Gaming and general purpose monitors

gak

<Gold Donor>
1.jpg

Asus ROG Swift PG32UQXR with 32" 4K,160Hz, Mini LED Backlight and DisplayPort 2.1 - TFTCentral

"For CES 2023 Asus have today announced their forthcoming ROG Swift PG32UQXR gaming monitor. This is a 32″ sized screen with a 3840 x 2160 “4K” resolution and 160Hz refresh rate combined, and will be the first ROG monitor to feature the new DisplayPort 2.1 connectivity. Asus say in their press release that this will allow the screen to run at these settings without any compression.

Previous 4K 144/160Hz monitors would have used DisplayPort 1.4 with Display Stream Compression (DSC) to fit within the connections bandwidth. DSC is a visually lossless technology, so whether or not it’s any real benefit in using DP 2.1 and having a higher bandwidth to avoid DSC is questionable. Asus reference this in their press release too, saying “Many gamers find DSC to be perceptually lossless, but if you’d rather just keep compression out of the equation, then a DisplayPort 2.1 monitor is just what you need.”

But with DP 2.1 now appearing on the market, why not?! The DP 2.1 connections (there are 2x provided) would need to be at least UHBR 13.5 (total data rate 52.22 Gbps) to support 4K 160Hz 10-bit without compression, although UHBR speed is not yet listed in the Asus announcement. Have a read of our DisplayPort 2.1 article for a lot more information about all this.

2x HDMI 2.1 and a USB hub are also included, which should give good support for consoles too (HDMI featured TBC)."
~ ~ ~
ROG debuts our first DisplayPort 2.1 monitor: the ROG Swift PG32UQXR | ROG - Republic of Gamers Global

If they make a 4090ti I wonder if it will have DP 2.1, but they'll probably wait until the 5000 series...

m.gif

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm wondering if maybe I just buy the 27 inch OLED Acer announced at CES
There's an LG version of that and an ASUS version and so far the ASUS version looks the best. This is something that's going to require reviews, and also the price is a little ridiculous.

That said, if this has good picture-by-picture support and reviews well, I will replace both of my current monitors with this:

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
There's an LG version of that and an ASUS version and so far the ASUS version looks the best. This is something that's going to require reviews, and also the price is a little ridiculous.

That said, if this has good picture-by-picture support and reviews well, I will replace both of my current monitors with this:

That's going to be north of 3k

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Grabbed a LG 32'' UltraGear QHD Nano IPS 1ms 165Hz HDR Monitor with G-SYNC Compatibility (32GP83B-B) | LG USA on the cheap. Got tired of squinting at 27, so got 32. Not 4k, but they didn't have any good ones in stock. Quite a bit better than my Dell 2721DGF in every way. No more eye strain! $430.

Yeah, I replaced a 4k 32" Samsung M7 with one of these, I wanted a nice secondary monitor that had the same resolution as my G9 and an insiders campaign popped up for it at the right time.

Really want to replace the G9 w/ that new 45" LG OLED though.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah, I replaced a 4k 32" Samsung M7 with one of these, I wanted a nice secondary monitor that had the same resolution as my G9 and an insiders campaign popped up for it at the right time.

Really want to replace the G9 w/ that new 45" LG OLED though.
It will be a good second monitor. I wanted 4k, but they didn't have any good ones in stock. I didn't want to spend another second with a 27-inch main monitor, so I got this. $429 is a good price, and quite a bit better than the Dell I have. Good for games although 1440 not quite enough resolution for 31.5-inch screen, but I knew that before I bought it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
They removed the 'shipping 1/5' blurb from the 45" LG, but still says preorder :emoji_eyes:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Almost impulse bit on that but held off last night. I’d like to get a new work monitor for the new tax year but 48” just seems so huge. My desk is only 23.5” deep.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
My Flex came a few days ago, I’m quite fond of it, rather glad it’s not 4k so I can hit that cap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user