive characters and items have a functional advantage over alternatives : check
- Those exclusive characters and items have a significant functional advantage over alternatives : check
Has a "premium" currency bought for real money that is the only currency for upgrades : check
There's no unrestricted way to gain premium currency without buying it ( i.e. drip fed from non-repeatable quests in carefully metered dose for maximum real money conversion ) : check
ALL the top tier items are bought with premium currency : check
ALL the top tier characters are bought with premium currency : check
You can't buy anything directly, everything is spinning the slot machine : check

To me, 12/14 puts is squarely in the dirtiest tier of exploitative mobile games- you can make your own decisions.

Aren't the bulk of these wrong though? I've gotten every form of currency via quests, and then more I think from my collections. Currently have 2 quests that would give me 50 V-bucks each, enough to buy an upgrade box... which would likely then give me another currency from those to buy another (founders) box. I have a couple of legendary items/people, none bought with money. All over the course of maybe 6-7 hours of play.

All I've purchased is the $60 pack, just for the extra heroes to get going, but I've since gotten at least 1-2 of each of the types just from playing. I started with a nice gun but I don't really use it because I like the epic scar and sniper I've gotten and crafted since. I was disappointed when I had my first item break... but it was after like 9 matches and it was a green quality, if I'd crafted it and not found it I would have easily gotten the mats to create another in that timeframe.

You actually can't pay real money for the bulk of your list aside from the initial edition you purchase. From there you can either upgrade your edition or buy in-game currency... which is only useful for buying the boxes (llamas), which then might contain some of the items on your list. You can't buy 'top tier' items or characters with the currency.

Literally, here's a shot of the store for me:

upload_2017-7-23_10-59-42.png

If anyone thinks the game looks fun, then you'll probably have fun with it. Agree with one of the above mentions that some of the systems could have probably come later. Push some of the survivor/defender/etc stuff to the next area, but then they'd have to make sure you don't receive those items in boxes too probably.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK, but seriously, what is wrong with people.

You are literally paying for a slot machine wrapped in a game with those prices. You still have to buy the 'founders pack'. We are so far beyond the "it's a few dollars for a cosmetic item, if someone wants it who cares!" that it's insane.

The difference is last time I went to Vegas I got a free room, champagne package, $100 slot credits and tickets to a show and walked out of the weekend $300 richer because I was a bit lucky and not '$500 on 00!' retarded.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
OK, but seriously, what is wrong with people.

You are literally paying for a slot machine wrapped in a game with those prices. You still have to buy the 'founders pack'. We are so far beyond the "it's a few dollars for a cosmetic item, if someone wants it who cares!" that it's insane.

The difference is last time I went to Vegas I got a free room, champagne package, $100 slot credits and tickets to a show and walked out of the weekend $300 richer because I was a bit lucky and not '$500 on 00!' retarded.

At least with a game like warthunder I know I can drop 30 bucks and max out all the important stats on the crew / plane I want to use (or I can grind it out for 200 hours). They give a reach around when fucking that asshole.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Joke: Pays $10 for an item
Woke: Pays $10 for a chance at an item
Broke: Pays $10 for the privilege to buy chances at an item

• 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Joke: Pays $10 for an item
Woke: Pays $10 for a chance at an item
Broke: Pays $10 for the privilege to buy chances at an item
It's weird, because I swear I've seen game companies get in trouble for having what essentially amounts to p2w stuff where it's a gamble. Because eventually it gets close enough to actual online gambling that, at least in the US, the government finds it unacceptable.

This game seems to be in that realm.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's weird, because I swear I've seen game companies get in trouble for having what essentially amounts to p2w stuff where it's a gamble. Because eventually it gets close enough to actual online gambling that, at least in the US, the government finds it unacceptable.

I'm not sure, the only ones I know of are the games that also publish in China - basically in China it is law that you show the 'drop rates' of random purchases. Some just include it in their US localization, others change it up and hide it for the US. There were some lawsuits/issues with that a while back, though I don't remember what specific game (games) it was.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

I think the trick is as long as the items have no IRL monetary value it's good to go.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think the trick is as long as the items have no IRL monetary value it's good to go.

They all have 'IRL value' though since money goes into the system. I think it's that they can't take actual IRL currency out. This is why Blizz is fine with the token system + OW crates, etc.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
They all have 'IRL value' though since money goes into the system. I think it's that they can't take actual IRL currency out. This is why Blizz is fine with the token system + OW crates, etc.

Blizzard made some changes to their Hearthstone store for China only because it was essentially a slot machine purchase.
Also Overwatch had to do something to comply with the new law, released odds or something?

Basically every game has "loot boxes" now, this game isn't much different in terms of price. $10 for 10 boxes is about what every game has.

---

Point is, I have found 0 reason to buy any boxes atm. I'm still in the starter area but almost out of it. If I do find something truly "pay2win" then Ill be sure to report back.

I've been able to acquire V-bucks just by playing the game, so I really don't know what velk was rambling on about. I've found nothing to be store-exclusive.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Ya that's what I meant.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I don't think the exclusive characters are any better than the original, you just get them right away, plus they are cosmetically different. Not sure about exclusive items(I don't think they have an actual advantage), but many item schematics of the same name have different stats, similar to RPG items like "of the bear" or "of the tiger". You could easily buy in at 40 or 60 and feel like you're getting plenty of value, but the game is fun enough that it seems like many people buy into super deluxe range.

Should talk this crybaby p2w talk over to the SJW thread. I consider it p2w, but the game is a ton of fun with or without spending a ton of money.