Freedom of the Press: DOJ wins order to force NYT Reporter to testify against source

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Heh its easier to deny the scandal because if you admitted there is one then you would have to actually react to it.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
The American People don't seem to mind the coming Police State.
"The group said the results show that Americans are increasingly willing ?to give up their rights and freedoms in return for greater security when they feel threatened.?

Considering "When they feel threatened" has little to no connection to "When they actually are threatened" and is highly (and intentionally) influenced by popular media, we shouldn't be allowing people to give up their freedoms for any reason. I don't give a shit if people are picketing the streets with "Check my email, keep me safe" signs, constitutionally preserved rights are not supposed to be subject to negotiation. The Zimmerman trial has shown how little attention people actually pay to what's going on, yet we're going to keep losing freedoms because we "feel scared"? Disgusting.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Heh its easier to deny the scandal because if you admitted there is one then you would have to actually react to it.
It isn't a scandal because they were auditing democrat and republican pac's but it's easier to be upset than to be informed, which goes back to claiming people here aren't upset at Obama, you are just willfully ignorant and to god damn lazy to fucking read.

You should stick to giving absolutely fucking shit ass opinions about movies.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I'll see your Salon link and raise you a townhall link:

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybens...roups-n1627588
Are we to believe that as the latter assumption calcified in the public's imagination, the IRS and its defenders chose not to disclose the other side of the story? Remember,lefty groups hadalready statedthat they weren't targeted, evidence abounds that left-leaning applicationssailed throughwhile righty applications languished, the Inspector General's report clearly showed a distinctideological imbalance, and Stephen Millerconceded under oaththat right-leaning groups were exclusively victimized by the practice. The IRS admitted andapologized fortheir disparate treatment of conservatives,for crying out loud. So why, after all of that, are we finally being informed that liberal groups were ensnared in the scandal, too?
A November 2010version of the listobtained by National Review Online, however, suggests that while the list did contain the word ?progressive,? screeners were in fact instructed to treat ?progressive? groups differently from ?tea party? groups.Whereas screeners were merely alerted that a designation of 501(c)(3) status ?may not be appropriate? for applications containing the word ?progressive? ? 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from conducting any political activities ? they were told to send those of tea-party groups off IRS higher-ups for further scrutiny.That means the applications of progressive groups could be approved on the spot by line agents, while those of tea-party groups could not. Furthermore, the November 2010 list noted that tea-party cases were ?currently being coordinated with EOT,? which stands for Exempt Organizations Technical, a group of tax lawyers in Washington, D.C. Those of progressive groups were not.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffre...thats-old-news
The Big Three networks have also ignored this week?snewsthat tax records of political candidates (including one-time GOP Senate candidateChristine O?Donnell) and certain donors were improperly accessed by government officials, and that the Justice Department has, so far, refused to prosecute the offenders.
Nothing to see here, move along.
rrr_img_37179.jpg

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
the irs was doing literally what nixon got in trouble for, talk about moving the goal posts.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
"The group said the results show that Americans are increasingly willing "to give up their rights and freedoms in return for greater security when they feel threatened."

Considering "When they feel threatened" has little to no connection to "When they actually are threatened" and is highly (and intentionally) influenced by popular media, we shouldn't be allowing people to give up their freedoms for any reason. I don't give a shit if people are picketing the streets with "Check my email, keep me safe" signs, constitutionally preserved rights are not supposed to be subject to negotiation. The Zimmerman trial has shown how little attention people actually pay to what's going on, yet we're going to keep losing freedoms because we "feel scared"? Disgusting.
that is what i observe and be astonished with what americans now stand for.your rights are being destroyed every day but mostly don't fuckin care.WHY?!what happened?is this due to 9/11,terrorism and so on?

iannis

Musty Nester
Well, Nixon got in trouble for authorizing felonious acts. The IRS scandal is a smaller order scandal than that. The IRS is more guilty of poor judgement than criminal offenses.

I mean honestly, the tea party and "conservative movement" has blossomed. It's unrealistic to think that a good portion of the organizations created around that political movementaren'ttransparently fraudulent. It is one of the functions of the IRS to find that sort of fraud.

The problem is more in how they were doing what they were doing, less in what they were doing. They cast too wide a net which easily lends the appearance of systemic intimidation.

The IRS was basically engaging in racial profiling. Scandalous, and something that should stop. At the same time not something to get super titty-hurt about. Remove the man who signed the papers, narrow the search, proceed.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Well, Nixon got in trouble for authorizing felonious acts. The IRS scandal is a smaller order scandal than that. The IRS is more guilty of poor judgement than criminal offenses.

I mean honestly, the tea party and "conservative movement" has blossomed. It's unrealistic to think that a good portion of the organizations created around that political movementaren'ttransparently fraudulent. It is one of the functions of the IRS to find that sort of fraud.

The problem is more in how they were doing what they were doing, less in what they were doing. They cast too wide a net which easily lends the appearance of systemic intimidation.

The IRS was basically engaging in racial profiling. Scandalous, and something that should stop. At the same time not something to get super titty-hurt about. Remove the man who signed the papers, narrow the search, proceed.
The whole scandal thing goes away when you realize they were targeting democrat groups as well, something hard for mouth breathers like ASTROCREEP to figure out.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Liberal groups seeking tax-exempt status faced less IRS scrutiny than Tea Party groups, according to the Treasury Department's inspector general.

