Fun Ass Indie Games for < AAA

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
How is Dawn of Man? Seems a lot like Banished which I enjoyed, but which had really limited replayability.

I haven't played a lot of it yet but its made by the same people that made Planetbase, it takes you from like early hunter/gatherer agricultural society to iron age.

Planetbase was a lot of fun though, and challenging, so I expect more of the same but in a different setting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
holy shit for diablo and poe lovers chronicon is 10 bucks and scratches the itch - i'm only a couple hours in but it's pretty big from what I understand

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
holy shit for diablo and poe lovers chronicon is 10 bucks and scratches the itch - i'm only a couple hours in but it's pretty big from what I understand
hadnt hear of it I dont think. Ill check it out.

I think I'll add some review for book of demons.
First, i got it for REAL cheap. I think EVERYONE that owns darkest dungeons on steam, has a -66% off book of demons in their inventory. I used that and even winter sale.
"Book of Demons - $6.87 " regular is like 24.99.

so first, a $7price is definitely right. haha.
25.. not so much.
It is on 35% off atm. and again, check to see if you have that -66% off as well.

The game itself is decent. A major diablo 1 homage. but without freemovement. It is active time. and ENEMIES have freemove. but you have to move along preset pathways. you can move forward and back freely.

It uses a card system for skills, and gear. Where you get card drops the set a loadout. this is all decent. these cards dont have enough rng imho granted. but thats a bit small.
my biggest issue is the new game plus, and game design.

When moving out of normal into hell/merc modes, the game first Locks in cards into your loadout, that you have to play during that session. then, when you fight bosses, they "curse" cards, making it so you can't use them either.
This in my opinion is just an ass backwards design choice. you spend the first half ot the game, expanding your card selection, gear, and skill choice. Then, to add challenge... the game removes your choice and those options.. its just not fun. the complete opposite of a metroid/zelda, even a slay the spire. instead of making the enemies more complex to add challenge, it removes YOUR options, to add difficulty.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
What makes Kenshi so good?

For me? I think they made a decent sandbox world with enough to keep you busy. Lotta ways to play & build. Going 'ironman' and never using a save to unfuck something is interesting / challenging. Turn on 'NPC loot you' and it becomes a survival game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Return of the Obra Dinn hasn't been mentioned?

Loved this game. Made by the dev of Papers Please. It's like a Sherlock Holmes mystery solving game where you try to determine the identities of the crew of a ship on who they were and how they died. Very entertaining and I highly recommend it.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I tried this since I’m a big arpg fan and just couldn’t get into it. The UI and controls are so fuckin clunky. I tried with keyboard mouse and with game pad, both were pretty terrible. Gamepad was worse. Click to movewhen I switched back to keyboard helped a little but not by much.

The classes, skills, etc look pretty cool. The inventory size and amount of item slots were too low for my liking. Ten minutes into the game I had several accessories that were nice but only one slot, wtf. I could see that being ok if they’re situational and your inventory bag gets bigger later, but early stages I was already maxed inventory and was throwing shit away fifteen minutes in. I only got one boss and by the second chest I was overfilled with loot.

First game I’ve refunded in a long time. If they ever update the controls to be smoother/more modern I’d give it another go for sure, it looked interesting.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
How is Dawn of Man? Seems a lot like Banished which I enjoyed, but which had really limited replayability.

I found it to be way to easy, the amount of structures is very limited, so after a few games it becomes little more then executing a standard build order, waiting for buildings to complete and enough resources to start on the next one in line.

Have under 10 hours in it, expected more.

That being said, it is a solid base for a great game. If they expand on what they have it could be excellent.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up yet but Noita is a very good rougelike

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Got Battle Brothers on sale. Played for 2 hours. Realized I don't have a fraction of the time it would take to get decent at the game.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Near finishing Iconoclasts. I don't think it needs its own thread. But still, want to recommend it.

Its a solid little Metroidvania lite. Its unique, in that its VERY story and character driven. Every characters incredibly multifaceted. its almost jarring. you just feel sad for most of the characters in what seems like a super charming platformer..

The metroidvania aspects are a bit lite. Each zone is separate with clear transition points, and a teleporter back to zones, instead of a single unified world, where any area could have paths connecting back to previous areas. At the same time, 80% of exploration can be done the first time you enter a zone as well. you get a powerup in that zone, that lets do pretty much everything. With exception of the real end game world exploration, which can only be done just before the end boss basically. pretty sure you can't sequence break.
Secrets are a bit of a let down in this, as 99% of secrets are just materials for crafting, not real powerups. since those are all story driven.

Combat can be good, and has some depth, but its not utilized often, and sometimes in just annoying ways. Example,the charge shot you get early, has a hidden mechanic of pushing you back when used. this is used in exactly one spot late game, to reach an unreachable platform. Seriously, I had to look this up. I went the whole game without noticing you can do this. Cause, there was no other place it was useful, or hinted at.. or,again,at the very end of the game, there is a room you get stuck in with a monster that you can't seem to damage. There is no real feedback of what you are supposed to do. Visually, you can cycle through all weapons.. nothing. you can stomp it, which stuns it. and you can wrench it when it does its special attack, to stun it. That you can stun it, would SEEM like the hint how to beat them... But no, when charging to do the special attack, you hit them with charged swap gun.. Theres no real hint..
Many of the bosses are kindof like this. more of a trial and error of what weapon your supposed to use.

Overall, I would recommend if you like metroidvania lite.. (shantae, ori) esp if on sale.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Been playing Moonlighter for several hours today. Pretty fun gameplay loop. It seems to be good for at least 10-15 hours depending on how ambitious you are.

Grez

Molten Core Raider
Necro:

Noita is amazing! Been playing it for the last year or so, having a blast.

Most frustrating game I've ever played, surviving your own stupidity is half the challenge

Last edited:
  • 1Like