Gaming and general purpose monitors

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fucker

Log Wizard
Dell S2721DGF Review

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Because I only use external speakers for listening to things that don't require amazing sound.

If I really want to hear what is going on, I use headphones.

Right now I have two annoying speakers on either side of my monitor and an annoying "subwoofer" on the floor that provides literally nothing to the sound quality given its small size and location in the room.
Man, I haven't been in a situation where I could actually use external speakers in so long I can't even remember. I sometimes long for the days when I had a decent sound system on my computer and I could crank it up every once in awhile, but these days that's not possible with kids, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had a lot of flickering on my asus Rog monitor until I turned g-sync off. Now it's perfect. But why would that happen ? I tried to search around the net but couldn't find anything. I tried to change the displayport cable, didn't do anything.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's likely a driver problem or defective monitor. It's common enough that I tend to believe the drivers are shit.

I have gsync on on my monitor (fullscreen only), and haven't had issues - 2070 super and the LG 27 83a or whatever model number it is.

Question for the bros - since i'm not permanently working from home, my 4 monitor setup is driving me nuts. Can anyone recommend a good quality monitor stand where I can stack two monitors on top of eachother?

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
At that LG's price I would be looking at a Samsung Odyssey G9 unless you don't have room for it or something

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
At that LG's price I would be looking at a Samsung Odyssey G9 unless you don't have room for it or something
While the Samsung is a beast, for my purposes it's just too wide. I am planning to put another monitor next to it.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I have the sister to that monitor and it is so nice. Before I researched monitors I would've never thought ot look at LG
It came in today and I never owned an IPS monitor before. My Dell is nice monitor (a TN) but the LG blows it out the water and I haven't even calibrated it yet. I did alot of research and many sites and reviewers highly recommended the LG. But yeah I never considered looking at an LG for a gaming monitor.

Did you calibrate it and if so what are your settings?

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I am thinking about buying the LG 38WN95C. Please tell me to be a responsible adult and/or that it's shit:

I had the 38GN950 and it was pretty sweet of a monitor - i have no complaints about it - I picked it over a G9 simply because of picture quality - However in the end i got rid of that for the CX48 since all the prices are more or less the same, may as well have the best.

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
I had the 38GN950 and it was pretty sweet of a monitor - i have no complaints about it - I picked it over a G9 simply because of picture quality - However in the end i got rid of that for the CX48 since all the prices are more or less the same, may as well have the best.

How long have you had the cx48? Is it as amazing as I imagine it to be? Any complaints?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Contemplating second monitor choices, anyone use a pen display? I'm thinking of something that will be usable outside of just a second display. I'm not much of an artist besides music but the idea of a drawing display is pretty appealing. Something like this:

Probable not wanting to spend that much but maybe.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
How long have you had the cx48? Is it as amazing as I imagine it to be? Any complaints?

Well its an OLED panel that hits 4k120 with its perfect blacks - so you can pretty much imagine how glorious it is.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Probable not wanting to spend that much but maybe.
Those cheaper brands/models may have issues with cable stability or the pen precision - and they need almost always use custom cables. Most of them are pen only and not touch, and have a battery in the pen.

Using them as a secondary monitor requires a monitor mount that can be tilted for pen use - and then the arm has to be stable enough for pen use that it doesn't sag when you put pressure into it.

Wacom is the premium brand, and only they have pens without batteries and some real nifty things like tool id (tablet differentiates between different pens) and special pens.

• 1Like

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
Well its an OLED panel that hits 4k120 with its perfect blacks - so you can pretty much imagine how glorious it is.
Damnit, I want one.

Are you concerned at all about burn in? It seems like Best Buy is the only ones I saw that have the warranty to cover burn in, but its $314 dollars for it. Which would be worth it if it did actually get some burn in I would think.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If it's like my older LG OLED it will run a pixilation thing when it's off that prevents that sort of thing.