Forza Horizon 5

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It's the principle of it, maaan!

I usually skipped online stuff in FH4. When I did the races was top one or two most of the time (want to say probably 80% beat all AI) and team usually won. Was a challenge and some luck required, but never a kick in the dick like FH5 has been.

Meanwhile, the other co-op mode races are too easy. By design, but still maybe need to be harder. Have missed checkpoints multiple times and never a problem going last to at least beat all AI. That's probably too easy.

With FH5 my goal was to start doing the online stuff, but bleh. Sure they'll get it ironed out, but this launch hasn't been very inspiring.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
1 point shy of completing the season, daily challenge is to complete an expedition for 1 point (and 10 forzathon points); have completed 6ish expeditions and just don't get credit. Honestly this game feels like a buggy expansion for Horizon 4 more than a fully baked game. Still having fun but the bugs and the ridiculous AI are super annoying

Same bugs as FH4 but managed to introduce new ones. It's a bit perplexing.

The resume function I think is causing some of my audio and artifact graphics issues. Maybe crashes. Memory leak on consoles now?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What I don't understand is how they managed to fuck up Arcade so badly. I've attempted it several times after the latest patch and there's still never more than 1-2 other people in my instance. If you're lucky you can finish the first event and occasionally the second one, but the third one has such a short timer that I've never seen the bar get past about 25% before failure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
They're cracking down on inappropriate livery paint designs. I guess because of vans with "free candy" they're banning people based on the word "free" citing exploitation of children. So random people with designs using the word free, like some joke "free Britney" or "free wheelspins" designs people now banned for child exploitation. Lots of people pissed off. I think these devs have just woked themselves retarded.

Edit: some guy banned for license ate 42069. Wonder if my "uhv2gobk" will get me banned.

Last edited:

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Really glad I did this through gamepass, already getting a little bored of it but:
The 88 Starion in factory black is balls on the real car, even the interior and the engine. It also reminded me of 2 things: these cars seemed fast as hell when I was 18 but not now ,and I'm fucking old now.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Really glad I did this through gamepass, already getting a little bored of it but:
The 88 Starion in factory black is balls on the real car, even the interior and the engine. It also reminded me of 2 things: these cars seemed fast as hell when I was 18 but not now ,and I'm fucking old now.
Yeah, I enjoyed the game but grinding out seasons seems pretty unfun.

My very first car was an '89 240sx. It's god awful in this game, but man did it feel fast when I was driving it.

It is kind of funny though that HokiHoshi did a video about learning to drift and that's the car he used. My only accident ever was because I was driving it in the snow and fishtailed into a light pole.

Vorph

I wish they still put the 1st gen (90-94) Eclipse GSX in these games. That was the first car I bought with my own money, had it tuned to about 320hp and it would still be a very fast car even by today's standards. You never see anything but the much shittier gen 2 though, thanks to Fast and the Furious.

Same goes for the 3000GT VR4 as well. Only having the JDM version (GTO) in Forza is a damn shame.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shit, left off the most relevant part of my first car story. Bought it with money I made selling my EQ character!

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I won the Eliminator! I'm somebody! I'm really somebody.

WTF I love the Eliminator now.

Not really, still dumb.

• 1Worf

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Every single time I try the trial some cunt in a stock car uses me as brake and I miss a checkpoint, every single time

• 1Solidarity

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, these trials have been brutal for all the wrong reasons.

This week I got lucky. First attempt, first race I got rammed and missed a checkpoint and the team obviously sucked so quit.

Second attempt, first race I got rammed and missed a checkpoint. Team looked decent, so stuck it out and managed to win the series.

The second race on narrow, cobblestone roads in the village was terrible. They must be so proud of that area to keep forcing us back there.

spronk

FPS noob
the car you get for the trial sells for like 240k on the AH so can just buy that shit and save yourself a lot of heartache

i gave up when the first race I was in had 3 drivers in 999 X cars and 1 dude in a fucking 800 car. bro wtf

the thing you really wanna min/max is forzathon points, just buying them off car mastery points or AFKing in forzathon events as much as you can. Sometimes you'll get like 2 cars and a cosmetic for 900 points total or whatever and in the new system grinding FP points is nearly impossible.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't have 5, but lots of other driving games. Do most of you have wheels or use xbox controllers? I had a wheel long ago that was pretty decent with pedals, but just bulky. I discovered at least with more arcadey flight games i preferred controller to stick. So in wondering how many prefer a controller?

Any decent Cheap wheels exist these days? Racing is one 2% of my game consumption, so a $250+ wheel likely won't happen.

Vorph

Any decent Cheap wheels exist these days? Racing is one 2% of my game consumption, so a $250+ wheel likely won't happen.
You can get away without a clutch pedal and paddle shifting works fine (some would say better) compared to having a dedicated shifter, but any wheel without good force feedback is just a waste of money. Generally speaking you're looking at around $250 for anything actually worth buying, and I don't recall seeing any BF deals on those wheels at all this year. At least not Xbox wheels anyway; you can find a G29 for $250 right now, but it's PC/PS4&5 only. If you're playing on PC, you have a lot more choices, especially since older wheels should still work well.

Only real way to save money for Xbox wheels seems to be buying a used one (maybe a Thrustmaster TMX since Logitech G920s are very hard to find both new and used).

Personally I just use a gamepad these days, I play on Series X and S and don't have any place to clamp the wheel near either console. Drifting would be vastly easier with a wheel setup, but I can do everything else just fine with the controller.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The other extreme is next time I'm sitting on a bunch of hobby money go nuts with vr and wheel/hotas for flight

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't have 5, but lots of other driving games. Do most of you have wheels or use xbox controllers? I had a wheel long ago that was pretty decent with pedals, but just bulky. I discovered at least with more arcadey flight games i preferred controller to stick. So in wondering how many prefer a controller?

Forza Horizon games are notoriously unfriendly to racing wheels in both setting one up and physics/behavior. I wouldn't say it's worth getting a wheel just for a Forza Horizon game. Not only is a controller viable, some argue an advantage because of the corrections and dampening built into the game for controller use.

I find a wheel more fun, and for me at higher car classes more competitive because I'm not great with left thumb sticks (part because of nerve damage, partly because I just never lurned to get gud with a controller playing mostly PC over the years).

They changed some physics in FH5. Even in FH4 my old ass Playstation 2 wheel with janky support felt more natural. In 5, it just feels off, or imbalanced compared to playing with a controller.

For instance, there have been turns using a wheel that I literally couldn't make. From the same rewind point I'd break traction no matter what I did. Would grab the controller and make the turn no problem just mashing the left stick like it's nothing.

It could be argued the wheel physics are more realistic, but in an arcade racer that isn't always realistic, with controller physics that isn't realistic, against AI that isn't realistic, then I'm not sure the added realism of a wheel is much benefit.

So, not worth it imo for just Forza Horizon games, but if you want to play other actual racing sims then the wheel is worth trying out to see if you like it in Horizon games.

Wheels got expensive in recent years. Thrustmaster TMX is a good entry wheel, but shit pedals. I got it because it was cheap, but definitely need to upgrade to the pro pedals. B&H has the entry package for $159 this black Friday for reference. The pedals really suck, though, especially without a stand to screw them to (I can only useine without sliding because I had a TV tray I was able to wedge the pedals into the legs).

TMX Pro or the $250 range Logitech are probably the best entry point if wanting to do any real racing sim. Again not really worth it for only Horizon racers or if sim racing isn't central to your gaming. I think in polls only like 20% use a wheel in Horizon games, and it's not much advantage anyhow.

• 1Like