Funny, Strange, Random Pics

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I download all the info on to my phone, and show them what I see things are selling for in the local area, what I want to pay, and what I want to buy. Its getting kind of old. Private sales are looking more appealing these days.

Ive never had dealerships just let me walk out before, without even trying to cut a deal.
Depends on the dealer and the cars you're going for. Either way, being educated and not spending more than you want will be worth it long term.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I've never understood the appeal of buying a new car.

rrr_img_94421.jpg
I mean, yea, but you know where used cars come from, right?

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Anyone else try to buy a new car lately? Is is the new national standard to have to pay sticker price or you dont get your car? I have been to 3 places over the last month, and all 3 were not willing to budge off sticker price at all. I guess I have been out of the game too long or something. I remember sitting at car lots all day long going back and forth and back and forth until you would get what you want.
rrr_img_94416.jpg
rrr_img_94426.jpg

Many dealers can trade/unload their cars via dealership networks and website advertising. This seems to be better for both sides on getting/finding but not so good on buyer as for pricing. Sort of like how you dont see much in toy discounts aisle at stores from their overstocking issues anymore. sigh, gone are the days of getting discount tons of toys.

06 - 0QLIxMv.jpg

Craigslist did a change last year or so that put a hinderance on dealers postings. You will find a lot more private odd meeting spots due to this. Big increase on dealers doing private sales to get around Craigslist rules.

Also, read up on state laws. Some states have things like 10year limit on odometer accuracy. Car Fax and other reporting will tattletale when places swapping or rolling over the numbers like that. Your loan institution runs that for you, some will let you continue while others wont.

Is it really that hard to figure out who took decent care of their car? If it seems to be a shady used car lot or seller, just walk the fuck away. Its like yall are regurgitating sales points from the manufacturer. "If you do your homework, you have less than a 1% chance of getting a lemon when buying a used car, but hey, why take a chance?" "Oh, you might as well pay 10% over sticker, just to make sure everything is right. It's like a tip for the sales guy, they will take double super secret special care of you!"

rrr_img_94435.jpg

rrr_img_94436.jpg

rrr_img_94437.jpg

rrr_img_94440.jpg

rrr_img_94438.jpg

rrr_img_94439.jpg

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone else try to buy a new car lately? Is is the new national standard to have to pay sticker price or you dont get your car? I have been to 3 places over the last month, and all 3 were not willing to budge off sticker price at all. I guess I have been out of the game too long or something. I remember sitting at car lots all day long going back and forth and back and forth until you would get what you want.
rrr_img_94416.jpg
You arent in some freaky zone, being singled out, trust me. Dealers across the board are trying to make more money off less cars. I could tell you the story of why, but you probably dont care.

If you want the best price from a new car dealer, be prepared to go up to 500 miles. Dealers can trade a new car easily, regardless if its BMW, Chevrolet or a Toyota. Theyre lying to you if they say they cant. Email each of these dealers in this 500 mile area asking for their best price on a vehicle with the specifications you're looking for. Try not to pigeon hole yourself into a vehicle thats color / equipment combination is rare as hell. Half of the responses will be "Herp derp, come in and we'll make you the deal of a life time" and the other half will bend over for you and send you a good price back. At this point, you likely have a price thats fair to both parties and I would just take the best price and go ahead and buy from that dealer. (Make sure each one has the same equipment. If one dealer is better by everyone else by a couple hundred bucks, look to see if the vehicle has floor mats. Sneaky dumb shit like that.) A lot of dealers in this 500 mile area, but if you're trying to save money.. this is how its done.

If you're a dick, and lets face it, a lot of people are - youll email each dealer that sent you a price back with the best price that was sent to you. Half of the responses you get will then be "Congrats! Let us know if they cant do what they said they can do!", another third wont even respond to you and the last bit will hit you back with another lower price and try to set an appointment again. At this point, you're talking about less than a couple hundred bucks difference for the same car. You can continue to whittle down responses in this fashion, but what you need to look at then is where you have to go, the cost of gas to get there and back etc. etc. The convenience of driving a 40 mile round trip versus a 1000 mile round trip is worth more than that little bit of money saved on the Car.

