Frozen 2 (2019)

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This is why you can't go too crazy about opinions here on this particular movie. I would imagine a bunch of mostly middle aged men isn't the target audience. Apparently the kids like it though and Disney continues to print money with it.

Walt Disney Animation's Frozen 2 created a global blizzard in its box office debut, grossing an estimated $130 million in North America and $228.2 million internationally for a worldwide start of $358.2 million.

Not really. The clue you seem to miss is all the guys describing their favorite Disney movie and how their wives sing along to the first Frozen. Disney isn't marketing to the kids. That's fucking easy as shit. Kids will watch almost anything that's animated(or Disney) and it's really easy to make an animated movie look interesting to them. Market to the adults so they also enjoy watching these movies. If you can't get the one bringing money interested, you just won't make as much. Back when parents just dropped their kids off or weren't willing to watch this shit in theaters, Disney had a hard time rolling in green. Today it's easy and parents are why.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I jokingly invited my wife to go see this with our neighbor and her two daughters. They all got really excited about it and she is going to see it with them this Saturday. Me and my boys dodged a bullet and don't have to sit through this bullshit. I pretty fucking happy about the whole situation.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Moana is a great movie, my grandson just loves it (that and Coco, which is great too) but it has always left me scratching my head how many times Maui just straight up attempts to murder Moana! lol I mean if he just left her stranded on the island she might have survived but no, he locked her in a barren cave behind an immovable rock and only by sheer luck was she able to escape.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I almost cried like a little bitch when he shows her his new tattoo over his heart.
...if anyone cares, here's the images.

Before & After.

Maui Before.jpg

Maui After.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Moana was a great adherence to the hero's journey - even if there is a snazzy song from a grandma eating crab when you journey to the depths ;)

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Moana was a great adherence to the hero's journey - even if there is a snazzy song from a grandma eating crab when you journey to the depths ;)

I found the way the ocean coddled Moana, and how the grandmother turned into the sea ray, just absolutely wonderful and honestly heart warming. And the end when she returns Nefriti's heart. And I love the music (We Know The Way, etc), it's honestly just great. Haha I feel so fucking gay now.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

Moana had way better music than Frozen esp 2. Tangled is still the best of "recent-ish" disney animations

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
The family roped me into going to see it. I thought the ending water scene was neat. When my daughter saw the horse running ahead of the water, she said “Gandalf!”

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Spoilers....

Not tagging it, report me SJWs

Things they needed to do that would have made this movie top notch.

The 5th element should be love, that would have connected the theme and elements from both movies- parents sacrifice, sisters love etc.

Arendell should have been destroyed, it would have been the price paid and a willing sacrifice that hurts and is not directly and instantly "oh you were willing to sacrifice so, you don't have to- but thanks for playing"

Anna should have had to go down into the depths to find Elsa even if she was dead, and her sisters love saves her this time (parallels... patterns... not, whatever we got)

Olof should have remained dead and been in the spirit of "ice" - like 'gale' and the water horse etc.

Elsa and Anna would then return from the north with the north folk- told the now homeless Arendell people the story and that the queen was a northerner and king arendell - and now that the dam is gone - new land is available to rebuild and they start a new United Kingdom. (Heh)

Exit with them all singing the song - not randomly in the middle for no reason other than "hey remember the opening tribal-like song from Frozen 1? Yeah it's...this!!!"

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They had to keep it light hearted enough as to keep the money machine running, while dark enough to give the impression there was a risk of some kind. I agree that they played it a little too safe, but this is a legit kids movie, if they had actually killed off elsa and olaf, there would be hell to pay.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Did anyone actually understand what happened? What I got was Elsa went to that northern island on the magic water horse, even though she's fucking frozen spirit person, she froze to death ?? then anna fixed things by undoing a dam which somehow brought elsa back to life?????

Siliconemelons

Did anyone actually understand what happened? What I got was Elsa went to that northern island on the magic water horse, even though she's fucking frozen spirit person, she froze to death ?? then anna fixed things by undoing a dam which somehow brought elsa back to life?????

Correct.

They had to find "the truth"

And that was, her grandpappy was evil and "started the fight" and also built the dam to "weaken" the norther people and their spirits...somehow.

But apparently... none of the other norther hippies knew that? And just left the dam up for 30 years because, reasons- and that's why all the elemental spirits were upset.

None of the hippies ever thought to destroy the dam, even though they could give 0 shits about the Arendell people as shown that they fought and outcast the group of soldiers that remained trapped with them... so... I dunno, they had to wait for Elsa.

Also my changes kept Elsa alive, just not Olof... fine even keeping his ren in there- my changes still would be "kid friendly" with the destruction of the city/castle.

Its not just the happy ending, I get that, it's the pics poor story that is nothing but "cool scenes" plopped together with no semblance of merit

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Finally saw this on digital and it was...okay. The songs were nice and I liked that Kristof got an 80s power ballad to sing, but the plotline was more than a little contrived and there was too much Olaf. He needed to be dialed back about 50% and Kristof needed his own secondary plot other than proposing to Anna. I thougjt, given his bonding with the Northuldran guy and his connection to Sven, that he would turn out to be a Northuldran orphan.

As soon as we saw the first version of the story told by their dad I knew that the Arendel people started the fight by doing something evil. A little over an hour later and yup, racist grandad confirmed.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
This is on Disney+ this Sunday, 3 months ahead of schedule. Disney is trying to make people feel less stressed in this troubling time by having kids drive their parents mad with looped musicals.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
frozen was absolutely a fluke. it's the snow queen, except like, half way through production they changed the story so that elsa isn't the villain. that's why the real villain feels off. he's not particularly consistent throughout the story. like, it works. he's serviceable but when he turns out to be a bad guy it's sort of a headscratcher based on what he had already done so far.

i'm not saying little girls shouldn't love it. it's a fine movie, it's just that what made frozen special is that it was sort of a breath of fresh air. if you try to add more story to it, it waters down what makes it special. it is literally the exact same issue with the incredibles (though incredibles was SO MUCH BETTER than frozen). it's a great movie that stands up on it's own. as soon as you add a sequel, the sequel itself is "meh" no matter what you do with it.
Elsa is a fucking villain. First she summons a snow golem on her own sister, then she ice-deathrays her. And then she still tells her to fuck off and die. Complete psychopath.
She's the strongest argument as to why witch burning as a general notion was not that bad an idea.

This is on Disney+ this Sunday, 3 months ahead of schedule. Disney is trying to make people feel less stressed in this troubling time by having kids drive their parents mad with looped musicals.

Oh that's interesting. In EU Disney+ we had to wait until now to watch this. (which is why I'm bumping this necro thread). Didn't watch, though.

Last edited: