(G)rape Vanning

H.A. Monkey

Golden Knight of the Realm
Oh my bad you weinersniffers think this is white knighting? LOL

I was just pointing out how much you're retarded, frail, weak, poor, and racist. Its not my job to change society. It's my job to call you pathetic slobs out because that's exactly what you are, a group of wimpy people who latch to each others ideals because you will do nothing in life, nor can you defend yourself physically.

Check the stats pussies.

I've been here since noows and Flowers of Happiness, you have been here since you googled "how to kill myself using video games because my gf dumped me."

You were obviously not around for the American Inventor dick joke.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Because even people who claim that they aren't racist still have different standards for acceptable behavior based on skin color.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

drychnath

Golden Knight of the Realm
20180719_131632.jpg

• 1Like

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why can black people say it?

Black people using the N word is cultural appropriation from southern white dudes that owned plantations long ago. It's just wrong for the same reason that an Asian can't open a taco stand.

• 1Like

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Democrats and their obsession with the racial inferiority of their servants...

It's all so tiring.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So after doing a few months research, we decided on a Ram Promaster.

Sprinters seemed like a decent option, but the repair costs for them scared me off (and that's if you're close to a Mercedes dealership when you need something done). It's hard to find a T1N version, but those are the most reliable (the NVC3 models from 2007 on all have a fucked up emissions system to try to comply with US regulations). A newer model Ford Transit was another option, but the wheelbase is shorter, it's got somewhat curved walls, and the price wasn't much different. Also looked into maybe getting a Ford E-250/350, or GMC Savana/Chevy Express (they're the exact same), but finding one with a high roof is difficult. And they're about $4k if we wanted to put it on ourselves.

We found a 2018 Promaster, 159 wheelbase with a high roof, that was formerly a rental with only 11k miles on it. It's got some dings (you can see the big black one on the side), but we don't care all that much about those. Pretty excited to get it started.

We'll end up insulating it and then just throwing a bed in it to start off, that way we can get a better idea of what we want and where.

Oh, and in case anyone else is interested in doing this, we did have issues with financing. We got a pre-approval from our credit union, but when the dealership was trying to verify it the credit union was like, "Uh, we actually can't honor it because that's a commercial vehicle." Even after explaining that it was for personal use, they didn't care. We ended up having to use a different bank and got a much higher rate because no one would give us a rate that was a "personal loan" even though that's what it is. The annoying part is that our credit is actually even more ridiculous than it was when we bought our house (was about 810 three years ago, it's now 867). It's not a big deal to us since we're planning on paying it off in 5-6 months. Just still obnoxious and I'm not happy with our credit union (Navy Federal).

van.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you wanted it as a personal loan, IE unsecured. Couldnt you take the loan in cash then just pay off the van and make payments into the personal loan for 5-6 months? I'm still suprised you wouldnt find a secured loan against the vehicle at a better rate than a personal even with that credit.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The problem was there wasn't a credit union close to the dealership (30 min drive, one way). We got pre-approval up to a certain dollar amount, which then gets hashed out after the fact when we figure out what the actual cost is. Problem is, that's based on the interest rate given for a normal car loan, not commercial. Had we been closer, that could've been a possibility. We also had to play it a bit loose with a cashier's check. I couldn't get the dealership to respond to me about what their DBA is, so we just winged it and they said what we put on there worked.

It's not something I'd even considered or heard about before. The most bizarre part is my wife previously worked in banking for something like 7 years and she'd never heard of it either (and she worked in the loan dept for a while, as well as previously at Navy Federal).

Just as an aside, my father-in-law is super into this van shit, and has been for years. He was looking at Promasters on the other side of the country. He went to a dealership with new ones and they said they would've even sell one to him if he wasn't a business. Like, straight up, we're not selling you a vehicle for personal use.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So after doing a few months research, we decided on a Ram Promaster.

Sprinters seemed like a decent option, but the repair costs for them scared me off (and that's if you're close to a Mercedes dealership when you need something done). It's hard to find a T1N version, but those are the most reliable (the NVC3 models from 2007 on all have a fucked up emissions system to try to comply with US regulations). A newer model Ford Transit was another option, but the wheelbase is shorter, it's got somewhat curved walls, and the price wasn't much different. Also looked into maybe getting a Ford E-250/350, or GMC Savana/Chevy Express (they're the exact same), but finding one with a high roof is difficult. And they're about $4k if we wanted to put it on ourselves.

We found a 2018 Promaster, 159 wheelbase with a high roof, that was formerly a rental with only 11k miles on it. It's got some dings (you can see the big black one on the side), but we don't care all that much about those. Pretty excited to get it started.

We'll end up insulating it and then just throwing a bed in it to start off, that way we can get a better idea of what we want and where.

Oh, and in case anyone else is interested in doing this, we did have issues with financing. We got a pre-approval from our credit union, but when the dealership was trying to verify it the credit union was like, "Uh, we actually can't honor it because that's a commercial vehicle." Even after explaining that it was for personal use, they didn't care. We ended up having to use a different bank and got a much higher rate because no one would give us a rate that was a "personal loan" even though that's what it is. The annoying part is that our credit is actually even more ridiculous than it was when we bought our house (was about 810 three years ago, it's now 867). It's not a big deal to us since we're planning on paying it off in 5-6 months. Just still obnoxious and I'm not happy with our credit union (Navy Federal).