As far as used Cars go - there are a multitude of reasons why a person shouldnt buy privately from a stranger. You can still get a better deal from a dealership if you just dont fall for the stupid shit that they try to sell to every f'n schmuck that walks through the door. A used vehicle routinely has about 3k-3.5k markup from what they have in the vehicle. Get it discounted 2500 bucks and call it a day. If you cant get it down that low, then they spent too much in service and you dont want that vehicle anyways. Go into the Finance Office and get the interest rate down a couple points and get the fuck out. Even with that shitty Processing Fee that every dealership has, you still come out better and usually with a warranty and maybe a few service visits. After buying a couple cars from a no hassle dealership - I dont know why anyone would rather go to some shady parking lot and buy a Car from some random ass hat that tells you its his grandmothers and she babied the car. Bitch, have you seen Granny Cars? Dents and scratches are all over the fucking place cause they cant fucking see!

You arent in some freaky zone, being singled out, trust me. Dealers across the board are trying to make more money off less cars. I could tell you the story of why, but you probably dont care.

If you want the best price from a new car dealer, be prepared to go up to 500 miles. Dealers can trade a new car easily, regardless if its BMW, Chevrolet or a Toyota. Theyre lying to you if they say they cant. Email each of these dealers in this 500 mile area asking for their best price on a vehicle with the specifications you're looking for. Try not to pigeon hole yourself into a vehicle thats color / equipment combination is rare as hell. Half of the responses will be "Herp derp, come in and we'll make you the deal of a life time" and the other half will bend over for you and send you a good price back. At this point, you likely have a price thats fair to both parties and I would just take the best price and go ahead and buy from that dealer. (Make sure each one has the same equipment. If one dealer is better by everyone else by a couple hundred bucks, look to see if the vehicle has floor mats. Sneaky dumb shit like that.) A lot of dealers in this 500 mile area, but if you're trying to save money.. this is how its done.

If you're a dick, and lets face it, a lot of people are - youll email each dealer that sent you a price back with the best price that was sent to you. Half of the responses you get will then be "Congrats! Let us know if they cant do what they said they can do!", another third wont even respond to you and the last bit will hit you back with another lower price and try to set an appointment again. At this point, you're talking about less than a couple hundred bucks difference for the same car. You can continue to whittle down responses in this fashion, but what you need to look at then is where you have to go, the cost of gas to get there and back etc. etc. The convenience of driving a 40 mile round trip versus a 1000 mile round trip is worth more than that little bit of money saved on the Car.

As far as used Cars go - there are a multitude of reasons why a person shouldnt buy privately from a stranger. You can still get a better deal from a dealership if you just dont fall for the stupid shit that they try to sell to every f'n schmuck that walks through the door. A used vehicle routinely has about 3k-3.5k markup from what they have in the vehicle. Get it discounted 2500 bucks and call it a day. If you cant get it down that low, then they spent too much in service and you dont want that vehicle anyways. Go into the Finance Office and get the interest rate down a couple points and get the fuck out. Even with that shitty Processing Fee that every dealership has, you still come out better and usually with a warranty and maybe a few service visits. After buying a couple cars from a no hassle dealership - I dont know why anyone would rather go to some shady parking lot and buy a Car from some random ass hat that tells you its his grandmothers and she babied the car. Bitch, have you seen Granny Cars? Dents and scratches are all over the fucking place cause they cant fucking see!

I agree with you. I wouldnt travel 500 miles for a car, but I do hit up as many dealerships I can within a reasonable range. The last 2 cars I bought, I show up with cash at hand, tell them what I want, what I want to pay, and spent the rest of the day working out a fair deal. I just bought my wife a car a few weeks back, and It was like pulling teeth. She wanted a new VW Jetta, so we go to the dealer with cash, test drive a few, find one she likes, and then make an offer. The guys goes "Nope!" and that was that. Not even the "let me talk to my boss" routine, or the "have you ever thought of leasing?" Just a big no, and let us walk out the door. Blew my mind.

