Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

velk

Trakanon Raider
I think the trick is as long as the items have no IRL monetary value it's good to go.

Yeah, this. It's not "really" gambling because you can't actually win.

The monetary value of virtual goods is a bit of a sticky problem for the legal system currently, exacerbated by bitcoin and it's like.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Point is, I have found 0 reason to buy any boxes atm. I'm still in the starter area but almost out of it. If I do find something truly "pay2win" then Ill be sure to report back.

I've been able to acquire V-bucks just by playing the game, so I really don't know what velk was rambling on about. I've found nothing to be store-exclusive.

You are in the starter area, and you already bought a minimum of $60 worth of boxes - did you think they were just giving out those llamas to everyone ? ;p

All high tier schematics and heroes are loot boxes only.
The only way to get loot boxes is with premium currency.
The only two ways to get premium currency are buying it or having it drip fed through non-repeatable quests at a rate carefully calculated to maximize the real money conversion rate.

That's the basics - pretty much *everything* of worth is indirectly store exclusive. If that's not direct enough - you may notice the giant literally flashing buttons on the store window offering upgrades to get exclusive heroes and weapons in the founder's packs ? Did you buy in at $250 or something so you don't see them ?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Haven't paid a cent for this game (friend gave me his founders pack +1), and love the shit out of it. Not sure why you'd spend money on it, there's nothing to buy except random LLs.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
You are in the starter area, and you already bought a minimum of $60 worth of boxes - did you think they were just giving out those llamas to everyone ? ;p

All high tier schematics and heroes are loot boxes only.
The only way to get loot boxes is with premium currency.
The only two ways to get premium currency are buying it or having it drip fed through non-repeatable quests at a rate carefully calculated to maximize the real money conversion rate.

That's the basics - pretty much *everything* of worth is indirectly store exclusive. If that's not direct enough - you may notice the giant literally flashing buttons on the store window offering upgrades to get exclusive heroes and weapons in the founder's packs ? Did you buy in at $250 or something so you don't see them ?

No, I spent $60 to play the game ~4 months early. I don't care about loot, the game is brain-dead easy so far and I'll just grind it out later or use better strategy than think +1 in stats will make much of a difference.

The premium currency comes from enough in-game stuff for me, I just got another 500 yesterday for leveling my collection and I have a few quests that'll grant me a few hundred I need to do.

There is nothing "store exclusive". I only see V-Bucks and betterer founder packs in my store, no heroes/weapons like you're trying to say

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Giant flashing buttons? I have none of that, no pops ups to go to the store etc. Actually never even have to enter the store menu unless you want to buy bucks or upgrade packs.

It is a very grindy game, will take quiet a while to get things and luck. Since almost everything comes from the lamas so far. You do seem to slowly start to get heroes and schematics from certain quests but very rarely atm. But you could easily play without spending anything but the base price. The weapons are not that big a deal given their durability drops pretty fast and you need the schematics to make more. The legendary hero is probably more of a big deal since you can pick which one you want and they will always be with you(even if you don't play them directly you still slow them for upgrades). Though I did get a legendary from a lama pretty early, unfortunately it wasn't the class I want to play. Still useful in squad to get a buff in stats though.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I paid the cost of entry.. and I'm having a blast in this game. It's crazy fun. I've gotten a couple epic and one legendary from the loot llamas so far, and I haven't spent any real money outside of the initial purchase.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Just bought the $60 pack for the PS4 and now the servers are offline. lol reminds me of WoW/D3 and all their issues when they released. Anyways, I'm excited to play this game. Hit me up if your on PSN: Vatic85

Also, I haven't seen this mentioned but it appears the game is cross play capable if you create an epic games account.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Too azn grindy repetitivey time sinkey for me. I can't figure out what squads are for or how to actually progress my character. And I'm not getting usable character xp or schematic xp/loot readily enough to enjoy this anymore.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am like level 17, still having fun. I play it for a couple hours then do other things for a bit. I massively overbuilt my storm shield fort thing and had a blast doing it, but good lord it is cluttered as hell.

