Foundation

spronk

FPS noob
isn't this a prequel anyways? or postquel? can't remember

i think it takes the bits and pieces it wants and probably throws in a little prequel. Asimov wrote like another 10 books "around" Foundation, some were prequels that eventually tied into his I, Robot series and then a whole bunch of sequels that went on with what happened after the 3 foundation books.

The core books are incredibly dry and not well suited to adaption, since they time skip 100+ years constantly so its not surprising they would rather probably stick to a single time period for one season, then maybe jump time periods for another season.

It looks like the show is gonna stick to mostly Y0 of Foundation, but draw out the glory of the Empire of Man and also show the decay at the edges, and show Hari Seldon's establishment of Foundation. The "narrator" from book 1 seems to be recast as a young black woman, which I don't think is a big change since the character was more or less a blank slate used as reader POV.

It definitely feels like its gonna draw heavy inspiration from Dune and Blade Runner in the visuals and world building.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Stuff like:

"The estate says Goyer has zeroed in on the most important elements of the story. Additionally, since the original text was written for a post-World War II audience, with the mores of the time, some events would have to be changed.

For example, most of the characters in the original book were men. So, Goyer asked the estate how they would feel if a few characters were gender-flipped.
The estate responded positively, saying that "we think Asimov himself would have completely embraced that."

Is just so arrogant and tiresome. If Asimov had wanted those character to be women, he would have written them as women. The estate is just seeing $$, and Apple is saying we won't do this unless we can make changes. I doubt the gender swaps will have any meaning to the story overall, but the fact that these people felt they needed to make such changes is pathetic.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
first 2 episodes have dropped on Apple TV+, gonna watch this weekend. There will be 10 total (8 more), one per week

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Watched the first episode. Not too shabby. There were dramatizations to make elements of the story more cinematic, but the overall theme is still very much there and quite epic in scope. Plus Jared Harris could read the damn phonebook and be amazing.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Easy to get a free Apple TV month.

Been a while since I read the books but this is almost a total re-write while preserving the core narrative.

Not bad. It looks great and has some decent actors. Worth a month free sub to Apple TV for sure.

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah, watched the first two episodes and i'd say max 15% of the book is in the 2 episodes, its 85% new stuff that delves far, far deeper into the early beginnings of Foundation. If you are watching episode 1 and thinking "what about computers, AI?" thats semi answered in episode 2, although dodged a little bit too.

So far its interesting but not amazing, like something feels way off. I dunno what it is but I definitely don't get the grandeur across of a 10,000 year old human civilization at the apex of its power, represented by Trantor the eternal shining city. They did a decent job but it didn't come across as a mind blowing human achievement, just a regular future-city. The space elevator shit was super cool, as was the triumvirate Emperors.

There is a GREAT bit part by a beloved Star Trek actor in episode 1, no spoilers but when you see it you'll be like "fuck yeah!". Worth watching episode 1 alone for that imo.

I'll stick to the end, unlike say Y the Last man so far I don't find it getting cloyingly stupid or annoying, but I wish it was a little better. The story is a bit janky, sometimes it tries to be sci fi and then sometimes it tries to be Tyler Perry black romantic drama and its just weird the shifts in tone.

I don't care too much about the race and gender swaps of "the main character" but damn its annoying that she is a founding member of the itty bitty titty committee. If you are gonna gender swap, at least give me something nice to look at

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just watched the first 2 episodes, now I haven’t read the books. I know who Isaac Asimov is, I had heard of the Foundation series and how it was a l’aimer but that’s the extent of it. So my opinion is based exclusively on the TV Show itself, gender and race swap doesn’t affect as I don’t know the original characters, neither does any deviation from the books since I didn’t read them.

With that out of the way, I enjoyed the first episode…first because of the production values, show looks gorgeous, music is great, acting was pretty good etc. Second was the setup, the idea of psychohistory a science that can predict society’s future based on mathematics is interesting especially since it’s not proven…coupled that with the nature of the prediction itself and you have a very compelling setup that made me very interested and intrigued about where they will go.

Then the second episode happened and it fell apart for me for the most part. It felt like they didn’t know where to go, the story barely advanced. There was a bunch of side stuff happening that wasn’t that interesting, some of it is setting future things I guess so we’ll if the payoff will make it worth it. I don’t understand the ending, and I’m curious to see where they are going with it.

So all in all started great and went downhill fast, but still interest because it showed potential.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
As a book reeader, this isn’t foundation. It’s based on foundation. there are bits and pieces of the book, and some important bits, but way, way too much deviation and completely new material. I am disappointed.

Non book readers may enjoy this much more

• 3Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
No worries, man. I'm certain these super talented hollywood script writers can do WAY better than some rando hack sci-fi author no one has ever heard of.

/sarcasm

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
this should have been an ensemble cast, with Hari being the only constant.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know the books came out prior to terrorism and shit but lol at the level of security on a thousand mile tall space elevator.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Are there enough BIPOC in this or am i a Nazi for watching it?

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I haven't read the books, and watched the first two episodes. Episode 1 is pretty good, and it's worth watching for the Space Elevator alone. The end of episode 2 felt jump the sharky, but we'll see when the rest of the episodes come out. This show does make me want to read the book(s) now, but not until I see the first season at least.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
Are there enough BIPOC in this or am i a Nazi for watching it?

dont worry only black people are in the future, except for bad guys who are white men

also in the future women lose their tits, babies get milk from robots i think

• 1Worf

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
dont worry only black people are in the future, except for bad guys who are white men

also in the future women lose their tits, babies get milk from robots i think

"dont worry only black people are in the future, except for bad guys who are white men"
Well its hollywood everyone expected that.

"also in the future women lose their tits, babies get milk from robots i think"
WTF kind of dystopian bullshit is this? Is this a joke? Is this a troll? are we jokes to you? Is this in the books?
I own the books but will never read them if Asimov takes away tits.