From

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Caught up on this and it is some hybrid of Lost and The Leftovers. At least in this they aren't even trying to find an explanation for anything (for the most part) and constantly offering more and more mystery. I mean, it does do that, but they're all mostly related. Lost was just random new stuff after new stuff. Here there's just some strange stuff going down. Walt's dad is still walking around accomplishing nothing. They may as well have made him the same character for Lost and created some crossover universe where this guy gets continually screwed show after show.

Jade's relationship with Tiger Mom was probably the best part. And the point made in the post above. They need a plotline where they try to capture one of the things and see what happens to it when the sun comes out.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Caught up on this and it is some hybrid of Lost and The Leftovers. At least in this they aren't even trying to find an explanation for anything (for the most part) and constantly offering more and more mystery. I mean, it does do that, but they're all mostly related. Lost was just random new stuff after new stuff. Here there's just some strange stuff going down. Walt's dad is still walking around accomplishing nothing. They may as well have made him the same character for Lost and created some crossover universe where this guy gets continually screwed show after show.

Jade's relationship with Tiger Mom was probably the best part. And the point made in the post above. They need a plotline where they try to capture one of the things and see what happens to it when the sun comes out.
As you saw in the first couple episodes of this season - the weirdo said, and points at the ones sleeping under the town in that cave network. Would they burn like vampires if they saw sun? Or would you just see their "true" form, which can be seen in the caves but not when theyre walking around.

Another thing is - do they only eat the living? Why do they ignore dead people, or in episodes 2 of season 2, people that appear dead?
Since season 1 is off the spoilers list at this point - the real mystery in my opinion is.. who the fk was on the radio at the end of the season? What is up with the clown puppet oddly sitting and moving to random locations? What the hell is all that horn blaring shit in the woods? etc. etc. In season 1, I was thinking this was some dimension between heaven, earth and hell - but some of the new stuff in season 2 has kind of blown ... at least to me, that theory out of the water.

I really dont want it to be like Lost or something because I dont want every explanation for whats happening in the show constantly goal post moving not for the sake of the story, but for the sake of keeping the show running. Complete the story and while you're doing that, spin up another one, if you want to keep the show going.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm perfectly fine with the whole thing being a The Mound or Mountains of Madness type situation. There doesn't really need to be a plausible explanation, so to speak, but a wholly supernatural explanation works for me as long as it is spelled out.

The horn I thought was related to the Lighthouse and the search through the woods. Of course it had to be a lighthouse after all the damn Bioshock stuff haha.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
I'm perfectly fine with the whole thing being a The Mound or Mountains of Madness type situation. There doesn't really need to be a plausible explanation, so to speak, but a wholly supernatural explanation works for me as long as it is spelled out.

The horn I thought was related to the Lighthouse and the search through the woods. Of course it had to be a lighthouse after all the damn Bioshock stuff haha.
I think the Fae theory still has the most legs, out of all the theories presented.

1. The monsters need to be invited in.

2. There is symbology and lore surrounding what they can and can't do, like talismans for protection etc.

3. Some sort of parallel reality that you can't leave.

4. Portals in trees.

Cept I've got no idea how the lighthouse factors into it yet, or what the blaring is. One thing it reminded me of though was Murkoff from Outlast 2, and how the whole thing was an experiment in mind control and they did so by blaring a sound from a distant tower.

Caliane

haven't seen s2 yet. not on amazon.

Thoughts on the horn. almost entirely from myths outside of the show.

>Rip Van Winkle, a Dutch-American man with a habit of avoiding useful work, lives in a village at the foot of New York's Catskill Mountains in the years before the American Revolution. One day, he goes squirrel hunting in the mountains with his dog Wolf to escape his wife's nagging. As evening falls, he hears a voice calling his name and finds a man dressed in antiquated Dutch clothing and carrying a keg. Rip helps the man carry his burden to a cleft in the rocks from which thunderous noises are emanating; the source proves to be a group of ornately-dressed (seemingly of distinctly colonial Dutch outfit) and bearded men playing nine-pins. Not asking who these men are or how they know his name, Rip joins them in drinking flagons of alcohol from the keg he has helped carry and soon becomes so intoxicated that he falls asleep.

"thunder" is associated with the rip van winkle story. nine-pins specifically. but it could be a similar idea. loud booming noises occur often in folklore. described in terms the locals can understand. what would a 1800's colonist think of a fog horn or air raid siren? would would a 1400's peasant?

Hunting horns associated with the Wild hunt.

lighthouse/horn. perhaps the Road is not the only way into the realm. A lighthouse/horn could be diverting boats to crash in a portal as well. Probably the simplest answer.
Perhaps answers the radio guy too. Theres a separate colony on a boat out there. A boat would have a radio.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
They're really committing to the Lost clone, new arrivals on bus = rear half of plane

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I dislike when characters dont inform the others about what they learned or discovered. Hey pops so you went through a tree, teleported, and then what. I found my way back in town son. Ok sounds good.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love the son doesn't believe the dad went into a tree and teleported somewhere - TOO FAR FETCHED. Dad you fucking liar.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
haven't seen s2 yet. not on amazon.

Thoughts on the horn. almost entirely from myths outside of the show.

