Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the Pro subscription (quality unlocks aside) is another Game Pass / EA Vault setup, they will continue to add games to the library. Then there's the option to buy games, which then gives you access to them through many devices (no subscription required). You don't have to pay for the pro bundle if you have compatible hardware (Chromecast Ultra, Pixel phones, computer, chromebook, android tablets, a controller).

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I knee jerk pre ordered this because I believe in the tech after playing in the project stream beta.

But after reading about it, I don't think that it's a service for me? I have a Ps4 and a gaming PC. I'm not going to get anything out of this.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I'm sure there will be a market for it, but how big is it really? People who have really good bandwidth, have great TVs, but for some reason don't wanna buy a ps4, xbox, or PC?

I would pay for shooters and other online multiplayer games without cheating. Is keyboard and mouse still an option?

• 1Like

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Gamer don't need this, will bomb hard. Like VR.
Also hardware market won't disappear tomorrow to please Google.

I would pay for shooters and other online multiplayer games without cheating. Is keyboard and mouse still an option?

Without what? Cheating will be there day 2 on Stadia.

At best it's a proof of concept for google to launch other project for Kevin and Suzy.

• 1Like

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Nice, a whole new frontier where google can oppress people for wrongthink!

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Google has an extensive history of starting up new shit and doing fuck-all with it, only to then cancel it a few years later. I would not keep any faith that things you buy through this will still be available years later

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I knee jerk pre ordered this because I believe in the tech after playing in the project stream beta.

But after reading about it, I don't think that it's a service for me? I have a Ps4 and a gaming PC. I'm not going to get anything out of this.

You really won't, and honestly I don't think your even their target demographic. I think they are hoping to hit an otherwise untapped market full of people who have phones, tablets, crappy little office computers but decent internet connections. If they are right it will be pretty brilliant, but that's kind of a big IF.

Google has an extensive history of starting up new shit and doing fuck-all with it, only to then cancel it a few years later. I would not keep any faith that things you buy through this will still be available years later

And then you have this. It will be extremely shitty if they sell all these games people don't physically own only for their access to it to just disappear one day within a decade of launching. Not out of the realm of possibility either.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah I'm not really interested in feeing google anymore than necessary. Which is a lot. I have fiber, dunno what it would do for me. One way or the other.

spronk

FPS noob
I wonder how the Destiny 2 thing works. So you buy the founders edition and get 3 months of stadia pro which includes D2. After 3 months you let your sub lapse. Can you still play D2 "for free" on stadia basic or do you have to "buy" it? Will your stadia character be playable on PC/xbox?

Its not a horrible value proposition for 3 months, for $130 you get a chromecast ultra ($60) plus a stadia controller ($70) plus 3 months of service ($30) plus a buddy pass for 3 montths ($30) but like for 90% of us its gonna be a pretty dumb thing to sub to past a few months. I guess after the 3 month trial you can cancel and then use it as just a free stadia service but you may as well just use any old PC and controller.

I bought one just to hook up at my in laws house but i might cancel before it ships, as people have said there is like a 90% chance in 3-5 years google will quietly shut this service down.

Last edited:

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I think that depends on if a Pro purchase is also an entitlement unlock to Destiny's new content, since it's for more than just the free version. Most people playing that will have already purchased that anyways since it's out before Stadia. Otherwise the full game and next batch of content is essentially just the first known title of their 'game pass' library.

Aside from that, cross-saves, so your characters will be playable on the other platforms.

Last edited:

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
You don't need to pay $130. And yea, you're apparently missing a lot.
Including the part where you can just outright buy games and not pay a sub at all.

Goto the website and it's toward the bottom.

Www.stadia.com

Yea but why the fuck would anyone buy games on a platform like this when they could already buy them with one of the other devices they most likely already have, or should get , for a much better experience. This thing is charging you for the convenience of buying more stuff from them for a substandard gaming experience.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah just need a bluetooth controller. Iirc that's why it requires the Ultra.

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Gamer don't need this, will bomb hard. Like VR.
Also hardware market won't disappear tomorrow to please Google.

Without what? Cheating will be there day 2 on Stadia.

At best it's a proof of concept for google to launch other project for Kevin and Suzy.

Everything is on their end, isn't it? How would one cheat? It's one of Harrison's sales pitches.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Yea but why the fuck would anyone buy games on a platform like this when they could already buy them with one of the other devices they most likely already have, or should get , for a much better experience. This thing is charging you for the convenience of buying more stuff from them for a substandard gaming experience.
I don't see why buying the game wouldn't entitle you to the downloadable copy for PC or console but I guess we'll see. Atm I just see it as mostly a chromecast upgrade and $60 to try out the new tech.

I was seriously looking to get a new chromecast so it's a no brainer for me

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I think we'll get closer to that w/ xCloud (since it's all Xbox) but no mention of any cross-buy stuff w/ Stadia. Though if you buy a game you still have access to stream it even without a sub.