Gaming and general purpose monitors

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This may be the year I finally upgrade my monitors... anyone seeing anything decent for Black Friday? I think I'm finally ready to go from 2 monitors to a single.
What do you want? There's like 34 directions to go in. Big or small? Fast or slow? What Content? Ultrawide or no?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
32" at least, not ultrawide but widescreen is fine (assuming 34" is minimum for widescreen?).
Mid range for specs is fine, I don't need/want something top of the line and I'm not playing any brand new games at 120fps or anything. I currently have a 3060Ti and 5600X if that helps narrow things down.

How about either of these?

or

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
32" at least, not ultrawide but widescreen is fine (assuming 34" is minimum for widescreen?).
Mid range for specs is fine, I don't need/want something top of the line and I'm not playing any brand new games at 120fps or anything. I currently have a 3060Ti and 5600X if that helps narrow things down.

How about either of these?
So those are VA panels, which is fine, they do have their advantages (refresh rate, latency and darker blacks). They tend to be less bright, and the viewing angle for some of them is really bad and the colors are not always the best. I don't think you'd be unhappy with the UltraGear if you truly just want a basic monitor and don't need to be wowed.

If you really want a decent monitor for multi-use then you can go up to IPS. The cheaper ones all tend to be in the high end VA range, but if you want more than 60hz refresh you have to probably spend a few hundred more.

IPS 60hz

vs say

or

But man this deal is good if you want slightly bigger and want an amazing picture you won't feel like upgrading for quite a while. I have this and it is really impressive all around for productivity and all sorts of gaming. The bonus 400 pixels and height does make a difference if you want one monitor and want to run two or 3 windows. I would say I ran this on a 3070 for a while and it was fine but struggled with modern games due to the resolution. For example was running medium settings in Darktide.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Otto

I have the LG version of that Alienware. LG 38GN950 and it is one of the best monitors I have ever owned. Awesome resolution at 3840x1600 and buttery smooth with G-Sync Ultimate. Only downside is the terrible contrast levels.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I have the LG version of that Alienware. LG 38GN950 and it is one of the best monitors I have ever owned. Awesome resolution at 3840x1600 and buttery smooth with G-Sync Ultimate. Only downside is the terrible contrast levels.

Yea I mean OLEDs got the jump on that (and some nice VA panels I guess), but I don't really notice with HDR on and the lighting in the room.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Any amazing Black Friday deals?

Decent sales, but nothing so amazing I bought just because. Good time to get a good monitor, bad time to get a steal if you don't really need one?

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Decent sales, but nothing so amazing I bought just because. Good time to get a good monitor, bad time to get a steal if you don't really need one?

Yeah, I’m using a 55” C2, so if a found a couple of really good 27 or 32 inchers I’d pull the trigger.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
why do you want to downgrade, just productivity use?

I use a camera on an arm swing for a lot of meetings and it’s annoying bc it covers half the screen. I’d rather be able to use the other monitor.

I also think there are better computer monitors to get higher frame rates and resolution.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I use a camera on an arm swing for a lot of meetings and it’s annoying bc it covers half the screen. I’d rather be able to use the other monitor.

I also think there are better computer monitors to get higher frame rates and resolution.
Yea, there's lots of decent deals, that 27" Mist posted is pretty good. 32s still overpriced. Good deals on Ultrawides.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

This might be another decent cheapo.

Though, apparently according to CamelCamelCamel, it can go down as low as $209.

• 1Garbage

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Just bought this should be here in a week or so - basically what I've been waiting for but wish it was slightly larger and non-curved. HDMI 2.1 4k OLED 240HZ DOLBY VISION.

Perfect world would be similar specs but 38" and non curved glossy screen. About time monitor technology is catching up to GPU technology - there is a gigabyte one coming later this year that has DP 2.1 that looks great as well with the same screen but flat - will use this one a while and wait for reviews on the other ones as they come in. Going to be a really neat year for monitor tech it looks like.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Im thinking about doing a lazy man's setup with a recliner. I keep flip flopping on whether I want to be at my desk anymore. So Im thinking of a monitor stand, (if it holds two, I wont be upset), that I can swing in front of me while on the recliner. Anyone seen anything that isnt as low quality as this tablet holder, but is essentially the same thing that isnt 500 bucks?
51YGE9j-49L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Just bought this should be here in a week or so - basically what I've been waiting for but wish it was slightly larger and non-curved. HDMI 2.1 4k OLED 240HZ DOLBY VISION.

Perfect world would be similar specs but 38" and non curved glossy screen. About time monitor technology is catching up to GPU technology - there is a gigabyte one coming later this year that has DP 2.1 that looks great as well with the same screen but flat - will use this one a while and wait for reviews on the other ones as they come in. Going to be a really neat year for monitor tech it looks like.
I don't even notice the 1800R curve on my OLED G8. I doubt 1700R will be noticeable at 32 inches.

I kinda want the Dell, because it looks fucking amazing, but there's benefits and drawbacks to Ultrawide and I'm not sure which would ultimately be best.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Im thinking about doing a lazy man's setup with a recliner. I keep flip flopping on whether I want to be at my desk anymore. So Im thinking of a monitor stand, (if it holds two, I wont be upset), that I can swing in front of me while on the recliner. Anyone seen anything that isnt as low quality as this tablet holder, but is essentially the same thing that isnt 500 bucks?
I've been doing the La-z-boy thing for quite a while now. I just bought a standing desk to help me get back in shape, though, so I guess
I'm moving in the opposite direction. lol

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I own it it’s my favorite monitor

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Can you weld or are you close to a wall where you're wanting to sit? Some monitor mounts will fit around a 1" iron pipe (like THIS, Amazon has it's own house brand of the same size too).

So, you can either buy a steel plate that your chair can sit on, then weld up a pipe to the position you want (I know little about what strength/reinforcement/bracing you would need for this), or mount the pipe to the wall (make sure to find the studs) just like various shelf projects using pipes (shelf projects: THIS or THIS). For the wall mounted option, it wouldn't need to go to the floor if your not going to put a huge amount a weight on them (100+ lbs), and that would remove any chance of knocking the pipe with your leg.

Quick-edit: For a no-weld free standing idea, you may be able to make a base out of something like wood, to sit your chair on, then use one of the deep pipe flanges, to screw the pipe into, but no idea how good/crap that will look. Off-hand, I would think the base would need to be too thick, which will probably look bad, but with some effort, you might be able to give it a finished look.

Since the monitor mounts swing, you could probably set up a standing/sitting station, if you can figure out how to get a solid keyboard/mouse base to swing out from a mount of some kind, when standing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like