Fortnite - Epic Games - Team Survival/Strategy/Crafting/Combat

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I get the physical appeal of CCGs/TCGs but in Hearthstone you can't trade shit. I would understand if you could but right now it's if anything worse then this game. I don't even understand why you would actually want to buy shit in this game since it's just a co-op game with no pvp. You would be paying to make the game easier and shorter and take the joy of actually getting something cool.

People seemed to just have a massive fucking hard on for this game while others get a pass. Me personally, I'm fucking done with this founder pack early access bullshit. Unless it's from a developer I trust then fuck that endless never releasing bullshit.

It still creates a market. You can play MTG and never trade (honestly most people I knew rarely traded, they just bought more packs and hoarded). The point is that part of the game is the expectation of effort (money) to be placed into the system to obtain a level of market presence. It's 'thrilling' I guess.

Again, I'm not saying that it's a great model and certainly while at least Wizards can maintain some facade of 'costs' in producing a physical product, certainly with digital CCGs/TCGs that actual value of product is zero so the question pops up again as to a value proposition.

Rime

<Donor>
Only reason I do not have a problem with Hearthstone is that they allow you to buy packs with WoW gold. (Token System)

Intropy

Shit Gamer
The issue with these types of games is the adversarial/exploitative nature of the relationship between game developers and players.

In traditional, old school games there was a simple value proposition: game developers make a good quality game that is fun to play and gamers pay a fair price for that experience. There was alignment between the incentives for gamers and developers - the better the game the more likely players were to buy it - therefore it was in the developers interest to make the best possible experience for players.

These p2w mechanics pervert those incentives. When playing these games I implicitly feel manipulated since I know my interests aren't aligned with the developer's. In fact, simply by playing I know I'm entering into a system that has been painstakingly designed to maximally exploit me. Instead of getting a quality game that is fun to play, I get this twisted skinner box whose mechanics are designed to be just barely fun enough to keep me addicted - with progression curves designed to string me along for long enough that it becomes preferable to just shell out cash for one more button press of the magic button instead of slogging through the f2p mechanics longer than necessary.

When I come home at the end of the day I want to chill out and be entertained with some quality media - not thrust myself into an addictive rube goldberg contraption designed to extract as much money from me as possible. Its super disappointing to hear about a game like this, get excited for it, and then witness all the ways potentially great gameplay has been compromised in service of creating an optimal manipulation machine.

Anyway, obviously many people have written on this subject much more eloquently then me - it still sucks though.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The issue with these types of games is the adversarial/exploitative nature of the relationship between game developers and players.

In traditional, old school games there was a simple value proposition: game developers make a good quality game that is fun to play and gamers pay a fair price for that experience. There was alignment between the incentives for gamers and developers - the better the game the more likely players were to buy it - therefore it was in the developers interest to make the best possible experience for players.

These p2w mechanics pervert those incentives. When playing these games I implicitly feel manipulated since I know my interests aren't aligned with the developer's. In fact, simply by playing I know I'm entering into a system that has been painstakingly designed to maximally exploit me. Instead of getting a quality game that is fun to play, I get this twisted skinner box whose mechanics are designed to be just barely fun enough to keep me addicted - with progression curves designed to string me along for long enough that it becomes preferable to just shell out cash for one more button press of the magic button instead of slogging through the f2p mechanics longer than necessary.

When I come home at the end of the day I want to chill out and be entertained with some quality media - not thrust myself into an addictive rube goldberg contraption designed to extract as much money from me as possible. Its super disappointing to hear about a game like this, get excited for it, and then witness all the ways potentially great gameplay has been compromised in service of creating an optimal manipulation machine.

Anyway, obviously many people have written on this subject much more eloquently then me - it still sucks though.

Agreed,

With regard to Fortnite, I said this last week, it's a great casual game to just chill and kill zombies. The items/MTX/whatever are all side-show bs that really doesn't mean much. You can load up a mission, blow up zombies for 20mins and then peace out. It's great. The graphics are awesome, controls flow well, and it's just enjoyable. I know it might be silly but the shit that makes it engaging are the big explosions & little graphical touches every time you headshot a mob & stuff. You get to "feel" that you're actually gunning these things down. You can knock them back, knock them down, etc, it's pretty cool.

I especially love calling in air strikes.

I'm on the final page of quests for the starter area, hopefully knock them out tonight and will see how hard the next area is. Hopefully shit gets more challenging, it's been ez mode.

I also got my first level 5 chest... I think it had something to do with 1 player leaving the mission. It was a level 15 mission. I was close to getting another level 5 chest with 4 players though, was a few ticks off. Wish I knew what determined chest level.

Ryoz

<Donor>
I'll eat some crow here and say I am starting to get annoyed by how long it takes to get llamas/ vbucks once you get out of stomwood.