View attachment 171875

Thanks man you saved me a ton of research. GL with it!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Been kind of slow going, but I'm basically doing what I can on weekends and occasionally after work.

Put down 1x2 furring strips in the spots where I think we'll end up doing furniture (bed mounting, cabinet mounting, etc) and glued it down with Loctite. Seems decently solid, but I'm not super worried since it's basically there just to give the plywood something to grab onto.

Then I did 1" polyiso insulation between the furring strips. "Glued" it down using Great Stuff Windows and Doors spray foam (about $6 a can). That shit is solid, won't move at all.

Also used butyl sound deadening material on the wheel wells and most of the walls. Covered the wheel wells again with reflectix as well as an insulating barrier. Made window coverings out of reflectix (windshield, driver/passenger windows, and 2 rear windows). Plan is to put a fabric backing on them, and sew magnets around the edges so they stick. Plan over this long weekend is to sound deaden the remaining walls and ceiling, and then insulate (thinking 1" on walls, 2" on ceiling).

Since the polyiso has a foil backing (on both sides, actually), I went ahead and used foil duct tape along all the furring strips to create a vapor barrier on the floor. Also went ahead and extended some reflectix over the edges all the way around and duct taped them in case I decide later I want the vapor barrier to extend from the floor to the walls. Plus, there's a weep channel (for natural condensation) along the floor edges that I've read you shouldn't insulate, so the reflectix will work well since it's a big air gap.

Finally, cut 1/2" plywood (3 pieces) for the subfloor, placed on top of the insulation/furring strips (the sub-subfloor?). So far I've got almost all of that secured down, also using spray foam (same as above; note, the windows and doors version doesn't expand as much, which is an issue in vans because it'll warp the sheet metal on the exterior of the van). Followed that up with 2" M8 bolts which went through the factory tie-down spots. That was super fun since I had to drill them blind since only 2 go through the undercarriage. There are 8 tie down points, which run along the edges. Then today I've been putting 1" wood screws through the plywood to secure it to the furring strips.

Hopefully with all of that the floor is rock solid. My concern is if we ever got in a collision, shit like cabinets would break free and fly towards the front. So I've spent a lot of time making sure the floor isn't going anywhere.

I'll add pictures later today. Unfortunately I was just too lazy to take progress pictures, even though I thought about it most days.

• 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So when I cut the plywood, I made it super tight against the walls. In retrospect this was a mistake. I didn't consider that the reflectix had much thickness (it doesn't, probably 1/8"). And I didn't refit them after I added the reflectix. So when I started spray foaming, I didn't realize I fucked up until I got to the last two pieces. And then I panicked. I picked up the one on the right side there and tried to saw it down, but I was rushing it and it turned into a giant mess.

When they say don't get spray foam on your skin, they're not fucking kidding. That shit does not come off, except with a pumice stone. And it's taking some skin with it.

Anyways, I cut it down just now and it fits again. Only problem is the two tie downs at the rear seem to be deeper than the others and I'm having issues getting them bolted down. Not a big deal since the foam is retarded strong, but I've got plywood drilled out for it already. Below is a picture of the layout.

R3XBzFz.jpg

And then this is more close up of the floor.

x5Ots4a.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Feels like this is just my blog about the van build at this point.

Since the last post I've insulated everything except the last two ceiling panels towards the front (basically between the front two sets of ribs). Walls are done, rest of the ceiling is done. There are still gaps near the corners, and the doors are only half done. Didn't finish the ceiling because I wanted to get a fan in first and then insulate around it.

Ordered a Maxxair 5100K
Waiting on a can of better spray paint before we install it, since I want to make sure we don't get any rust and the Rustoleum I bought for the floor was kind of shitty.

Anyway, we took the van camping this weekend. Just threw a bed on the floor and used a cooler for food. Was pretty nice. Having a bed on wheels is a whole new type of camping (and it was a lot more maneuverable than RV'ing, obviously). The only thing was the outside temperature overnight was about 31 degrees. And holy fuck, by about 1am we were freezing our asses off. We brought 3 blankets which helped, but I still had to wear a fleece hat. I kept worrying I'd wake up to a dead dog since she didn't seem to want under the blankets.

Other complaint is we haven't done any electrical yet. We have a little USB LED lamp but for some reason it broke the morning we were leaving. We made do with headlamps, but it was kind of a bummer. Oh, and also, not having cabinets yet blows. We basically had shit over almost every square inch of the van floor and so rummaging through shit was difficult.

So with that said, tonight I ordered some LED lights, an inverter, battery isolator, 14 gauge marine wire, and a charge controller. Still trying to figure out whether we're going with an AGM or Lithium battery. I'll also need some additional wiring (0, 2, or 4 gauge for the heavy duty stuff), tons of fuses, and other assorted connection type stuff.

Plan is to have at least a bed platform made (we need to buy a foam mattress we can cut up), at least rough in wiring, and a few cabinets, before our next trip. We'll see if that happens.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Please Gravel Gravel airbrush some 80's viking on a hill with dragons and scantily clad woman on the side.
There is a lot of air in that space so it'll cool down quicker, is that ventillation fan a heater too?
If you are upgrading the electrics should you get a little fan bar heater too?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nah, fan does intake/exhaust, but it's still just a fan. There are a few heating options and we're not entirely sure what we'll settle on yet.

I did also forget that we added a swivel to the passenger seat. I'm still debating whether to build a little step that goes up into the cab, because right now your feet dangle with about 8-10 inches since the cab is slightly elevated.