Game Pass for Xbox and PC

Argarth

On the verandah
Spiritfarer which just released yesterday is on it and it's a really interesting looking game. Mix of Stardew Valley, Terraria NPC's, Ship management/Map exploration, and has some incredible artwork.

Wow, that looks enchanting. Just for a moment there, the music transported me straight back to Ronfaure (ffxi). I need a second life to play all these games. Thanks, I think.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
battle toads is out and on gamepass

Ef0s5MtX0AAzfA7.png

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
battle toads is out and on gamepass

Ef0s5MtX0AAzfA7.png

Downloaded to play with my brother since we played the hell out of it as kids and it's couch co op only. One of those wtf decisions especially after how fun Streets of Rage 4 was to do online together.

spronk

FPS noob
If you have gamepass ultimate and an xbox you can get some free stuff including another 3 months of discord nitro (different than the previous one so you can do it again), some free dlc codes and shit for games, etc. Just start your xbox and press the xbox button on your controller and bottom left of the screen you should see "Get your perks", click it to claim each of them. I got some PSO2 items, sea of thieves parrot bundle, gears 5 pack, 6 months of free spotify, etc.

also a few new games on gamepass like The Messenger, Wasteland 3

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Spiritfarer which just released yesterday is on it and it's a really interesting looking game. Mix of Stardew Valley, Terraria NPC's, Ship management/Map exploration, and has some incredible artwork.

Just finished this game up. This was very relaxing and very addicting. Couple rough spots towards the end pacing-wise, but might be due to having to cut some stuff. Quite touching and has a lovely little soundtrack on top of it. Husband gifted it to me on Steam after playing it himself, but I really wished I had it on Switch because I wanted to just take this everywhere with me. Steam does have a bundle with a digital art book and OST (though I imagine you can find the OST elsewhere) and the book includes some extra background info for the characters you meet.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So the new DLC is out for outer worlds. Why isn’t this free on gamepass? I wonder. Couldn’t be that gamepass was always planned as releasing mediocre shit leveraging the base game as an install market base to sell dlc and MTX could it?

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
EA Play is now included in your game pass sub, sounds like it'll include Origin Access (the basic bitch tier, not the premium one) on PC

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
EA Play is now included in your game pass sub, sounds like it'll include Origin Access (the basic bitch tier, not the premium one) on PC

Wonder about the financials behind this. Was EA play getting its butt kicked or did MS pay a hefty price.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So the new DLC is out for outer worlds. Why isn’t this free on gamepass? I wonder. Couldn’t be that gamepass was always planned as releasing mediocre shit leveraging the base game as an install market base to sell dlc and MTX could it?
Game Pass almost never includes DLC, and even when it does they do weird shit like give you Pillars of Eternity Hero Edition on PC (no expansion pass) while it's the Complete Edition on Xbone. Doesn't really bother me much when the game and DLC are good, but I'm certainly not paying $15 extra for Outer Worlds DLC which just sounds like more of the same mediocrity.

Wonder about the financials behind this. Was EA play getting its butt kicked or did MS pay a hefty price.
Seeing as EA came crawling back to Steam recently too, pretty sure it's option A.

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
How would it be getting its butt kicked? If it weren't for Game Pass it would be one of the best deals in gaming on its own and there's no overlap. I get the hate on EA but their games are extremely popular.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

So, your complaint is there was free access to the base game and they're charging for DOC's instead of having to pay for the base game too? I get that you're salty, but a moment of honesty without typical forum hyperbole: this topic is starting to make you seem obsessed.

As a counterpoint, Gamepass is awesome to me. I've always wished there were more opportunities to play games more extensively than a demo before buying, and sometimes Gamepass offers that, like with outer world where it was going to be a game I played for 5 hours or so before getting bored whether I paid for it or not. In this cass, nameless saved me.

Gamepass is basically free. If you're willing to do the bare minimum with their rewards and points program gamepass pays for itself. Can redeem directly or for gift cards. I do all the rewards stuff and estimate this year I'll be able to redeem $225 in gift cards to put towards game pass, or the new console, or get this, towards the Outer Worlds DLC or other games I got base access to first.

Likewise, I always wished there were better ways to try indie and oddball games other than a steam library with a ton of games I barely tried but didn't/couldn't refund. Gamepass has a ton of games I would have never otherwise been exposed to that ended up being favorites I play extensively and even buy when they leave Gamepass. But with gift card redemption earned through the rewards program.

Yes, one of the aspects of Gamepass that is annoying for some is they'll offer base games and not the DLCs for some titles. (Also, the free gold games are usually shit.) It's one of the tradeoffs of a system that is mostly Pro, with a few Cons that seem designed in that are annoying, but business. Was anyone ever expecting games like Outer World to just be free through Gamepass DLCs and all no strings attached? We'd see more micro transaction models for sure, and more complaints. The good news is one can still just ignore Gamepass and buy Outer World like normal if they want (or with rewards redemtions).

