Gaming and general purpose monitors

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I was hoping to find a very thin 27-32” to use as a Smart Mirror during Prime Days but got too distracted to look. The Samsung Frame TVs had a decent discount going on, but I’m not paying $600+ for an experiment.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ended up buying these two single arms from that same company. They seem basically identical even though they're two separate listings, but at least it let me get the full discounts/coupons on them both without having to find someone else with Prime to buy one for me. Ended up $100 for the pair.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
My 2x Ergotron Trace arms are the best dumb things I've ever bought. I use the shit out of them every day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I have an expensive Ergotron multi monitor / laptop mount that was really expensive, but it's about 12 years old at this point. Not going anywhere, just works.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So guys whats the hot 32-34" 4k gaming/general monitor these days? Not terribly picky about refresh rate although if it was 120hz+ that would be fine. Currently using a 34" Dell U3415W, so I'm obviously not terribly picky. This is to go beside the other one for a second PC.

Any recommendations? Since I'm not terribly picky would not prefer the most expensive ones.

Thanks,

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So guys whats the hot 32-34" 4k gaming/general monitor these days? Not terribly picky about refresh rate although if it was 120hz+ that would be fine. Currently using a 34" Dell U3415W, so I'm obviously not terribly picky. This is to go beside the other one for a second PC.

Any recommendations? Since I'm not terribly picky would not prefer the most expensive ones.

Thanks,

The problem is that segment is very small. If you want a 4k 32" monitor, you either get cheap whatever with some of those features missing (refresh, resolution, panel type, etc.) for 250-300 range, or you buy something along the lines of this:

or

But at $700-$800 range, you can get a renewed LG C3 42" for $875 (or new C2 for not that much more on sales recently).

Or if you only want 60 hz, you can get any of the normal productivity IPS panels from LG or similar and they're fine. If you're OK with UW monitors, that's not 4k in those sizes, but the Alienware ultrawides are, IMO, the best looking out of all of them but they are closer to a grand - LG ultragear ones are nice too but still $800ish. I do not like Samsung too many issues over the years with their panels.

This is the one I own, and am very happy with for mixed productivity and gaming/etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That one is 2k, what about this one?

If you are ok with VA panels and QC issues, that one is fine. I've seen it at Microcenter. However viewing angle is a killer if you're not directly in front of it. I also was not impressed with backlight bleed - which sort of ruins the one good thing VA panels have which is very dark blacks. If that was $300 its a no brainer, at $600 its most of an actual good monitor, IMO.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>

Thanks,
The Samsung OLED G8 34" Ultrawide and the LG C3 42" are the only two high-end monitors I feel are worth getting right now.

Alienware is coming out with a 4K QD-OLED 32" soon though.

You should wait for that, it looks fucking sick.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>

240hz, its going to be $1600 I bet
Yeah, that's the same as the Dell one. I will always pick AW over ASUS given the same specs, Dell warranty support is solid and the build quality is usually a bit less clunky. ASUS branding is just... ugh. That reminds me, I need to dump my PG279QM.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Looking for a 4k gaming monitor for my PC, around USD$500 give or take. Probably 27" but maybe ill look at 32" although I think that's probably too big for how close I sit to my desk.
Gigabyte M27U or Samsung G70B look good, or Dell G3223Q.. Anything else that would be worth looking at?

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Looking for a 4k gaming monitor for my PC, around USD$500 give or take. Probably 27" but maybe ill look at 32" although I think that's probably too big for how close I sit to my desk.
Gigabyte M27U or Samsung G70B look good, or Dell G3223Q.. Anything else that would be worth looking at?
Look up for 32-34 info, just discussed this size category for 4k.

300 gets you an OK VA panel or 60hz IPS.
600-800 gets you a nice IPS.
1000+ gets you OLED.

You have to give up something to stay below 500 right now.

For 27" you can find tons of decent to nice IPS or VA panels (depending on preferences) from most manufacturers. I recommend LG panels, I like Dells/Alienware QC and warranty for screens because I can't stand a single dead pixel. Unfortunately exotic stuff like OLED is still 1k+, might as well get a 42" LG C2 or C3 at that point.

I recommend looking up the ones you're interested in on rtings like

TBH, best bet is go to a Best buy or even better a micro center if possible. I did a 180 on my monitor purchase seeing stuff in person.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The problem is that segment is very small. If you want a 4k 32" monitor, you either get cheap whatever with some of those features missing (refresh, resolution, panel type, etc.) for 250-300 range, or you buy something along the lines of this:

or

But at $700-$800 range, you can get a renewed LG C3 42" for $875 (or new C2 for not that much more on sales recently).

Or if you only want 60 hz, you can get any of the normal productivity IPS panels from LG or similar and they're fine. If you're OK with UW monitors, that's not 4k in those sizes, but the Alienware ultrawides are, IMO, the best looking out of all of them but they are closer to a grand - LG ultragear ones are nice too but still $800ish. I do not like Samsung too many issues over the years with their panels.

This is the one I own, and am very happy with for mixed productivity and gaming/etc.

I got the LG 32" Ultragear one. Thanks for the recommendations.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have no idea if this is any good, or a good deal, but I thought of you guys when I saw the offer when Best Buy tried to convince me to spend for Black Friday "early". Apparently you get another $100 off if you are an upgraded credit card member, whatever that is. I have their credit card, but no idea what the upgrades are. I won't be buying this as I just got a new monitor (and I can't afford it), but maybe one of you will be interested.

It's a big fucking monitor anyway, and the reviews seem to like it.

EDIT: In case the price doesn't come through properly, it shows as $1399 on my screen.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I have no idea if this is any good, or a good deal, but I thought of you guys when I saw the offer when Best Buy tried to convince me to spend for Black Friday "early". Apparently you get another $100 off if you are an upgraded credit card member, whatever that is. I have their credit card, but no idea what the upgrades are. I won't be buying this as I just got a new monitor (and I can't afford it), but maybe one of you will be interested.

It's a big fucking monitor anyway, and the reviews seem to like it.

EDIT: In case the price doesn't come through properly, it shows as $1399 on my screen.

I have the non OLED. I can absolutely say that it's a fantastic monitor for gaming and immersion. For that price I would pick it up with zero regrets.

• 1Like