Free Guy (2020)

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
not what I expected, its a rom-com with a Fortnite/GTA skin instead of a focused video game movie. Its ok, I was bored for most of it. Great for a watch at home, I'd probably be pissed if I saw it in theaters. The first 30 minutes remind me a lot of the first Lego Movie but after that its a Hallmark rom-com.

The most surprising thing was some of the weapon/skin cameos in the end, that musta been an interesting licensing trick although its really just 3-4 extremely minor things, vs the 40+ random ass things that was in ready player, one. The movie is super predictable and formulaic. A bunch of streamers keep making cameos and I just found it all grating and annoying as fuck.

I really wish Taiko Waititi would stop acting, it was cute once or twice but now he is just an annoying cunt.
Lego movie is exactly what I thought too

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed it for what it was. The cameo from Chris Evans made the movie and had me lol.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Entertaining enough but super unoriginal. The best part was probably the romcom feelsy part at the end when Guy is like 'im a love letter to you', but then that kinda falls flat immediately when you remember that the love interest is an unsympathetic twat who didn't have the heroine's back for the first half of the movie.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Entertaining enough but super unoriginal. The best part was probably the romcom feelsy part at the end when Guy is like 'im a love letter to you', but then that kinda falls flat immediately when you remember that the love interest is an unsympathetic twat who didn't have the heroine's back for the first half of the movie.
i think thats what held this movie back from being really good. its alright as is, but why did they cuck out the boyfriend and what was that shit about white privilege from his friend? also why doesnt the boyriend look nothing like Ryan Reynolds? like why implant all your feelings in a character that doesnt resemble you?

• 1Picard

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
like why implant all your feelings in a character that doesnt resemble you?
Dude...If I was in his shoes, my character would look like fucking Ragnar Lothbrook from Vikings, crazy eyes and all. Half of the closet femmes on this forum always play female characters. Your avatar is often who you'd WANT to be. Anything other than that is normally going to be for the lulz.

1633444967292.png

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Dude...If I was in his shoes, my character would look like fucking Ragnar Lothbrook from Vikings, crazy eyes and all. Half of the closet femmes on this forum always play female characters. Your avatar is often who you'd WANT to be. Anything other than that is normally going to be for the lulz.

View attachment 375713
of course, i get all that. although my EQ avatar on my shaman was the closest i could get to what i looked like in real life , back in 99. the char in Free Guy wasnt even a playable char. it was a rando NPC that only function is getting down on the floor when the bank gets robbed. it should at least look something like the boyfriend. dark hair at least.

• 1Picard

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
i think thats what held this movie back from being really good. its alright as is, but why did they cuck out the boyfriend and what was that shit about white privilege from his friend? also why doesnt the boyriend look nothing like Ryan Reynolds? like why implant all your feelings in a character that doesnt resemble you?

He wasn't supposed to the guy's avatar. He just used the girlfriend as a template for what Reynolds was supposed to be longing for in a woman.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
also why doesnt the boyriend look nothing like Ryan Reynolds? like why implant all your feelings in a character that doesnt resemble you?

The Guy npc look was designed by the Free City art team. Cuckboy specifically states that he doesn't look the same but his code is the code he wrote for the "lovelorn" npc in their indie game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This show should have been a steaming pile of shit, but somehow it wasn't.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I watched this a second time tonight. Wow, it did not hold up at all for a second viewing. I was comparing it to Ready Player One the first time I saw it. That was a horrible misrepresentation. Ugh.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So I watched this a second time tonight. Wow, it did not hold up at all for a second viewing. I was comparing it to Ready Player One the first time I saw it. That was a horrible misrepresentation. Ugh.
I did the second time thing too, this time with a blue ray copy. It didnt get better. Still makes me wonder if his black security guard friend is mega gay or that he just really likes Guy a lot.

j00t

hot take: ready player one (the movie at least) was hot garbage. it was easter egg: the movie. it was literally just, let's cram as many recognizable ip's in this so that people will be too busy clapping at their nostalgia feels to pay attention to how awful everything else is.

the two biggest flaws with free guy are that A) it's a rom-com wrapped in a bonkers premise and B) they don't lean into the bonkers premise nearly enough throughout the movie.

on top of that all the actors keep talking about how it's a brand new ip not based on anything, which is super disingenuous. it's TECHNICALLY correct, which is obviously the best kind of correct, but it's absolutely not a new premise. on top of that it's CLEARLY just gta online but not a SINGLE person references that as any kind of inspiration.

/rant

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
hot take: ready player one (the movie at least) was hot garbage. it was easter egg: the movie. it was literally just, let's cram as many recognizable ip's in this so that people will be too busy clapping at their nostalgia feels to pay attention to how awful everything else is.
Sidebar: Where in the everliving fuck did Ben Mendelsohn come from?!
1634572888624.png

I remember seeing him in "Killing Them Softly" where he was a filthy degenerate (and played it really well), then within a year or two he's in absolutely fucking everything. Mississippi Grind, Ready Player One, Star-Fucking-Wars.....

I've hated him in pretty much everything OTHER than KTS so I don't get how the hell his career exploded so quickly. Does his breath smell like Weinstein's ballbag or something?!

• 1Picard

j00t

View attachment 377810

I remember seeing him in "Killing Them Softly" where he was a filthy degenerate (and played it really well), then within a year or two he's in absolutely fucking everything. Mississippi Grind, Ready Player One, Star-Fucking-Wars.....

I've hated him in pretty much everything OTHER than KTS so I don't get how the hell his career exploded so quickly. Does his breath smell like Weinstein's ballbag or something?!
I uh.... Yeah, no you're right. Dude just apparated into stardom. I don't mind him, but I don't think he's necessarily good enough to be cast in all these tentpole movies.

Maybe he carries himself like a star, but because he ISNT one, he doesn't come with the huge pricetag...

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Ready Player One being described as a bad movie should not be considered a hot take. It's overrated trash and never hear it brought up outside of foh

• 1Solidarity

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
View attachment 377810

I believe he has been a big actor in Australia since the late 90s-early 2000s, then he got roles in The Dark Knight Rises, Place Beyone the Pines and Bloodline for Netflix. then it was all up from there for him.