>Rip Van Winkle, a Dutch-American man with a habit of avoiding useful work, lives in a village at the foot of New York's Catskill Mountains in the years before the American Revolution. One day, he goes squirrel hunting in the mountains with his dog Wolf to escape his wife's nagging. As evening falls, he hears a voice calling his name and finds a man dressed in antiquated Dutch clothing and carrying a keg. Rip helps the man carry his burden to a cleft in the rocks from which thunderous noises are emanating; the source proves to be a group of ornately-dressed (seemingly of distinctly colonial Dutch outfit) and bearded men playing nine-pins. Not asking who these men are or how they know his name, Rip joins them in drinking flagons of alcohol from the keg he has helped carry and soon becomes so intoxicated that he falls asleep.

"thunder" is associated with the rip van winkle story. nine-pins specifically. but it could be a similar idea. loud booming noises occur often in folklore. described in terms the locals can understand. what would a 1800's colonist think of a fog horn or air raid siren? would would a 1400's peasant?

Hunting horns associated with the Wild hunt.

lighthouse/horn. perhaps the Road is not the only way into the realm. A lighthouse/horn could be diverting boats to crash in a portal as well. Probably the simplest answer.
Perhaps answers the radio guy too. Theres a separate colony on a boat out there. A boat would have a radio.
Based on what we know, I still think the horn could be related to mind control. I know it's a random idea, but a similar thing was employed in Outlast 2 with the Murkoff corporation. A blaring sound came from the tower and kept the residents enthralled by illusions.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I love the son doesn't believe the dad went into a tree and teleported somewhere - TOO FAR FETCHED. Dad you fucking liar.
Right. Out of all the unbelievable shit happening - going into a magical teleporting tree is just too much? :honkler:

Based on what we know, I still think the horn could be related to mind control. I know it's a random idea, but a similar thing was employed in Outlast 2 with the Murkoff corporation. A blaring sound came from the tower and kept the residents enthralled by illusions.
Ive read the theory on ... reddit, I think? Where people think its all mind control. I dont understand how they can make the leap when talking about the monsters and such, but I guess in a fictional world - its plausible.

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I might be buying into the town and the show being self-aware mystery boxes right now. The only people who seem to remotely know what is going on are the little kid and Victor and the adults just keep overcomplicating things. It keeps feeling more and more like the Twilight Zone episode where the kid was basically God and created a living hell for anyone connected to him

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It keeps feeling more and more like the Twilight Zone episode where the kid was basically God and created a living hell for anyone connected to him

1683656079860.png

• 1Solidarity

Flattop

Trakanon Raider
I’m re-watching season1 with my gf and think I’m picking up clues:

there is data that when people are disoriented (say blindfolded) and do not know direction (like true north) , they walk in circles(in this case drive in circles back into town). I found this article written in 2009: When lost or disoriented, people really do walk in circles | TIME.com

Another interesting part of this article is where it states neurotransmitters play a role in this disorientation. Most all of the people who are seeing stuff have had major head trauma(Jade) or neurological trauma (Ethan had a seizure) or the Schizophrenic (Sara)- some type of brain disorder in all. We don’t really know what happened to Victor, he’s been there so long though.

My theory: There is a brief moment in Ep3 Season1 where Fatma opens the window at night and shows Julie the sky , and what we see is a Moon and a Star. I think if they were to follow that Star, it would lead them somewhere, like a North Star, giving true direction. They would have to do it night though. Good thing the monsters walk...

• 2Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider

there is data that when people are disoriented (say blindfolded) and do not know direction (like true north) , they walk in circles(in this case drive in circles back into town). I found this article written in 2009: When lost or disoriented, people really do walk in circles | TIME.com

Another interesting part of this article is where it states neurotransmitters play a role in this disorientation. Most all of the people who are seeing stuff have had major head trauma(Jade) or neurological trauma (Ethan had a seizure) or the Schizophrenic (Sara)- some type of brain disorder in all. We don’t really know what happened to Victor, he’s been there so long though.

My theory: There is a brief moment in Ep3 Season1 where Fatma opens the window at night and shows Julie the sky , and what we see is a Moon and a Star. I think if they were to follow that Star, it would lead them somewhere, like a North Star, giving true direction. They would have to do it night though. Good thing the monsters walk...
Good stuff and likely much better than whatever the writers have in mind.

Oldbased

> Than U
Prime cycles free trials for pretty much all the paid addons eventually.
Guessing after S2 ends MGM+ will come up again and that'll be the time to trial and binge.
I enjoyed S1 watched it over 2 days but by the end I found myself doing other things or skipped 30s at a time to move it along.

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>

Remind me if this runs contrary to the rules of From, but...

What would prevent someone from just making a run for it at night, since the monsters walk slowly and from what I've seen, they depend on people getting cornered or letting them inside.

Have we seen someone just attempt to make a run for it and outpace the monsters? Are there a finite supply of monsters, or do they just keep coming from all directions so you'd eventually run into a pack of them if you tried to run?

• 1Like

Flattop

Trakanon Raider
Here’s what I think

I think this has something to do with the Vikings. Google the talismans in the show and then google nordic runes and compare. I see runes for protection, earth/sea god , ancestors , Odin.

I believe the monsters are the Draugr (like Skyrim). There are multiple kinds, (old guy says the walkers are just the Tip) Check Wiki Draugr. A bunch of similarities with the myth and what we see on the show, some I noticed:

1. Live in burial mounds and protect treasure (we see this season2)

2. Torment the living, have yuge appetite

3. They rest sitting or standing

4. Communicate with living through dreams

5. Some have ability to change weather(the storm), probably a class of wizard Draugr.

I’m guessing if they followed the Star, the wizard would send a storm. I think this would be where the Lighthouse would come into play

Last edited:
  • 1Like