Have spent zero money other than the purchase of the game, and have felt zero need to spend any more.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Too azn grindy repetitivey time sinkey for me. I can't figure out what squads are for or how to actually progress my character. And I'm not getting usable character xp or schematic xp/loot readily enough to enjoy this anymore.

In the spirit of this game, 10 dollars and ill give you that information.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
In the spirit of this game, 10 dollars and ill give you that information.

In the actual spirit of the game, give me $10 and I'll roll a dice and either give you Kiroy's answer or a random Fortune Cookie fortune.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Can someone explain to me why games like this are the anti christ but games like Hearthstone nobody seems to have a problem with?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Can someone explain to me why games like this are the anti christ but games like Hearthstone nobody seems to have a problem with?

Overwatch and every other loot box game too.. surprised LoL hasnt adopted Loot boxes yet.. tis why I still love that game, you can buy what you want, no RNG

Palum

what Suineg set it to

I assure you, I have a problem with Hearthstone.

But to address your specific point, the difference is in shoehorning gambling into the core gameplay. Hearthstone is built on a card game concept that relies on gambling, for better or worse, within the scope of the game. There is a 'rarity market' in CCGs/TCGs that is part of the complexity and fun of the environment, this is why 'Proxy MTG' is simply not that interesting to your average person.

This game has a model that is clearly defined and exists everywhere in established rules without a slot machine attached to power and advancement. It's not 'the way you play the game', in the same way that you don't have to run through a slot machine system to assemble a deck of cards to play poker, though you could certainly try to add one.

I also just have a problem with the pricing schemes of a lot of these games. I don't really agree with digital CCG pricing either, but there are few good ones to complain about and the religious cult of Hearthstone insulates the wider audience from any criticism.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Overwatch and every other loot box game too.. surprised LoL hasnt adopted Loot boxes yet.. tis why I still love that game, you can buy what you want, no RNG

What can you unlock from OW that has gameplay impact?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I assure you, I have a problem with Hearthstone.

But to address your specific point, the difference is in shoehorning gambling into the core gameplay. Hearthstone is built on a card game concept that relies on gambling, for better or worse, within the scope of the game. There is a 'rarity market' in CCGs/TCGs that is part of the complexity and fun of the environment, this is why 'Proxy MTG' is simply not that interesting to your average person.

This game has a model that is clearly defined and exists everywhere in established rules without a slot machine attached to power and advancement. It's not 'the way you play the game', in the same way that you don't have to run through a slot machine system to assemble a deck of cards to play poker, though you could certainly try to add one.

I also just have a problem with the pricing schemes of a lot of these games. I don't really agree with digital CCG pricing either, but there are few good ones to complain about and the religious cult of Hearthstone insulates the wider audience from any criticism.

I get the physical appeal of CCGs/TCGs but in Hearthstone you can't trade shit. I would understand if you could but right now it's if anything worse then this game. I don't even understand why you would actually want to buy shit in this game since it's just a co-op game with no pvp. You would be paying to make the game easier and shorter and take the joy of actually getting something cool.

People seemed to just have a massive fucking hard on for this game while others get a pass. Me personally, I'm fucking done with this founder pack early access bullshit. Unless it's from a developer I trust then fuck that endless never releasing bullshit.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
What can you unlock from OW that has gameplay impact?

So RNG is fine if its cosmetics?

I'm saying Loot Boxes is a terrible system and should be banned imo. I like that China took some steps to thwart it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So RNG is fine if its cosmetics?

I'm saying Loot Boxes is a terrible system and should be banned imo. I like that China took some steps to thwart it.

I agree, but I guess I think there's a hard line between parting a fool from their money (cosmetics) and requiring it as a core component of gameplay (IG items).

I mean to be clear, I'm not against RMT items in principle, just mostly in practice. When you put them behind RNG it becomes untenable. As Blizz found out with Legion, there is a cap to layers of RNG the average human mind will tolerate.