Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
fuck ... I want a founders edition just for the fucking name

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are these games PC based? Like I already own those launch games? So what then?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Fastest purchase I ever made. The price seems great.
Stadia Founder's Edition
$130 for the Founders, I was expecting it to be much higher.

I wasn't intending to buy it but getting the $70 Chromecast Ultra sold me.
Plus the $60 Controller and 3 Month sub to play seems good to me.
I will probably cancel the sub after 3months and do the a'la carte method. We'll see.

Ships in November btw, good timing for winter/holidays.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There's a surprising lack of family friendly games on the list. I was going to order one as a gift for my brother's family, but there's no games his daughters would enjoy other than just dance

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wait, for 130 dollars, you get the controller and the Chromecast. There's no other hardware.

You're not saving anything but the 3 month sub.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Wait, for 130 dollars, you get the controller and the Chromecast. There's no other hardware.

What other hardware would there be? That's all you need.

-

I was a bit confused at first thinking this was more of a gamepass setup where you subbed and got access to play a bunch of games. It's really just a subscription service to buy and play games, along with some free ones starting with Destiny 2 (Who gives a shit?)

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I don't get the audience for this. Or maybe I do, I just don't know any of those people. If you are into games you've got a pc/xbox one/ps4. Sony has a subscription service model that works well, as does Microsoft. PC owners certainly you don't need this since there are numerous sub services and cheap digital sale platforms

So this is for people who don't fall into any of the categories, but want games, and will plop down $130+ plus sub fees on a device that only streams certain games (mainly old ones, some new? And only releasing with Destiny 2, a 2 year old game which most fans say sucked )...am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Which is why I got it because I've been meaning to get a new Chromecast anyways and the controller will be nice to have. There isn't any crazy markup on the sub, seems like it was thrown in for free. I'm down with that. If this was $200 I would have passed easily.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Have the said whether the controller is usable as standard xbox compatible for other PC games?

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Watching the latest politically motivated purge of people from YouTube makes me want to avoid any new google product like the plague. If I'm going to go with a game streaming service I'll use someone else. And the service looks underwhelming.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't get the audience for this. Or maybe I do, I just don't know any of those people. If you are into games you've got a pc/xbox one/ps4. Sony has a subscription service model that works well, as does Microsoft. PC owners certainly you don't need this since there are numerous sub services and cheap digital sale platforms

So this is for people who don't fall into any of the categories, but want games, and will plop down $130+ plus sub fees on a device that only streams certain games (mainly old ones, some new? And only releasing with Destiny 2, a 2 year old game which most fans say sucked )...am I missing something here?
You don't need to pay $130. And yea, you're apparently missing a lot.
Including the part where you can just outright buy games and not pay a sub at all.

Goto the website and it's toward the bottom.

Www.stadia.com

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Watching the latest politically motivated purge of people from YouTube makes me want to avoid any new google product like the plague. If I'm going to go with a game streaming service I'll use someone else. And the service looks underwhelming.
It looks kinda shitty.

It looks like it's aimed at people too poor to buy a console or gaming PC yet have unlimited bandwidth cap high speed internet.

OR people who want to game on their Pixel/Tablet secretly at work.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's aimed at parents who don't want to drop $500 on a console and already have Google saturating every aspect of their lives, likely already owning a chromecast.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
After playing Odyssey in the beta, I was instantly sold on the service.

The only reason to have a gaming PC will be for competitive gaming and even then I think it will be unnecessary to have any more than a dumb terminal in the future.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
The thing is no new games are included. The pro version has a tiny library of 33 older games, stuff you can blow thru in a month. Then any new games you have to buy on Stadia, and that won't run on anything else - ps4, pc, xbox, switch, etc - just stadia. So if you wanna play Watch Dogs 3 you'll have to pay $130 for the hardware, then $10/mo for the service, then another $60-100 for the game.

I can totally get a $10/mo service that gives you a deep, rich library of games ala Netflix. That makes sense. Buy paying $10/mo for a platform and then forking over more money for games you can only play with their controller and dongle is a bit hard to swallow.

I'm sure there will be a market for it, but how big is it really? People who have really good bandwidth, have great TVs, but for some reason don't wanna buy a ps4, xbox, or PC?

The xbox version is probably gonna shit all over this anyways, giving you access to an insanely deep library (game pass), giving you play ability on a ton of hardware - any xbox, PC, tablet, phone, and possibly even switch - and access to a ton of accessories like controllers, screens, etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Right this is not really aimed at core and hardcore gamers. This is aimed at folks who don't even want to drop 500 for a console, let alone the 1000+ a good - great gaming rig would cost. Hell you don't even need to do the shit on the preorder. Just have something, anything, that can run chrome and a USB controller and boom you good. The internet speeds required don't seem that steep, as long as you have Xfinity or Uverse or something along those lines, you should be able to run 1080p/60 with surround for 10 bucks a month on that shitty ass laptop or chromebook (which is more than enough for most non hardcore gamers). The only thing that strikes me is the controller is just stupid expensive, like almost Nintendo levels of stupidity.

This will not be for me, but my son will fit this to a T. He wants to move to PC gaming, but I'm not willing to shell out hundreds for a gaming rig. Now I can go to walmart and buy a shitty desktop and he can plug in his PS4 controller and be ready to roll until that desktop dies. The only catch is, what will Microsoft offer? It sounds like they are taking their gamepass and merging it with something very similar to Stadia. Sony will probably just stick with the legacy model where you have to own their hardware to play anything, and that's fine, that model appeals to me. However, I'm also willing to plunk down 500 for a PS5 as well.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The thing is no new games are included. The pro version has a tiny library of 33 older games, stuff you can blow thru in a month.

Where are you seeing this list of games? Because the ones listed on the pro pre-order sites are just the games available to buy. The only free game they've announced is Destiny 2

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It might not be big library right now, but that will entirely depend on its popularity. If it takes off you bet your ass gaming companies will be putting their shit on there en-masse. this service also could do classic games and other shit like that too.

• 1Like