Gaming and general purpose monitors

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Someone mentioned a vertical monitor for programming work, can anyone chime in on that alone? Worth the setup?

I have a the standard laptop - ultrawidescreen - regular widescreen for my work and home setup. I'm trying to think how a vertical widescreen would fit into both work and home setups seemlessly. Right now, for the home setup, the regular widescreen is used for things like youtube and netflix while playing a game on the ultrawidescreen. I don't think a vertical widescreen would work too well there.

I guess I could ditch the laptop screen as an actual display and put the vertical there? Hmmm, running out of desk space...

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Literally just bought this yesterday! Can't wait!

When does it come in? My near decade old 1080p 24" ws 60hz generic died recently and was looking at this as a much needed upgrade, but can't find them in stock around 450 USD anywhere :(

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When does it come in? My near decade old 1080p 24" ws 60hz generic died recently and was looking at this as a much needed upgrade, but can't find them in stock around 450 USD anywhere :(
Got it off Amazon, they come in stock every once in a while and got lucky to find it in stock. It's pretty awesome. Mine has troubles at 144hz, but is really stable at 120hz, so that's where I left it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Someone mentioned a vertical monitor for programming work, can anyone chime in on that alone? Worth the setup?

I have a the standard laptop - ultrawidescreen - regular widescreen for my work and home setup. I'm trying to think how a vertical widescreen would fit into both work and home setups seemlessly. Right now, for the home setup, the regular widescreen is used for things like youtube and netflix while playing a game on the ultrawidescreen. I don't think a vertical widescreen would work too well there.

I guess I could ditch the laptop screen as an actual display and put the vertical there? Hmmm, running out of desk space...

I use a regular screen and a vertical off to the right side for books, reference and such. You are right, run out of room in a hurry like that and the vertical gets pushed back when not in use.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Got my Monoprice 34” Dark Matter in on Friday. Great monitor, no flickering, no dead pixels,etc. For £500 it’s absolutely excellent. Selling my AOC now, can’t deal with the constant flickering.

• 1Like

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
Is anyone using the LG 48" OLED TV as a monitor? I thought I saw someone talking about it somewhere on here...

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've talked about it and still considering it but haven't made a purchase yet. I haven't come up with a desk solution I like quite yet. I imagine a wall mount setup but having the desk pulled away from the wall a good bit so your not right in front of it but that doesn't seem all that appealing to me either.

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
I've talked about it and still considering it but haven't made a purchase yet. I haven't come up with a desk solution I like quite yet. I imagine a wall mount setup but having the desk pulled away from the wall a good bit so your not right in front of it but that doesn't seem all that appealing to me either.

Yeah I am thinking of wall mounting it with as slim as a mount I can find, I see people who are using it as a PC monitor are loving it. If I did get one I would get it through Costco or Sams I think so I could return it without any issues if I ended up not liking it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
For any Canadians looking for a decent cheap second monitor. One of the better deals I've seen lately.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

in stock finally - reserved mine at microcenter today

I can't make this up. My car needs two lower control arms. Guess where THAT money came from today. I've been waiting on this for months and this shit happens....FML.

Last edited:
  • 3Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anybody know about this bad boy?

Looking for a 1440p/144hz ultrawide with speakers.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There isn't a monitor in the world that has speakers in it that don't sound like tin cans. Why would you want to use them?

• 1Truth!

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
There isn't a monitor in the world that has speakers in it that don't sound like tin cans. Why would you want to use them?

Because I only use external speakers for listening to things that don't require amazing sound.

If I really want to hear what is going on, I use headphones.

Right now I have two annoying speakers on either side of my monitor and an annoying "subwoofer" on the floor that provides literally nothing to the sound quality given its small size and location in the room.

• 1Like