Gaming and general purpose monitors

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sold my AOC 34 Ultrawide today as I got a good offer and also found a LG 27GP850 for $350 (damaged box).

Had to search the basement for an old monitor as the new one arrives thursday/friday. Found my old 24 inch Asus 1080p and damn this feels small now when I've used Ultrawide for 2 years.

I really wanted the Ultrawide to work but it had more negatives than positives in the end when gaming. Big screen so minimaps end up far away, lower frames than 16:9 and bad/no support for the PS5.

I will probably end up with a second LG monitor next to this one if I find it on sale, one monitor feels a bit limited for sure.
Have the exact same screen and for a while I was like holy shit Ultrawide 4 LYFE!! was all into it and hype and now I'm thinking I want something different. Just looked on Amazon and I got this one August 2020! Time for something new I suppose. Don't know what else to go with though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Have the exact same screen and for a while I was like holy shit Ultrawide 4 LYFE!! was all into it and hype and now I'm thinking I want something different. Just looked on Amazon and I got this one August 2020! Time for something new I suppose. Don't know what else to go with though.
I have no regrets getting the 27" LG monitor, it is great. I do miss the UW format every now and then though. A second monitor might fix that problem but not sure if i want 2 monitors.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Gonna return the 32 LG 1440 unit. Turns out, I spend more time squinting with this than the Dell 27 1440. Oh well, buy cheap things, get cheap results. Ordered a M32U which is 4k...SHOULD MAYBE tide me over for now.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Haven't gamed yet but this has been really cool for working.

PXL_20230118_084736139.jpg

• 7Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is that just a standard laptop stand “thing?” I may like that for my office if only to elevate the laptop a bit so the screen is more level with my ultra wide and I’m not constantly shifting up and down moving between screens.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Left side macbook (Job1) is on a laptop arm. Dell notebook on the right (job2) is just on a $10 metal stand. I needed another arm kit to mount it to one of my now unused monitor arms. As the ultrawide doesn't need it. Once I get it in the mail I'll readjust a few things so both laptops are on arm mounts.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Left side macbook (Job1) is on a laptop arm. Dell notebook on the right (job2) is just on a $10 metal stand. I needed another arm kit to mount it to one of my now unused monitor arms. As the ultrawide doesn't need it. Once I get it in the mail I'll readjust a few things so both laptops are on arm mounts.

For arms, you have three options.

Buy cheap arms on Amazon, buy vendor-specific arms if you have Dell monitors, or go all the way and buy expensive Ergotron arms.

Those Uplift arms are basically just the same as the cheap Amazon arms for more money.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For arms, you have three options.

Buy cheap arms on Amazon, buy vendor-specific arms if you have Dell monitors, or go all the way and buy expensive Ergotron arms.

Those Uplift arms are basically just the same as the cheap Amazon arms for more money.
I don't need anymore arms I already have them. They came with the desk. I just need their $20 laptop mount for one.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I bought a regular stand rather than arm for the laptop. The reason I had to remove my Ergotron to begin with was the back of m desk doesn’t have a deep enough lip to clamp the standard desk mount on so I’ve got back to regular stands. The stand on the feet of the UW was nice enough that it doesn’t take up much desk estate. That laptop stand hopefully gives me a little more space also.

I also made the mistake of installing Steam and playing a game in ultra wide and it felt terrible going back to my normal gaming monitor. lol

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
88D4288B-9198-4BB2-A4FD-AC7BECF8934E.jpeg
I will get better photos later but it’s been used 30 min lol

Weird, i tried to check these on ebay and it has none listed, too bad i plan to keep it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ok man. How's the gaming? What are your PC specs? Can you drive the monitor easy enough?
Need to finish a lot of work at present so no gaming until later this week.

PC is high end enough so I should be able to get 4k out of this no sweat. Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080 TI Nvidia, 32GB RAM etc.

I'll post it later as I don't think I showed anyone here but on my desk the PC is mounted underneath it so it can raise without pulling wires and give more desk space.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Need to finish a lot of work at present so no gaming until later this week.

PC is high end enough so I should be able to get 4k out of this no sweat. Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080 TI Nvidia, 32GB RAM etc.

I'll post it later as I don't think I showed anyone here but on my desk the PC is mounted underneath it so it can raise without pulling wires and give more desk space.

Thx