Foundation

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The special effects in this are surprisingly well done - movie-like quality. And the dude playing Empire (Day) is fucking killing it. I'll keep watching for now.

He plays a good villian. First Ronan and now Day.

He was pretty badass in the Hobbit too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
To add to this, if anything, all they appear to encourage is further segregation. Compare Trek back in the late 60s where Kirk and Uhura kissed and present day where all black protagonists "stick with their own kind". The girl in this has a black lover, the lead in Discovery has a black lover, etc. I can't recall a time when you see a caucasian actor being a love interest for a black lead beyond maybe for eye-roll comedic effect.

That said, is that a case of the focus groups insisting on this or the studios thinking the world would lose their mind if there were more black/white pairings? If anything, the companies that make these shows are way less likely to try something risky compared to the past.

Bridgerton is the most watched Netflix show (ever) and had a black male lead with a white female lover.

Lucifer has a female black lesbian married to a white chick.

I don't watch them but I'd bet most of the CW teen superhero shows (Flash, Arrow, all the ones I have no idea what their names are) feature mixed race couples.

People on this forum mistake the target audience. There aren't so many black characters on TV now because the audience is black people. Its young white people who feel good about themselves if they watch non white people on screen, because TV characters tend to become "like friends" for people who are a bit lonely (which by definition is gonna be people who consume lots of TV). It makes them feel good to have "fake friends" who are diverse.

Its not really new, hip-hop/gangster rap was huge in the 90s not because black kids were buying NWA, it was suburban white kids who were rebelling against their parents taste in music.

For a while I thought asia might save us, since in the past they have tend to value homogeneity and such, but unfortunately China more or less decided to make everything domestic only and not allow foreign propaganda/entertainment.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The one thing that really fucking bothers me about this show is how hard they are trying to "sexualize" Gaal. I literally thought she was 14, so them constantly showing shots of her ass in the pool is fuckin' creepy.

But, it's Hollywood and pedos gonna pedo, I guess...

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Pedophilia is not a choice.
It's always been a normal and healthy lifestyle.

Child love is still love

nu_11

Yeah. I was creeped out in episode 2 when that guy and that young looking girl were getting romantic.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'm not finding Gaal very likable. And "counting primes' doesn't convince me she's some sort of mathematical genius.

That said I enjoyed the first couple of eps.

nu_11

I'm not finding Gaal very likable. And "counting primes' doesn't convince me she's some sort of mathematical genius.

She’s not “counting primes” she’s iterating through primes.

Counting would be indexing the primes as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, …

Iterating primes would be 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, …

spronk

FPS noob

yeah the prime shit was dumb as fuck, especially when she realizes she made a mistake. REALLY, AN EVEN NUMBER IS NOT PRIME? WHAT A MATHEMATICAL GENIUS

i do enjoy the backstory though of her planet being full of savages who burn scientists, but they are all people of color. At least some small bit of realism. Was weird how they were cool with a spaceship taking one of their own away, you'd think they would totally Taliban that planet up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
yeah the prime shit was dumb as fuck, especially when she realizes she made a mistake. REALLY, AN EVEN NUMBER IS NOT PRIME? WHAT A MATHEMATICAL GENIUS

i do enjoy the backstory though of her planet being full of savages who burn scientists, but they are all people of color. At least some small bit of realism. Was weird how they were cool with a spaceship taking one of their own away, you'd think they would totally Taliban that planet up.

You ever watch pitch meetings?

He will say something dumb ass hell, the exe will point it out and ask why...

"So the movie can happen". It was just bullshit to make her THE GREATEST MATH EVAR, with no care for how inconsistent it was.

It's why I resent this shit instantly instead of:
It's just replacing the main character
It's just changing the plot a little
It's just changing the first chapter a little
It's just coincidence all the white guys suck
It's just blah blah blah blah blah

It's never *just* anything with this cult bullshit, it's a never ending creep.

Been several days since I watched the two first episodes, and I like them less now than I did right after watching it

• 1Solidarity

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

This was something I appreciated as a rare moment of non-wokeness.

They had the black chicks planet pretty much all black. They had one of the planets having a meeting with the Emperor, all albino/white/blue eyes. Actual differences instead of making each planet a "beautiful rainbow of diversity" where the audience is supposed to somehow not question why everyone ended up a different color.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I was kinda "blah" on the show until Day went fucking ham on those traitorous fucks. That scene with the hangings and bombardments were A+.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was surprised the guy who is like "I want all that future with you" fires her off in an escape pod directly into an asteroid field / accretion disk whatever. Unless the pod has some sort of avoidance capability, her chances of survival are miniscule.

Brother day is easily my favorite character, even if he is Marie Antoinette'ing himself into the fall of the empire as fast as he can with how out of touch he is. The orbital bombardment is cool visually but I don't see how anyone with a firm grasp on reality thinks genocide will stave off the fall.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
There is zero concern b/c we already know she is the ninja warrior bitch walking around on Terminus.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
There is zero concern b/c we already know she is the ninja warrior bitch walking around on Terminus.
I thought dinger ninja had a completely different name? Plus, it's something like 35 years later on Terminus when we see her. She doesn't look nearly old enough if we're to assume Gaal is 20ish, prior to Terminus landfall.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I guess black ninja Mary Sue might be the product of kid fucking...

I prolly missed some stuff in the beginning of the first episode trying to explain the premise to my wife.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
the black chick on terminus isnt the same one?

they need to wear name tags or something

• 1Worf