Read more:http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-mone...#ixzz2ZkWwziIa

The letter also adds a new twist to an IRS controversy that still has only seemed to get more muddy this week, and still has major unanswered questions - includingwhy the targeting of groups went on for so long and why IRS officials declined to inform Congress.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3509983.html

J. Russell George: No Sign Progressives Were Mistreated By IRS

Nonetheless, George wrote that "additional research" by his investigators found that of 298 applicants for tax-exempt status that the IRS flagged for possible political involvement between 2010 and 2012, six had "progress" or "progressive" in their names. Another 14 cases with "progress" or "progressive" in the group's name were not sidetracked for additional examination, he wrote.

Thirty percentof such groups got special attentionbecause of possible political work, George wrote.

"In comparison, our audit found that100 percentof the tax-exempt applications with Tea Party, Patriots or 9/12 in their names were processed" for potential political activity, he said.

http://swampland.time.com/2013/06/26...ve-groups-too/

On Monday, Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee released 15 BOLO lists, which changed over time and were dated between August 2010 and April 2013. The lists included the terms "Progressive," "Medical Marijuana," "Occupied Territory Advocacy," "Healthcare legislation," "Newspaper Entities" and "Paying National Debt."

The revelation that such a wide array of groups may have received extra scrutiny is threatening to undercut the narrative of some Republican lawmakers that the IRS targeted enemies of the president during last year's presidential election.

Kraushaar, however, noted that the term"tea party" included instructions to forwardsuch cases to other agents for additional review. There were no such instructions accompanying the term "Progressive," she said.

None of the progressive groups where treated to secondary harrasment and yes some progressive groups got in the main dragnet but thePROGRESSIVES WEREN'T TARGETED 100% AND TREATED TO SECONDARY HARASSMENTlike the tea party groups where,that's what "targetting" means.

Yes it's fox news but it is.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The whole scandal thing goes away when you realize they were targeting democrat groups as well, something hard for mouth breathers like ASTROCREEP to figure out.
I don't know who's feeding you this FUD but it isn't the case.

The IRS scandal is a good litmus test for reasonableness. Any democrat/progressive who is not bothered/troubled/unsettled by the misconduct of the IRS in this instance is a democrat/progressive who is untroubled by a one-party totalitarian state and isn't worth arguing politics with.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider

The IRS scandal is a good litmus test for reasonableness. Any democrat/progressive who is not bothered/troubled/unsettled by the misconduct of the IRS in this instance is a democrat/progressive who is untroubled by a one-party totalitarian state and isn't worth arguing politics with.
But they "targeted" progressive groups as well. Case closed. No need to look any closer.

I honestly don't know if this is the scandal it's been made out to be, but there's definitely enough evidence that this needs to be looked at closer. Anyone who tries to blow it off has been watching too much Daily Show and reading too much Salon - i.e. they're holding on to their manufactured talking points and laughing at herp-derp republitards.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
But they "targeted" progressive groups as well. Case closed. No need to look any closer.

I honestly don't know if this is the scandal it's been made out to be, but there's definitely enough evidence that this needs to be looked at closer. Anyone who tries to blow it off has been watching too much Daily Show and reading too much Salon - i.e. they're holding on to their manufactured talking points and laughing at herp-derp republitards.
To be honest I believe this is closer to standard practice than reality, I bet when repubs where there it was just as bad, but the reason why that shouldn't exist is the same reason the green party can't get on the ballot, The real problem really is about D vs R it's about IRS vs USA.

notice it's tea party people and not republicans, the tea party probably represents a headache to the ruling class that exists in both parties, the ruling class are the ones that have real power vs the junior or marginalized members of their party.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

This is just retarded.

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not sure why the IRS thing is even a big deal. The fact is, during the time this was done the Tea Party movement was in full swing. The tea party movements that were around applied for a special tax status that would allow donors to remain anonymous. The person who was responsible for this did so for categorization and organizing purposes - a excess of 50 groups applied I believe. Not a single tea party pac got denied.

On the flip side, a progressive group did get denied for this special status.

I haven't heard anything else to the contrary. We have real scandals going on yet the IRS thing keeps being brought up. For example, in order to get around certain legal statuses for PRISM and its sister programs, the US useshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AUSCANNZUKUS, eg other countries' resources in order to sift through data that isn't apart of their homeland, then send back all information of interest back to the homeland's intelligence agencies?

It should be the biggest overreach since watergate on a exponential scale. Yet we have fools that downplay this like a worldwide dragnet that crosses beyond nation's civil liberties and sovereignty is a shoulder shrug worthy event.

Supplemental reading.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...on-you/277190/

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Did you miss my post? it's 5 above this one I used colors and stuff to attract the eye. it's not like you can't have more than 1 scandal at one time. Yes tea party groups where targeted beyond normal drag netting for extra harassment and no that's not kosher.

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Did you miss my post? it's 5 above this one I used colors and stuff to attract the eye. it's not like you can't have more than 1 scandal at one time. Yes tea party groups where targeted beyond normal drag netting for extra harassment and no that's not kosher.
And under this 'extra scrutiny' can you name a single tea party group who was denied due to it? I keep seeing harassment in what you wrote, but did this process substantially delay or hither the application process?

Also:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...aring/2551339/

7/14

WASHINGTON - The federal investigator who concluded that the Internal Revenue Service inappropriately targeted Tea Party groups said Thursday the tax agency had failed to give him documents showing progressive groups were subjected to similar screenings.

J. Russell George, who serves as an IRS watchdog at the U.S. Treasury, told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that only last week did his office receive documents showing the term "progressive" was used to flag cases for additional review.

"The moment I became aware that other groups were spotlighted by the IRS, I directed my staff to commence review of that," George said.

"I am very disturbed that these documents were not provided to our auditors at the outset," he said. "They were not provided during our audit, even though similar documents that list 'Tea Party' . were."
This was written a week and a half after your thehill article. He basically backtracked on what he is said earlier.