Gamer Retirement Homes

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The games that we love to play will become the new "checkers, bingo, bridge, and matlock" and the kids will be playing some crazy new technology that we don't understand thanks to our feeble and worn-out minds.
We'll see. We've all been raised to chase after new games and new gaming technology. I just don't see a point where that'd stop.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
We'll see. We've all been raised to chase after new games and new gaming technology. I just don't see a point where that'd stop.
When you are 80 with arthritis in your hands making playing for any amount of time painful. When you no longer have any reaction speed or hand eye coordination to make any games enjoyable.

That is why EQ in a browser will be great. Slow combat, long travel and a lot of downtime.

Why wait until retirement when disability and food stamps exist?

- get a bunch of people on disability and food stamps
- rent 5 bedroom house and business class internet

Then just give extra DKP to whoever cleans or cooks.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just wish I didn't have to wait another 65 years for this.
You're not fooling anyone Zaide - you're not that young... 35 years at that most. Assuming 65 for a bottom age, and some retirement homes allow younger than that. (There's a 56 yr old in my parents Erickson community even - although she did inherit the spot when her parents died so they made a waiver for her, 62 normally is the age I think?)

Vaclav

Why wait until retirement when disability and food stamps exist?

- get a bunch of people on disability and food stamps
- rent 5 bedroom house and business class internet

Then just give extra DKP to whoever cleans or cooks.
Heh, would depend on where - renting a 5 bedroom around my current area (MD) would be really challenging for them to have anything left over for subs, utilities, or PC repairs if they're all baseline no substantial work record disability. ($730/mo I believe is the current figure - got a 2/1 bed duplex renting next door to me right now for $2k full or $2.4k split - so I'm assuming $3k for a 5)

Heh, would depend on where - renting a 5 bedroom around my current area (MD) would be really challenging for them to have anything left over for subs, utilities, or PC repairs if they're all baseline no substantial work record disability. ($730/mo I believe is the current figure - got a 2/1 bed duplex renting next door to me right now for $2k full or $2.4k split - so I'm assuming $3k for a 5)
Yeah, location would matter. Would have to be in the suburbs (so business class is available) around a less trendy city (so prices aren't that high).

Prices sound high in MD. I'm looking for a 5-bedroom around Orlando and can easily find nice ones with a pool for $250k-$300k range. Mortgage is like $1250 - $1500 a month. Five dudes on disability could pay that no problem.

Stench

Golden Knight of the Realm
I make a thread in a gaming forum suggesting a type of sandbox mmo game I would like to see made, and it gets rickshawed. But a thread in a gaming forum about retirement homes is OK? Interesting....

Vaclav

Yeah, location would matter. Would have to be in the suburbs (so business class is available) around a less trendy city (so prices aren't that high).

Prices sound high in MD. I'm looking for a 5-bedroom around Orlando and can easily find nice ones with a pool for $250k-$300k range. Mortgage is like $1250 - $1500 a month. Five dudes on disability could pay that no problem.
Yea I'm looking near Orlando right now (Space Coast specifically) because I can literally get a waterfront mansionesque property for the price of a normal two story around here with nothing of note.

Either that or North East, MD (actually a city name) which would be a ton cheaper as well and gorgeous in a different way being on a Chesapeake peninsula vs an Atlantic one.

Job market is supposed to suck there though - but I can afford it even without working until I'd find something.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Chattanooga, TN. We can get the house we need for 150-175k. Cheapest cost of living of any "decent sized" city that I've ever seen.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Good topic. My first love is board games, specifically 18xx, and that's a much older crowd than this board and needs at least four people for a solid game so the Elder Gods/Great Old Ones of 18xx gaming already have plans afoot for just this sort of thing. I'm just trying to convince them to buy it in Wyoming or Colorado or some other state that will survive the oncoming collapse of civilization.

It's all good if western civilization falls apart as long as I can still get in some 1824/1856/1870 and the occasional MTG game (pre-Ice Age/Homelands).

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
This is the best thread in the entire forum right now.

Adebisi, consider me an investor.

Also, I want a full blown drive simulator roll cage instead of a bed.
NURSE, MY TRANSMISSION IS OUT AGAIN! FUCK!

edit; I'm gonna teach these nurses how to drive stick, you follow? Yea, that's right bitch, start downshifting.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
i still havent seen my concerns regarding marijuana provisions being addressed

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've been thinking about this ever since I worked part time at an old folks home 10 years ago or so, glad to see I'm not alone! In stead of Elvis screeching from the gramaphone we'll have Metallica and the Prodigy blasting from the stereo, with the odd Tupac in for good measure.

There'll be reruns of our favourite shows on marathon runs such as Breaking Bad, GoT and shit like that. The more boobs the better!

Boardgames and card games galore. Can't wait to see old folks flip their shit over Magic.

Then there'll be the computer games. Oh my... Everything from Quake to TF2 (or TF5000 by then?). Teabagging will still exist, if only in frustration of not being able to bend over in real life any more due to arthritis. We'll still all be dreaming of the good old EQ/WoW vanilla days and saying everything since is shit and wondering when HL3 will be released.

Ventrillo will be awesome:

"Phill just died!"
"Do we have a druid who can combat res him?"
"No, I mean died died!"

"God damn it, I have grand children aggro. I told the little fuckers not to visit me during raid time!"

"Toilet break!"
[5 seconds later]
"Done!"

"Ralph! Your boots finally dropped!
"Woo...hnnggggggg...hoo! And yay for the pace maker!"