So, yeah, you've revealed a flaw, or con in the system. I think at his point you're going harder at it than is really justified. It's a valid point, but being able to anticipate your responses ahead of time and how salty they're coming off is getting uninteresting and redundant. Especially when you can literally make enough rewards points to keep Gamepass current and buy occasional DLCs during most people's morning shits every day.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
games currently "free" with EA play on xbox

2019 sports games - Madden, NBA, NFL, FIFA
Battlefield series (including 5)
Dead Space series
Anthem
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Titanfall 2 (& 1?)
Mass Effect Series

Mass Effect remastered though is rumored for end of Oct and wouldn't be part of EA Play for a year or so

Vorph

How would it be getting its butt kicked? If it weren't for Game Pass it would be one of the best deals in gaming on its own and there's no overlap. I get the hate on EA but their games are extremely popular.
Not EA Play specifically, but them going back to Steam and doing this deal with MS suggests to me that Origin at least isn't doing so well.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I see it as they've established their store, and returning to Steam expands it's reach further, because you still need Origin to play those games on Steam. They posted record annual profits in March, live services (in-game purchases, subscriptions, advertising) generate the majority of their profit now and moves like these only expand the reach.

Still need to make good games for that to matter, but objectively they do make games with a very wide appeal or with very popular IP.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So, your complaint is there was free access to the base game and they're charging for DOC's instead of having to pay for the base game too? I get that you're salty, but a moment of honesty without typical forum hyperbole: this topic is starting to make you seem obsessed.

As a counterpoint, Gamepass is awesome to me. I've always wished there were more opportunities to play games more extensively than a demo before buying, and sometimes Gamepass offers that, like with outer world where it was going to be a game I played for 5 hours or so before getting bored whether I paid for it or not. In this cass, nameless saved me.

Gamepass is basically free. If you're willing to do the bare minimum with their rewards and points program gamepass pays for itself. Can redeem directly or for gift cards. I do all the rewards stuff and estimate this year I'll be able to redeem $225 in gift cards to put towards game pass, or the new console, or get this, towards the Outer Worlds DLC or other games I got base access to first.

Likewise, I always wished there were better ways to try indie and oddball games other than a steam library with a ton of games I barely tried but didn't/couldn't refund. Gamepass has a ton of games I would have never otherwise been exposed to that ended up being favorites I play extensively and even buy when they leave Gamepass. But with gift card redemption earned through the rewards program.

Yes, one of the aspects of Gamepass that is annoying for some is they'll offer base games and not the DLCs for some titles. (Also, the free gold games are usually shit.) It's one of the tradeoffs of a system that is mostly Pro, with a few Cons that seem designed in that are annoying, but business. Was anyone ever expecting games like Outer World to just be free through Gamepass DLCs and all no strings attached? We'd see more micro transaction models for sure, and more complaints. The good news is one can still just ignore Gamepass and buy Outer World like normal if they want (or with rewards redemtions).

So, yeah, you've revealed a flaw, or con in the system. I think at his point you're going harder at it than is really justified. It's a valid point, but being able to anticipate your responses ahead of time and how salty they're coming off is getting uninteresting and redundant. Especially when you can literally make enough rewards points to keep Gamepass current and buy occasional DLCs during most people's morning shits every day.

My main stay is that the service at full retail price per month/6 month is not worth it and a sham to seed mediocre 1st party games (A result of Gamepass in my opinion so MS can least common denominate develop) and 3rd party seeding for DLC and MTX is nothing more than a way to get people to pay for what is bordering on free to play games and my thought that it will get to that level of quality sooner rather than later. Unless you took advantage of the dollar buy out for 3 years, it isn't near worth it considering the quality of the games. (Outside of VERY select few that are on there)

Gamepass is becoming a dumpster fire full of mediocre shit with plenty of DLC and MTX not included to seed the market penetration for said game and nothing more. We have already seen the straight up decline of MS 1st party titles - hell, look at what is happening with Halo Infinite and that was their flagship. Smoke and mirrors in the form of value which truly doesn't exist as we go further down the rabbit whole of shit game releases under a GaaS model.'.

The latest with the DLC for Outer World's is hilarious because for $24.99 you get one single planet with about 5 hours of content and a whopping 10% off as a gamepass member. And as we all knew, Outer World's turned out to be a shell of a game too because "Gamepass".

And don't even get me started on the mediocrity of State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Vorph

The latest with the DLC for Outer World's is hilarious because for $24.99 you get one single planet with about 5 hours of content and a whopping 10% off as a gamepass member.
Gorgon is 14.99, the 24.99 one is the expansion pass which will include the second/final DLC too. -10% off each for Game Pass subs.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That's why people ignore Ut, he's a pathological liar who feels like he has to be edgy all the time

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 4 users

Xerge

<Donor>
He's changed his behavior a lot since the OG vanguard thread and he's deff. not wrong in the above post. Game Pass has some gems and it's worth it's fee for some, however there are games being developed with it solely in mind -- outer worlds breaks my heart

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
He's changed his behavior a lot since the OG vanguard thread and he's deff. not wrong in the above post. Game Pass has some gems and it's worth it's fee for some, however there are games being developed with it solely in mind -- outer worlds breaks my heart

No, it's worth the fee for everyone.

They'll never match the exclusives of Sony, but they don't seem to really be trying to. If you want a lot of quality games for low price you go Xbox, if you want the absolute best of the best games you go Playstation.

Your second point doesn't even make any sense. So what if games are being made with it solely in mind? How's that any kind of middle finger to the consumer?

• 1Tiresome
  • 1Like