rrr_img_94453.jpg

Siliconemelons

I agree with you. I wouldnt travel 500 miles for a car, but I do hit up as many dealerships I can within a reasonable range. The last 2 cars I bought, I show up with cash at hand, tell them what I want, what I want to pay, and spent the rest of the day working out a fair deal. I just bought my wife a car a few weeks back, and It was like pulling teeth. She wanted a new VW Jetta, so we go to the dealer with cash, test drive a few, find one she likes, and then make an offer. The guys goes "Nope!" and that was that. Not even the "let me talk to my boss" routine, or the "have you ever thought of leasing?" Just a big no, and let us walk out the door. Blew my mind.

rrr_img_94453.jpg
Toyota's don't deal, every dealership I have been to the price is the price and you get maybe the 500-1500 incentive and that's like the gods blessing you with mana from heaven if the gods Toyota decide to do that- Toyota = Apple in my mind, consumers suck their shit in like its all unique revolutionary and the best products known to man- blindly- and they don't budge on prices.

I have bought 3 New nissans and 1 used lately (myself and relatives etc.), there are literally 6 dealers within a quick drive of me- and each darn time I had to drive an hour away to Jenkins Nissan. Dealers would straight up refuse to match their online advertised price for a new car- and I would leave- few months later come in for services with the car I bought from Jenkins and the sales manager would be shocked. I wont talk to dealers unless their first offer to me on price is very close to invoice, that's a place to "start" end of the day it better be 2-4k below invoice- I like to target invoice - 1k below invoice as the OTD price. Edmunds forums have a section for almost every model and in there peoples buying experiences and prices actually paid- read up on them- "True Market Value" pricing again is a decent place to start the negotiations but you can still get lower.

used-car-salesman.jpg

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Cars are priced high with not much price budging because they *hope* you will lease the car instead. They make more money and get the car back to sell again.

rrr_img_94455.jpg

Toyota's don't deal, every dealership I have been to the price is the price and you get maybe the 500-1500 incentive and that's like the gods blessing you with mana from heaven if the gods Toyota decide to do that- Toyota = Apple in my mind, consumers suck their shit in like its all unique revolutionary and the best products known to man- blindly- and they don't budge on prices.

I have bought 3 New nissans and 1 used lately (myself and relatives etc.), there are literally 6 dealers within a quick drive of me- and each darn time I had to drive an hour away to Jenkins Nissan. Dealers would straight up refuse to match their online advertised price for a new car- and I would leave- few months later come in for services with the car I bought from Jenkins and the sales manager would be shocked. I wont talk to dealers unless their first offer to me on price is very close to invoice, that's a place to "start" end of the day it better be 2-4k below invoice- I like to target invoice - 1k below invoice as the OTD price. Edmunds forums have a section for almost every model and in there peoples buying experiences and prices actually paid- read up on them- "True Market Value" pricing again is a decent place to start the negotiations but you can still get lower.

used-car-salesman.jpg
Im not a fan of edmunds. Their forums have some good info, but edmunds is serious low-ball pricing. For example, my current car has a dealer price of around $25-$28k in its current condition. My trade-in value usually averages about $20k. I have been offered $23k on the high end, but they were also trying to ram an overly expensive car down my throat.

Most pricing sites will correspond with the trade in value. KBB is a bit on the high end, but still within the price range. Edmunds on the other hand gives me a value of $13k, which is complete bullshit.

I do concur that Toyota = Apple. I bought a Toyota a few years back when the whole recall issue was in full swing. They pretty much threw the car at me. I have gone back twice, to the same place, over the last few months and they pretty much said "take it or leave it", and really didnt care if they sold a car or not.

Cars are priced high with not much price budging because they *hope* you will lease the car instead. They make more money and get the car back to sell again.
I actually went in to a dealership asking about a lease "special" they had on their website yesterday. Again, no budge on sticker price. Guy kept saying "I cant sell you that car for that price" in which I would say " im not buying it, im giving you money to let me drive it for a few years, and then giving it back to you". Then he would say "I dont think you understand how leasing works."

rrr_img_94456.jpg

rrr_img_94457.jpg