Freedom of the Press: DOJ wins order to force NYT Reporter to testify against source

Juvarisx

Florida
Will be interesting to see this one go to the Supreme Court because its bigger then just a simple "assault" on the press. If reporters cannot make news of leaked classified information without reveling their source that avenue of leaks will quickly dry up. To be honest I am surprised it took this long for a case to get as far as this one has.

On the flip side:

"Risen is the only eyewitness to the crime," Judge Traxler wrote. "He is inextricably involved in it. Without him, the alleged crime would not have occurred, since he was the recipient of illegally disclosed, classified information."

I believe this is the real reason it was even appealed in the first place, and it looks like the judges agreed with them. Not taking sides, I think reporters being able to publish classified information they get from a "source" without reprieve is not always a good thing in some cases (obviously concerning undercover CIA agents, war plans etc). In this case I believe its a CIA operative being charged under the espionage act, so its not a simple oh its some guy reporting about PRISIM toss em in the brink.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol poor new york times? thats a good one. anyway. the reporter may have to show up but he can easily refrain from giving up his source. a good reporter will consider it a badge of honor to do jail time on a contempt of court charge protecting their source

iannis

Musty Nester
Ooooh, it's a sticky widget.

Mass Media has to make this sort of situation uglier than it used to be. You know this isn't the first time this has ever happened, but it had to have been easier to deal with when news came through newspapers and a 12-48 hour delay. You know, take a dude into a smoke filled room and say, "We need to know who told you that, and we'll claim to have gotten that information from somewhere else, AND we'll NOT beat you to death! Win/win/win!".

sticky sticky widget.

iannis

Musty Nester
TBH if it's the choice I've got to make I'd rather live with Zimmerman trials every month than with that shit they've got going on in Russia.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ive never understood why press should get immunity from these things. Before you're an idiot and spout "FREEDOM OF THE PRESS IS IN DUR CONSTETITIOUN", know that what was defined as "Press" in constitutional times is very different from the modern meaning, and additionally, I'm an extremely firm believer that laws should apply equally to everyone. I have a fundamental and extremely strong disbelief in a system that offers any certain people special privilege under the law.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I have a fundamental and extremely strong disbelief in a system that offers any certain people special privilege under the law.
So you should be up in arms over the fact that the DOJ is not going after reporters that reported favorable leaks. Right?

Szlia

I have a fundamental and extremely strong disbelief in a system that offers any certain people special privilege under the law.
These privileges exist to ensure some people can perform their function in society without being easily hindered by malevolent agents. A free press is a critical piece in the check and balance system that is a democracy, so there are legal privileges to ensure its existence.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
These privileges exist to ensure some people can perform their function in society without being easily hindered by malevolent agents. A free press is a critical piece in the check and balance system that is a democracy, so there are legal privileges to ensure its existence.
Free press in the constitution refers to the freedom to print and have a complete and uninterrupted discourse on everything political- justified or non justified. Why should people on the news get additional privilege that others do not?

You seem to be an idiot that thinks I am against this freedom. I'm not even slightly. What I'm against is extending this freedom only to the press. Everyone should have the same right, and anything short is fundamentally against the constitution.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Ive never understood why press should get immunity from these things. Before you're an idiot and spout "FREEDOM OF THE PRESS IS IN DUR CONSTETITIOUN", know that what was defined as "Press" in constitutional times is very different from the modern meaning, and additionally, I'm an extremely firm believer that laws should apply equally to everyone. I have a fundamental and extremely strong disbelief in a system that offers any certain people special privilege under the law.
So you place 0 worry about a system being corrupt and the only way to change that system like perpetual secrecy oaths is to break that oath? in the end law is man made and in it's worst can have all the worst aspects of man.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So you place 0 worry about a system being corrupt and the only way to change that system like perpetual secrecy oaths is to break that oath? in the end law is man made and in it's worst can have all the worst aspects of man.
Again, you're arguing against an opinion I dont have.

Everyone should get this protection.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
what if the world isn't ideal though, because it never really will be is my point, what's the release valve mechanism for a corrupt system in this ideology?

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Do you bring the scrutiny to the 2nd ammendment as well?