Molten Core Raider
I was thinking of dipping into this with friends and grabbing the Limited Edition pack for the extra copies of the game. Anyone know how good the 'exclusive' heroes are that are packed in? Are they any different from other Legendary heroes other than their looks?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I was thinking of dipping into this with friends and grabbing the Limited Edition pack for the extra copies of the game. Anyone know how good the 'exclusive' heroes are that are packed in? Are they any different from other Legendary heroes other than their looks?

Pretty sure it's just the fact you get to start with a Legendary, getting Legendaries isn't common. I have no Legendary Hero so far, only Survivors and a Weapon I don't use.

downside is people see you spent the $200 or whatever and get to laugh at you :D

Ryoz

<Donor>
I spent $10 on that 11x llama deal a few days ago. They're already working their evil magic.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
lol, no, it's really not. It's become accepted but it's not okay. I hope US cracks down on it more than China.

You have no control on the "odds" and have no recourse/protections. The devs just say "thanks for the donation, here's your shitty items!"

A game like LoL doesn't do RNG. you literally buy what you want, it's fantastic.
RNG means devs put less work into the cosmetics, they just create 1000s of bs and 1 decent item you "roll for". It's asinine and should be illegal.

Molten Core Raider
downside is people see you spent the $200 or whatever and get to laugh at you :D

Yeah, guess there is that. But, with my friends and the bot herd that comes with it I can avoid the ridicule (maybe) :p

I decided to stop working and read a bit more on it, looks like the legendary heroes from the founder pack cant be 'recycled' or used as exp fodder for other heroes. Essentially it's an early game boost that is an exp black hole. That exp might be best used elsewhere if Im reading this correctly. Probably not the best use of money then to get that limited edition (unless I really want to be a white garbed ninja which seems fairly counter-productive...)

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Hoping they fix the UI or let us scale the UI. Ridiculous how much room it takes up. During the AMA, they stated they will be letting us access the backpack/craft in the menus. Its on their list.

I didn't see the squads question get answered so I'll do a quick rundown. Squads are mean't to give you stats. Certain squads give you a specific letter of F.O.R.T. EMT gives you Fortitude and Team Fortitude, Fire Team Alpha gives you Offense and Team Offense. Having a team leader that is a job match gives you more stats, having survivors that match the team leaders personality gives you more stats. Having rarer quality survivors gives you more stats. The bonuses on the survivor's can be fulfilled if you get multiple of the same survivor with that bonus. Like if you have 2 survivors with trap durability bonus it'll be 2/2 and completed. If you only have one survivor with that bonus its 1/2.

As far as progressing your character, remember the game is grindy and it is slow to start. Best way to increase your power? Level your weapon schematic at least a few levels and then craft it. You will notice a big difference. Be careful not to overlevel it and make it un-craftable. After that, increasing your hero level and squads is your next best bet. Think of squads as your paragon from Diablo 3. It all adds up.

Edit: Don't recycle or retire anyone until you check your collection. Put everything in the collection first before recycling and retiring. Also realize that the collection takes your schematics, not your crafted weapons/traps.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Also realize that the collection takes your schematics, not your crafted weapons/traps.

I found this out the hard way after I stuck all my trap schematics into the collection thinking it would take crafted traps and not the entire schematic from you. Now I'm stuck grinding easier missions to gather the schematics up again.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I kinda fed the collections more or less everything except for non-duplicate heroes blue and above. I'm still on the first island, don't really need to do a whole lot aside from basic structures. I'm looking forward to the harder levels, hope we get flyers or something too at some point. Build AA towers, etc.

Would also like a tower defense type of game too, funnel bad guys through a city, etc. That could be pretty awesome.

My sticker book is at like level 22.

Twitch and Fortnite doing some stuff, you can get quests by broadcasting/watching/subscribing: Watch Fortnite Streams and Get In-Game Quests!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
At least they made an easy to read reference chart of all the different tiers of wallet rape

Epic Games' Fortnite

$$$EXTRA INVENTORY$$$
$$$MORE STARTER HEROES$$$
$$$RARE WEAPONS$$$
$$$XP BOOSTS$$$

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
LoL @ comparing this to Hearthstone, a pure PVP experience. This is Hearthstone alright, without the PVP.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
LoL @ comparing this to Hearthstone, a pure PVP experience. This is Hearthstone alright, without the PVP.

So you actually think it's fucking better to have to pay to get shit in a PVP game then in a co-op? Are you excusing paying for shit in a PVP game? Wtf exactly is your point or did you just mouth breath all over the keys?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
This could be F2P and I wouldn't touch it (despite it looking fun) because you have to get some stupid shit Epic Games Launcher.

No steam, fuck you.