Foundation

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
This is a good show, dont be mean.
We should be thankful to have good SF shows, even if they are not the greatest.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm mostly enjoying this but the one thing I find particularly jarring are the numbers they keep flinging around. Like, 100 million people died when X happened, or 30 trillion people depend on this, etc.

I get they're going for some grand scale but in case of the first example I just don't see how that figure could be possible and as to the second these numbers are just too damn large for my ape brain to contemplate so find another way to refer to it, like say 5 galaxies of something.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah, I don't think they did a really good job at showing Trantor as a planet that is fully covered up by tech and has dug into the Earth with multiple levels, where most people never, ever step foot on the surface or see the sun. Everyone is agoraphobic, its even a plot point how kids have to be taken up on the elevator once a year to go "outside" to be more human. In the books I don't think there is even a space elevator, instead there are thousands of elevators that takes you from the underground tiered levels up to the surface.

I don't think the bombing of the elevator is a thing in the book either, but I don't remember.

Weirdly enough Star Wars did a better job of showing how huge Coruscant was in the prequels and animated shows, how there were hundreds of levels underground where most people lived, how each level was very different from the others, etc. Foundation did a pretty bad job of that so far. Everything about Trantor was a bit wrong/off, except the space elevator was awesome and there were 1-2 shots that sorta showed how unique and central the Imperial Palace and Gardens were. But then it looked like the palace was surrounded by shanty-town, which is way wrong.

I like the show so far and am willing to roll with it, any criticisms are really minor things that are more like "...well, thats not how >I< imagined it" but that doesn't mean I was right. To see an absolute shit show of a translation just watch Y the last man, its a train wreck.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Gratuitous changes irritate the hell out of me.

Might wait for when ever this bitch is gone and check back on the next period.

Why the fuck the nonstop love story?
The emperor had a robot?
Seldon left trantor?
I thought the foundation was a secret?
No nods to the second foundation, but we get a fucking robot?..

I can't remember what is consistent from the books... But shit is nagging at me.

Once this shit threw the ideology in my face, I'm not likely to ignore it going forward...

Definitely loaded some "white dudes are creepy and awkward!" and "brown dudes are smooth and sexy" shit pretty early.

It's fucking tiresome

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They had a little blurb about how "deep" Trantor was, including how the skies are fake.

spronk

FPS noob
to be the fair the robot is actually consistent with the books, except it was introduced in the 1980s, by Asimov himself, in a series of post-Foundation books he wrote to unify the I, Robot series with Foundation.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
"They had a little blurb about how "deep" Trantor was, including how the skies are fake."

Yes, but show, dont tell.
The spaceships looked good, the orbital bombardment looked great, Hary Seldon role was competently played, the Emperors were good, dont know why you guys are hating on this show already.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
"They had a little blurb about how "deep" Trantor was, including how the skies are fake."

Yes, but show, dont tell.
The spaceships looked good, the orbital bombardment looked great, Hary Seldon role was competently played, the Emperors were good, dont know why you guys are hating on this show already.
No, I agree that they didn't do a great job about showing it (they did a brief showing of the "digital sky"). But, they at least sorta mentioned it.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This is a good show, dont be mean.
We should be thankful to have good SF shows, even if they are not the greatest.

lol I hope you're being sarcastic

"only consume, do not criticize, be thankful"

pathetic

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
its at the level of Expanse or Shadow and Bone. If simply having non white people in a futuristic (Foundation is set 11000 years in the future) bothers you, well, probably not a whole lot of TV is gonna be watchable. There aren't any groanable "BECAUSE OF THE PATRIARCHY" or "TRANS PEOPLE HAVE RIGHTS TOO" moments so far. Its Apple TV+ so even sex is pretty defanged, the most we get is some underwear simulated sex.

I like the show so far, just 2 episodes so its hard to really get a firm opinion on it, but you can tell the million ways it coulda been better. It hasn't instantly grabbed me the way Game of Thrones or Expanse or Mandalorian did. It could get there, or it could turn into a mess. It definitely has that feel of a show that WANTS to be as big as Game of Thrones, but it feels inorganic in its rush to be "huge".

Given that huge budget sci fi shows are still a bit of a rarity, the only way to support the show is to simply watch on Apple TV+ so I'm doing that. I wish they had made season 1 about the backstory of Empire and Hari Seldon and the prodigy and the setup of the world, instead they do that bizarre thing where we see stuff happening (Salvor Hardin, gender swapped) then we flashback to 35 years in the past and its really muddled and a bit confusing. I guess the showrunner wants to tell a story in a specific way, and I hope it works out.

Apparently the show runner has 8 seasons (!!) of Foundation already mapped out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
lol I hope you're being sarcastic

"only consume, do not criticize, be thankful"

pathetic
conform.jpg

consume.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Uhh, I did not say that.
Criticize shows like Batwoman, aberations that do not deserve to exist.
This show is not in that category, that is all I am saying.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
There aren't any groanable "BECAUSE OF THE PATRIARCHY" or "TRANS PEOPLE HAVE RIGHTS TOO" moments so far.

There have been, it's just not on the nose.

Why was the evil super agent spy such an intrusive clown? Typical whiteness.

Same shit with Seldon.

The bitch is already Mary Sue'ing shit.

It's not offensively in your face like a trans kids tick tock, but it's there.

If you guys think this show didn't have an entire diversity and inclusion panel guiding it, you haven't been paying attention

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
If simply having non white people in a futuristic (Foundation is set 11000 years in the future) bothers you, well, probably not a whole lot of TV is gonna be watchable.
Its really frustrating that even the non-woke say stuff like this.

Literally no one gives a shit about or objects to having non-white people in sci fi settings. Literally zero people. We can make a poll if this is a contentious point, but I dont think it is.

I can sit here and list examples of how its been done right and how its been done wrong but we don't need a wall of text, its all really really simple: if you want to make a show about a black chick, find a story about a black chick. Guess what? They exist. If your story is about a white dude, then cast a fucking white dude.

Anything less is offensively stupid, deliberate wokeness, BIPOC for the sake of BIPOC, and should be universally condemned. As it would be by any observer whose artistic integrity is greater than their desire to look like a nice guy in front of all the woke Karens out there.

• 3Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Show looks great, the scenes on trantor are all wonderful.
end of ep2 came out of nowhere, assume it's all part of Hari's plan

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its really frustrating that even the non-woke say stuff like this.

Literally no one gives a shit about or objects to having non-white people in sci fi settings. Literally zero people. We can make a poll if this is a contentious point, but I dont think it is.

I can sit here and list examples of how its been done right and how its been done wrong but we don't need a wall of text, its all really really simple: if you want to make a show about a black chick, find a story about a black chick. Guess what? They exist. If your story is about a white dude, then cast a fucking white dude.

Anything less is offensively stupid, deliberate wokeness, BIPOC for the sake of BIPOC, and should be universally condemned. As it would be by any observer whose artistic integrity is greater than their desire to look like a nice guy in front of all the woke Karens out there.

To add to this, if anything, all they appear to encourage is further segregation. Compare Trek back in the late 60s where Kirk and Uhura kissed and present day where all black protagonists "stick with their own kind". The girl in this has a black lover, the lead in Discovery has a black lover, etc. I can't recall a time when you see a caucasian actor being a love interest for a black lead beyond maybe for eye-roll comedic effect.

That said, is that a case of the focus groups insisting on this or the studios thinking the world would lose their mind if there were more black/white pairings? If anything, the companies that make these shows are way less likely to try something risky compared to the past.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The special effects in this are surprisingly well done - movie-like quality. And the dude playing Empire (Day) is fucking killing it. I'll keep watching for now.